Which is the sunny side

Hello ,we have booked a South American cruise next November on the Equinox .There  are two bookings and one has been told to book starboard for the views of the coast line and the sun .Yet we were told by our TA to book port side to have a sunny balcony .

Its not usually something we take into consideration but as we are going transatlantic and there are a lot if sea days we would like the sun on the balcony .

I know there are lots of well informed cruisers on here and would appreciate your advice .

thank you in advance 

2 hours ago, margo2011 said:

Hello ,we have booked a South American cruise next November on the Equinox .There  are two bookings and one has been told to book starboard for the views of the coast line and the sun .Yet we were told by our TA to book port side to have a sunny balcony .

Its not usually something we take into consideration but as we are going transatlantic and there are a lot if sea days we would like the sun on the balcony .

I know there are lots of well informed cruisers on here and would appreciate your advice .

thank you in advance 

Going from Europe to BA?  Take the port side to maximize sun; starboard if you prefer shade; don't worry about views of the coast line as there won't be many of those available.

• Like 1

It’s like they are doing the crossing since that is the only South America in November. I agree that it is not worth thinking about views of the coastline since when you are sailing you are far enough away that you cannot see the coast in order to be in international waters.  So if you want sun on your balcony, book on the Portside

Posted (edited)

We are also on this cruise , you should join the roll call !

we pick a cabin on the starboard side 

My thinking we should get more of the afternoon/ evening sun,

if we were staying North of the Equator I would pick port side , l like we did for this November TA to Florida from Lisbon 

if I pick wrong , I am still on the ship and I could be to hot to sit in the sun , 

First world problems 😉😁

IMG_7472.jpeg

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We are also on this cruise , 

I thinking we should get more of the afternoon/ evening sun

IMG_7472.jpeg

For sure.  I guess you have to decide whether you want the sun in the morning or afternoon.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We are also on this cruise , you should join the roll call !

My thinking we should get more of the afternoon/ evening sun,

if we were staying North of the Equator I would pick port side , l like we did for this November TA to Florida from Lisbon 

if I pick wrong , I am still on the ship and I could be to hot to sit in the sun , 

First world problems 😉😁

IMG_7472.jpeg

We are on this cruise as well. We booked an aft suite so we should be good either way 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

You do know the suns moves, right?

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually its the earth moving, but your point is well taken - LOL.

And the ship is moving 😉😁

which side to book is better question than “why can’t I wear shorts in the evening in the MDR” 😉🤣

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

And the ship is moving 😉😁

which side to book is better question than “why can’t I wear shorts in the evening in the MDR” 😉🤣

...and, as I mentioned on another similar thread, we solved our "which side" issue on our October 2025 transatlantic by booking an aft facing stateroom. LOL.

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and, as I mentioned on another similar thread, we solved our "which side" issue on our October 2025 transatlantic by booking an aft facing stateroom. LOL.

It is back if you want morning sun or afternoon sun

westbound cruise to Florida in an aft cabin you will get sun raise and no sunset

on the cruise that was asked about , south of the equator you could get both 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

POSH port out starboard home from Europe to the Americas…

Sorry POSH has nothing whatever to do with Europe to America sailings.

P and O used it on baggage tags for the England to India route and was designed to keep ladies out of the morning sun. At the time when being a lady required you to have the whitest possible skin and any form of tan was referred to as "going native".

Bags also had NWOV Tags indicating that could go in the hold as it was was Not Wanted On Voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

You do know the suns moves, right?

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually its the earth moving, but your point is well taken - LOL.

And the earth is totally flat.... 😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SchoolNurseMom said:

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Look at your itinerary and see what you think. 😊

When the cruise takes a SW course, and the calendar indicates that the Summer Solstice is far back in the rear view mirror in the N hemisphere, you might want to give the sun's N/S position as much credit as you do E/W, especially early in the cruise.

• Like 3