Unlimited Dining: Symphony 8/9/24

6 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

What restaurants are open on Day 1 for lunch on Symphony?

The app should list the operating times of all the dining venues on board. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pcur said:

When I've purchased a UDP package, I go through the Cruise Planner and find out what restaurants are open on which days for lunch. Then, I make a list of the reservations I want for dinners and lunches. We go to lunch on day 1 in a specialty restaurant, and I had the staff person at the podium a tip and my list, requesting they make the reservations for the entire cruise for me.

On the Freedom next month my sister and I have 7 dinners and 4 lunches we will reserve. I may use the package for a JR afternoon visit one day with another friend on the ship.

thanks.  Seems like a very good strategy.😀

11 hours ago, artvlay said:

I can't believe that they don't give you a hard time. I thought it was dinners and lunch only on sea days.

When they changed the UDP from Ultimate Dining Plan to Unlimited Dining Plan a while back, the new "rule" became, "...if the restaurant is open (serving) and you can get in, it is included...".  Since then, of course, there have been many new limitations to the UDP so IMO they should revert back to Ultimate Dining vs Unlimited as it is ANYTHING but unlimited these days.  So basically, if the restaurant is eligible, and if it is open, your UDP will work there, regardless if it is sea or port day.

13 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

When they changed the UDP from Ultimate Dining Plan to Unlimited Dining Plan a while back, the new "rule" became, "...if the restaurant is open (serving) and you can get in, it is included...".  Since then, of course, there have been many new limitations to the UDP so IMO they should revert back to Ultimate Dining vs Unlimited as it is ANYTHING but unlimited these days.  So basically, if the restaurant is eligible, and if it is open, your UDP will work there, regardless if it is sea or port day.

Thank you for the explanation 

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

thanks.  Seems like a very good strategy.😀

Remind me someday to tell you my "MTD first day strategy swimming with the other HUNDREDS of diners in line".

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 8:59 AM, George C said:

In past on older ships we did lots of 5 night packages. I would still consider booking  a UDP most ships also have Izumi besides chops and either Giovanni’s or Jamie’s . I doubt i would book anything but oasis class and really looking forward to MSc YC , also prefer celebrity since they have a better suite restaurant and lounge. 

Exactly.  We've got a 5-night on Mariner next month and that seems to make sense. No many venues but not as many days to spread it around. Had a good commission month and told DW at least this way if you're on the fence between two entrees - we'll be coming back soon enough. On the 12 nighter @TeeRick is looking at - we wouldn't consider it.    

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 9:59 AM, George C said:

In past on older ships we did lots of 5 night packages. I would still consider booking  a UDP most ships also have Izumi besides chops and either Giovanni’s or Jamie’s . I doubt i would book anything but oasis class and really looking forward to MSc YC , also prefer celebrity since they have a better suite restaurant and lounge. 

Just looked this morning.  Our INDY cruise next May is now offering a 5 night dining package at 20% off.  Now $200 pp.  Is this a good deal?  Or wait for larger discount?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just looked this morning.  Our INDY cruise next May is now offering a 5 night dining package at 20% off.  Now $200 pp.  Is this a good deal?  Or wait for larger discount?

I guess "good" is relative.  I originally purchased the 5 night plan for our 3-20-25 EX cruise at $249.99 PP (total of $589.98, including grats).  That price later dropped to $199.99 PP (total of $471.96, including grats) which is where it has been ever since.  It works out to ~$47 per meal, per person (including grats) which isn't great but I am skeptical that it will go lower. Historically, the 5 night packages rarely EVER went on "sale".  Back in the good-ol-days the 5 night plans never even had a discount associated with them...they always were "full price" only.  So I am holding onto the $199.99 price and have only a slim hope that the price will go down - but I'm not holding my breath.  It is what it is....

As a rather sad anecdote, only 1 1/2 years ago, I paid $199.99 PP for the Unlimited plan on Oasis for a 7 night cruise.  Such are prices these days.....

On 8/5/2024 at 10:17 AM, RFerrington said:

I was discussing with a friend about the first day lunch being included in the UDP and she said that it clearly states in the description on the website, "this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days".

We are wondering if they currently are saying that there is an additional charge if you go to lunch on embarkation day.

1 minute ago, artvlay said:

I was discussing with a friend about the first day lunch being included in the UDP and she said that it clearly states in the description on the website, "this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days".

We are wondering if they currently are saying that there is an additional charge if you go to lunch on embarkation day.

Unless they have changed the "rule" on embarkation day in the past 3 weeks, it will be included in the package.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I consider that good , I would book , but keep checking if it goes down you can cancel and rebook. Remember lunch is included normally on all sea days and embarkation on most cruises. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2024 at 7:59 AM, TeeRick said:

I just purchased the unlimited plan today for $230.99/pp ($272.57 with the 18% added on) for a 7-day cruise on Wonder this December. 

The best price I ever got for the unlimited was $207.99/pp ($245.43 with the 18%) for my thanksgiving cruise in 2022, so I use that as my "good deal barometer" even though I know prices are going up. 

That being said, your price for a 5-meal plan is almost the same as my unlimited plan, so I personally probably wouldn't buy it. At that point I'd wait for the price of the unlimited to come close to the price you're being quoted for the 5-day and buy the unlimited instead.

Ive been seeing the 3-night plan listed between $114.99/pp and $125.99/pp. $125.99 is the most I'd pay for that, but probably wouldn't bother at anything more than that. 

One of my booked cruises is showing the 5-day dining option at $219.99. I wouldn't buy it for that. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I just purchased the unlimited plan today for $230.99/pp ($272.57 with the 18% added on) for a 7-day cruise on Wonder this December. 

The best price I ever got for the unlimited was $207.99/pp ($245.43 with the 18%) for my thanksgiving cruise in 2022, so I use that as my "good deal barometer" even though I know prices are going up. 

That being said, your price for a 5-meal plan is almost the same as my unlimited plan, so I personally probably wouldn't buy it. At that point I'd wait for the price of the unlimited to come close to the price you're being quoted for the 5-day and buy the unlimited instead.

Ive been seeing the 3-night plan listed between $114.99/pp and $125.99/pp. $125.99 is the most I'd pay for that, but probably wouldn't bother at anything more than that. 

One of my booked cruises is showing the 5-day dining option at $219.99. I wouldn't buy it for that. 

The UDP for my 12 night cruise is still $358 pp with 35% discount.  Plus $129 gratuities.  So  $974 for the two of us.  For 2 specialty restaurants plus Izumi.  Not really a bargain.  

The 5 night is $200 pp with 20% discount.  Plus $72 gratuities.  So $544.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The UDP for my 12 night cruise is still $358 pp with 35% discount.  Plus $129 gratuities.  So  $974 for the two of us.  For 2 specialty restaurants plus Izumi.  Not really a bargain.  

The 5 night is $200 pp with 20% discount.  Plus $72 gratuities.  So $544.

I wouldn't lay that for a ship with only 3 specialty restaurants either. My 13-day cruise has the UDP at $519.99/pp which is crazy. If it dropped down to $358/pp I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm gonna be on the Allure post-amp.

On 8/4/2024 at 8:13 AM, Sea Dog said:

Curious to know with the UDP do you need to make reservations for lunch on sea days as well as your dinner reservations?

We have but it is not necessary. I've never shown up at lunch and ever seen it full. Especially so when you arrive closer to 12:00. 1:00 - 1:30 (typically when we are leaving) it seems fuller but never full. 

On 8/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, artvlay said:

The wording in the cruise planner is poor.  Essentially embarkation day is treated as a sea day.  If the restaurant is open and seating is available you can dine.  Every cruise we have had with the UDP we have gone to whatever restaurant is open after boarding with my list of desired times and restaurants in hand.  They seat us without hesitation and then take my list and book our dining times.  I have never been charged anything extra for any meal I have ever had except the $10 up charge at Hibachi (I think it is $15 now)

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 10:14 AM, artvlay said:

You mention that you go to lunch on Day 1, embarkation day. Is that included in the UDP? I thought that it was only sea days.

I have used it by reserving and paying through the Cruise Planner for Day 1 lunch, then getting it refunded when I arrive. Never had a problem when they see I have the UDP. That's when I have them make my reservations for the rest of the cruise (and tip them for doing so).

On 8/6/2024 at 7:54 AM, artvlay said:

Book in advance/pay/get a refund day 1 with the UDP.