Princess Plus and what you get

We have not sailed on Princess in 2 years and see that Princess Plus offerings have changed slightly. According to my research you now get 2 casual meals and 2 premium desserts per day. Not sure what this includes and where those options are found. Any information on this would be appreciated.

In the past we use to have lunch in the pizza restaurant (Gigi's I believe) and that was no charge. Is that still the case? 

Any information would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Atlantic Canada2 said:

We have not sailed on Princess in 2 years and see that Princess Plus offerings have changed slightly. According to my research you now get 2 casual meals and 2 premium desserts per day. Not sure what this includes and where those options are found. Any information on this would be appreciated.

In the past we use to have lunch in the pizza restaurant (Gigi's I believe) and that was no charge. Is that still the case? 

Any information would be appreciated. 

The desserts are hideous. Huge things. My wife tried one "just because" but I would never eat even one on a cruise let alone 2 per day.

The casual dining will vary depending on which ship you are sailing. If you let us know which ship you will be on we can tell you what the Casual Dining options will be. The Casual Dining is 2 per cruise - not per day.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

On Enchanted, the casual options are GiGis, O'Malley's, and the sushi place. With the Plus package, you get two casual meals, which will be the "prix fixe" option (appetizer, entree, dessert). Unfortunately, GiGi's is no longer a complimentary venue.

The premium desserts are available at the Gelateria. You can get one of the sundaes or a slice of cake. While both were good, I'd have to have been wheelbarrowed off the ship if I ate two a day. 

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The desserts are hideous. Huge things. My wife tried one "just because" but I would never eat even one on a cruise let alone 2 per day.

The casual dining will vary depending on which ship you are sailing. If you let us know which ship you will be on we can tell you what the Casual Dining options will be. The Casual Dining is 2 per cruise - not per day.

Hold that thought ;o) We're on the Emerald right now and just tried one of the desserts that come with Premier. NOT the horrid plastic monstrosities in the tall glass jars that look they were designed by a team of 7 year olds, but the cakes. We tried the chocolate cake at the IC ($5 unless you have a Package) and it was actually a real, proper excellent cake, far better than any cake we have ever had on a Princess ship. So there is hope....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you would like to see the menu for your dining options check post #290:

Edited by Thrak
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Hold that thought ;o) We're on the Emerald right now and just tried one of the desserts that come with Premier. NOT the horrid plastic monstrosities in the tall glass jars that look they were designed by a team of 7 year olds, but the cakes. We tried the chocolate cake at the IC ($5 unless you have a Package) and it was actually a real, proper excellent cake, far better than any cake we have ever had on a Princess ship. So there is hope....

That seems to vary by cruise/ship.  Some have reported the cake as "tasteless". Like most things with Princess "it depends" seems to be the norm.

Note: I don't really care for cake but my wife does. I just asked her about her opinion since she tried the cake. Her reply, "Not impressed. They look better than they taste." This was on Discovery Princess last April.

Posted (edited)

We did two cruises in December, one on the Sky, where the ice cream dessert was ridiculous and over the top. Hubby tried to get them to tone it down but was rebuffed (he'd have to pay if he only wanted ice cream and sauce).

The Caribean Princess only offered two choices for the ice cream desserts, and they were much tamer.

We have two (long) cruises coming up on the Regal, and I know Hubby is looking forward to seeing those offerings.

I don't eat ice cream or cake, but he does, and he looks forward to having a few desserts.

Sky:

sky.thumb.jpg.acf2b0fb7c073989e570b4d1cf8e5a0c.jpg

sky-1.thumb.jpg.0d0ed4aaf87214f89a97a23aa645e55f.jpg

Caribean:

caribeaan.thumb.jpg.1eec97155c38cbda0ddb91b108dba567.jpg

Edited by xamsx
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That seems to vary by cruise/ship.  Some have reported the cake as "tasteless". Like most things with Princess "it depends" seems to be the norm.

Note: I don't really care for cake but my wife does. I just asked her about her opinion since she tried the cake. Her reply, "Not impressed. They look better than they taste." This was on Discovery Princess last April.

They surely do vary by ship, but the "Premier" package chocolate cake on the Emerald was excellent. That being said every outlet on the ship was utterly unable to make a palatable Cappuccino, while on the Discovery, last time we were on her, they were fine.

• Haha 1

Here’s what the plus & premier package desserts look like. You will find the location varies ship to ship where you find them. Some ships that’s the gelateria area, coffee, and cones, & international café. Most of the ice cream desserts people are really not liking. The sprinkles and the chocolate sauce on the side are not meant to be eaten. They are frozen onto the glass. Well they like them, but they try it once and then they’re done. Not many people have said they’ve experienced the alcohol in them. The ad was apparently just for show. I would say more people like the cakes, but haven’t seen too much overwhelming response that they would keep eating it over and over.IMG_0127.png.265f2fd35dadebb4695c921bd0adacf5.png

IMG_0106.jpeg.a99631b34707e3c39730a2a4fb0ee766.jpeg

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.22b45fbeb81aef61df9fae364c7e91bb.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg.6fbdbf9fc2346379fe61d34ba0924fc1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

The gelato is heavenly. 

Yes, the sundaes they push are over the top, but just as many people would complain if they were small.

2 hours ago, Its the journey said:

The gelato is heavenly. 

Yes, the sundaes they push are over the top, but just as many people would complain if they were small.

If I ate one of those it would quite possibly have to be my food intake for the entire day!

56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If I ate one of those it would quite possibly have to be my food intake for the entire day!

You may be surprised.  Gelato is much more lower in calories and fat than ice cream.  

As to the large looking premium desserts, most of the toppings are frozen to the glass.  And the glass is very narrow after the first inch or two.

I pick off the candy, and eat what ends up being about two nice scoops of gelato, with a very meager amount of a topping. Not a bad treat at all.

(I discard the candy for fear of breaking a tooth, not due to a horror of sweets)

I am also in the confused club!!!! Going on Regal in September. Can anybody tell what the casual dining venues are please? Is the pop up crab shack counted? Thank you.

Can we remove the plus package if we chose it when we booked the cruise? This is the first time we'll have this on Princess since it's been a while, so we thought we try it; After reading so many posts about it, we don't think it's worth it for us for 7 nts. We also got it for our transatlantic next year. That might be a better deal since it's 16 nts. 

15 hours ago, xamsx said:

We did two cruises in December, one on the Sky, where the ice cream dessert was ridiculous and over the top. Hubby tried to get them to tone it down but was rebuffed (he'd have to pay if he only wanted ice cream and sauce)

There is nothing that excludes only ice cream/Gelato. Here are the specific terms and conditions. 

*Premium Desserts is limited to 2 desserts per guest per day during the voyage. Excludes SMiZE premium ice creams. Gratuities included; not valid using OceanNow feature within the Princess® App. Only available during open hours of the venue at which dessert is available. 

Only SMiZE is excluded and you can't order through OceanNow. Listing only a couple limitations implies every other dessert is included. I've read stories about passengers being charged but this is a Princess not living up to their terms and conditions. I am on a cruise in a few weeks and if they try to tell me I have to pay I'll be demanding a refund from guest services with these terms and conditions in hand. Everyone should do this. Princess needs to stand behind their obligations, not trying to squeeze every penny out of our pockets they can.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions

1 hour ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

There is nothing that excludes only ice cream/Gelato. Here are the specific terms and conditions. 

*Premium Desserts is limited to 2 desserts per guest per day during the voyage. Excludes SMiZE premium ice creams. Gratuities included; not valid using OceanNow feature within the Princess® App. Only available during open hours of the venue at which dessert is available. 

Only SMiZE is excluded and you can't order through OceanNow. Listing only a couple limitations implies every other dessert is included. I've read stories about passengers being charged but this is a Princess not living up to their terms and conditions. I am on a cruise in a few weeks and if they try to tell me I have to pay I'll be demanding a refund from guest services with these terms and conditions in hand. Everyone should do this. Princess needs to stand behind their obligations, not trying to squeeze every penny out of our pockets they can.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions

Princess states "Premium Deserts" are included - not all deserts. They can define "Premium Deserts" however they want. If you want to go to Guest Services, you'll just be wasting your time as well as the time of the Princess employee and the other passengers in line behind you. Why complain to the Guest Services employee who has nothing to do with setting the policy defining a "Premium Desert"?

2 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

Can we remove the plus package if we chose it when we booked the cruise? This is the first time we'll have this on Princess since it's been a while, so we thought we try it; After reading so many posts about it, we don't think it's worth it for us for 7 nts. We also got it for our transatlantic next year. That might be a better deal since it's 16 nts. 

I assume you have the Plus fare - not the separate (way overpriced) Plus drink package. It is not considered a separate package (cancellable before the cruise) - it is part of the fare subject to the same cancellation penalties as the rest of the fare. If you want to change to the basic fare (before final payment), that would be a refare which may require paying the current basic fare (not the fare at the time you booked).

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess states "Premium Deserts" are included - not all deserts. They can define "Premium Deserts" however they want. If you want to go to Guest Services, you'll just be wasting your time as well as the time of the Princess employee and the other passengers in line behind you. Why complain to the Guest Services employee who has nothing to do with setting the policy defining a "Premium Desert"?

The terms and conditions is a legal contract. It is where they have to define what Premium Desserts means and they explicitly say two desserts per day per cruise, excluding SMiZE. They don't say specific Desserts on a specific menu labelled 'Premium Desserts' you will find on the cruise. They mention dessert but not SMiZE.

The Premium package has these terms 

*Premium Desserts are only available during the voyage during open hours of the venue at which dessert is available. Excludes SMiZE premium ice creams. Gratuities included; not valid using OceanNow feature within the Princess® App.

Again  they only exclude SMiZE, and only during open hours of the venue at which *dessert* is available. That means any dessert. Not just desserts in fancy cups and colorful candy.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lionstc said:

I am also in the confused club!!!! Going on Regal in September. Can anybody tell what the casual dining venues are please? Is the pop up crab shack counted? Thank you.

@lionstc  also in post 5 (PDF list is a year old so some minor changes)

or this

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/food-and-dining

dining-options.pdf

Edited by t&atravel