AITA Chair Hog Edition

I'm an early riser and like to read on the lido deck or serenity while watching the sunrise. I'm taking my partner on their first cruise, and they want to sleep in a bit. Would I be a "chair hog" if I save the seat next to mine for my partner so we can enjoy coffee together on the loungers when they join me? Or should I find somewhere else for us to sit together outside? They will probably join me around 8:30-9ish am.

Saving just one seat right next to yours and you will actually be sitting there the almost the whole time? Nope, definitely NTA in my book lol. And at that time of day I imagine the only people who could possibly get irritated are the actual chair hogs looking to mark their territory for later.😁

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, nc762shooter said:

Saving just one seat right next to yours and you will actually be sitting there the almost the whole time? Nope, definitely NTA in my book lol. And at that time of day I imagine the only people who could possibly get irritated are the actual chair hogs looking to mark their territory for later.😁

Yes, to clarify, I will be sitting there the whole time:) lol thanks - just wanted to double check I wouldn't be in the wrong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Scarlet_Spider27 said:

I'm an early riser and like to read on the lido deck or serenity while watching the sunrise. I'm taking my partner on their first cruise, and they want to sleep in a bit. Would I be a "chair hog" if I save the seat next to mine for my partner so we can enjoy coffee together on the loungers when they join me? Or should I find somewhere else for us to sit together outside? They will probably join me around 8:30-9ish am.

You're good.  NTA 

• Like 1

The problem comes in when there are several seats in a row being saved with a towel or flip flops, and NO ONE of the party is there ( isnt there for several hours).  You should be just fine.

• Like 3

I'm of the opinion there should be no saving of seats, at all, ever.

If you're getting up for more than 5 minutes - takes your stuff and get in line for the next open chair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, aborgman said:

If you're getting up for more than 5 minutes - takes your stuff and get in line for the next open chair.

So if my wife gets up to go to the restroom or grab a snack or a drink, any of which will take at least 5 minutes, I should let someone else have her chair? That violates my sense of self-preservation big time LOL.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

I believe the government should balance a budget also, but it will never happen.  Absolutes are……absolute, almost by definition they are unattainable.  That said, I agree with your logic, but you and I know it will never happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlet_Spider27 said:

Why does the chair beside you need to be empty while he's still asleep?

• Like 3

I don't think I have been on a Carnival cruise where all of the chairs are full that early.

That being said, if you want a completely legitimate way to help ensure the chair besides you stays empty, find two chairs next to another person.  Point to the chair right next to them and ask, "Is this seat taken?"  If they say "no", sit one chair over with the empty seat between the two of you.  Single chairs are the last  ones that seem to be taken, so the likelihood that it will remain open until your partner gets there is high.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Scarlet_Spider27, you're 100% fine. In well over 250 days I have NEVER seen a person questioned about a single adjacent lounger for their partner. To the vast majority of cruisers on all lines that's not considered 'chair hogging'.

To those above advocating for the '5 minute rule', that's simply not policy anywhere. It's amazing to me how folks have lost 'reasonable' in their personal universe. So if you want to run over to Blue Iguana to grab a quick breakfast burrito to bring back, just leave your towel and hat/sunglasses on the two chairs. No problem. Your neighbors will know that you've just been gone a couple of minutes and 'guard' your spot.

'Chair hogging' is that line of completely unoccupied chairs held down by a single flip-flop where nobody has been there, sometimes for hours. You don't get to send an 'agent' to claim an entire row at 6a only to roll out of bed at 10a to actually sit there.  I have no qualms about moving their stuff and have on numerous occasions.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 5

NTA...I also used to do that for either my son or ex-BF...however, if all of the loungers were taken and someone asked if they could sit there before they got their lazy...er...bottoms out of bed, I would give it up in a heartbeat!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, nc762shooter said:

So if my wife gets up to go to the restroom or grab a snack or a drink, any of which will take at least 5 minutes, I should let someone else have her chair? That violates my sense of self-preservation big time LOL.  

No, if your wife gets up to go to the restroom or grab a snack or a drink, any of which will take at least 5 minutes, SHE should let someone else have her chair.

...but in the end - people are just claiming dozens of loungers for hours, there are going to be constant roving bands of people looking for a lounger, and Carnival is going to do nothing to enforce their ban on saving loungers.

Edited by aborgman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

'Chair hogging' is that line of completely unoccupied chairs held down by a single flip-flop where nobody has been there, sometimes for hours. You don't get to send an 'agent' to claim an entire row at 6a only to roll out of bed at 10a to actually sit there.  I have no qualms about moving their stuff and have on numerous occasions.

to play devils advocate here...  'chair hogging' can be a line of chairs, a couple of chairs or even one single chair that is remaining empty and being "held" by whatever means for several hours

which is exactly what the OP is talking of doing

personally, it doesn't bother me either way...  it's likely that THAT early in the morning there wouldn't be many (other than those designated "go grab our chairs!" folks) up there looking for a seat.

my thought is this - go.  Hold the seat.  But if it gets to the point that there are folks walking around with trays of food trying to find somewhere to sit and eat their food it may be time to give up the seat you're holding unless you know for a FACT that your partner is up and is actively heading your way

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

No, if your wife gets up to go to the restroom or grab a snack or a drink, any of which will take at least 5 minutes, SHE should let someone else have her chair.

Sorry bud, but this zero tolerance approach to life and hiding behind policy is not a fun way to live.  All anyone wants is reasonable access to shared resource.  And yes, what is reasonable to some is often lost on others.  These are not subway seats where individualism and short-term ubiquity is in play - any single chair without a rear on it, is not "wasted".  Certainly for a break to the restroom, pool, bar, etc.  And doubly certain when the traveling partner remains next door.

But the fact of the matter is whether you think 5 minutes is the right number, or as I think the majority feels about 40 minutes, and the self-centered narcists think is hours or days....what is anyone to do?  We are not fighting over bread or a border, give it the perspective that is deserves.  You know, reasonable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

LOL    You're joking, right?

• Like 5

Actual policy according to Carnival is 40 consecutive minutes of unattended items left on a chair. Clearly they think 40 minutes is a reasonable amount of time for you to get up to do whatever and return. 5 minutes is absurd especially if you have a partner still sitting there. If you think it's not then you must either only cruise solo or don't care to actually spend time with your travelling companion since this would make it a colossal headache to keep sitting together.

I can see it now... you stand up to stretch and scratch your butt and someone yells DIBS and dives onto your lounger since apparently if your butt is no longer touching it it's fair game LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, dna1990 said:

Sorry bud, but this zero tolerance approach to life and hiding behind policy is not a fun way to live.  All anyone wants is reasonable access to shared resource.  And yes, what is reasonable to some is often lost on others.  These are not subway seats where individualism and short-term ubiquity is in play - any single chair without a rear on it, is not "wasted".  Certainly for a break to the restroom, pool, bar, etc.  And doubly certain when the traveling partner remains next door.

But the fact of the matter is whether you think 5 minutes is the right number, or as I think the majority feels about 40 minutes, and the self-centered narcists think is hours or days....what is anyone to do?  We are not fighting over bread or a border, give it the perspective that is deserves.  You know, reasonable.

Sure it's a fun way to live... I have an opinion, but I don't get worked up or really care if anyone agrees.

What is anyone to do? The cruise lines should have a number - whether that be 5 minutes, 40 minutes, or 2 hours... and then they should enforce whatever that rule is.

22 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

LOL    You're joking, right?

Nope... I personally think the rule should "You move it, you lose it" as long as there are people waiting for loungers.

It isn't - and de facto, there is no rule and you can squat for as long as you like and Carnival will never do anything.

No problem with that in my opinion.   

If my wife were to leave for more than a few minutes and another woman come and sit in that seat which is just a couple of inches from me, then I would need to find another seat as that would be uncomfortable for me, nor would my wife be very happy with the situation.  The issue lies in taking up multiple seats during an excessive amount of time without anyone ever showing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1