To internet or not?

I used to be totally anti-internet when cruising.  Used to be. Especially when I was working, the last thing I wanted was any contact with the world.

These days I am sometimes cruising solo, and internet allows facetime with hubs while I'm gone.  That's how it started.  Now it fills in the gaps of the odd times when I'm up way too early and makes me look like I'm doing something while having coffee 🤣

I do not get the internet. The cruise is the entertainment and vacation for me. I may have paid $1800 to $2500 for the cruise. I could stay home and play on the internet and save the cruise expense. I do watch the news, but I have told my wife many times, I could watch the news on Monday and the news channel will be telling the same thing on Friday. If I need to talk to my kids, I will text them when I am in port. I do not have a need to send them a picture of my food. It looks the same as the last 20 cruises and they have seen it in person. A good book is just fine.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 8:48 AM, balcony bound said:

I used to be totally anti-internet when cruising.  Used to be. Especially when I was working, the last thing I wanted was any contact with the world.

These days I am sometimes cruising solo, and internet allows facetime with hubs while I'm gone.  That's how it started.  Now it fills in the gaps of the odd times when I'm up way too early and makes me look like I'm doing something while having coffee 🤣

Several cruises ago I learned by accident that while on board using my ship’s internet (Value plan) I could text from my iPhone to someone with an iPhone back home as long as they too were in WiFi. Before that, I had just emailed. Are you saying in this situation I can FaceTime, too? 

2 hours ago, carol louise said:

Several cruises ago I learned by accident that while on board using my ship’s internet (Value plan) I could text from my iPhone to someone with an iPhone back home as long as they too were in WiFi. Before that, I had just emailed. Are you saying in this situation I can FaceTime, too? 

yes, if you have an iPhone you can use FaceTime with ship internet. I have used FaceTime to talk with my family using ship internet over the last several years.

• Thanks 1

Going anti-internet is such an area of pride for many people. It used to be about $6 a day so I could read articles while in the sun or have someone contact me, seemed worth it. Not the end of the world. Now at almost $20 a day, I reconsider. 

@jimbo5544 regarding your youtube question, it doesn't give you any advantages for posting that I'm aware of. It's a viewing thing. It gets rid of all ads, allows you to download for offline viewing, watch/listen in the background or with your screen turned off, ad free music on youtube music. I pay $11/month on an annual subscription.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

@jimbo5544 regarding your youtube question, it doesn't give you any advantages for posting that I'm aware of. It's a viewing thing. It gets rid of all ads, allows you to download for offline viewing, watch/listen in the background or with your screen turned off, ad free music on youtube music. I pay $11/month on an annual subscription.

huh....thanks

All our past cruises wife and I never got internet, we wanted to be cut off from the real world for the whole time. As soon as we got on the ship and let family know we were onboard, phones went on airplane mode and lived in the safe the majority of the cruise LOL.

I still have no desire to be in contact with the real world, however my wife works remotely these days so if we ever go on a cruise and she doesn't want to burn PTO I could see us getting it if she thought she might work some. I don't us using it for much of anything else though.

• 2 weeks later...

We buy it.  For the usual reasons already covered.  Keeping up with family & friends, posting pic's, keep up with the news, etc.   Also, Mrs Ldubs might give me a call or text while on board.  

On 7/21/2024 at 8:55 PM, jxtgreek said:

Just curious about internet during a cruise.  Do you cut yourself off and really vacation or do you still need to hear from the outside world?  I personally stay away and enjoy my time away from the day to day rat race. 

We never used internet on a cruise.