Trieste Port to Venice City

pinksuit

Posted (edited)

There are direct trains between Trieste and Venice. Depending on time of the day the train type, it takes 2 to 3 hours. Immediately the option I would choose.

There is also Flixbus.

Edited by hallasm

We did the Italia Rail. It was pretty easy and very economical. I suggest spending a little extra for 1st class. Otherwise you may be standing. Just be sure to book with plenty of time to spare. We disembarked with three hours to spare. I thought we would want time in Trieste. But my husband wasn’t feeling well and we were able to get on an earlier train no problem. On the way to Trieste, we missed our train by seconds. We had to buy new tickets. 
Also be aware, the Italian train schedule is fluid. They often have strikes- so often they schedule them a few days in advance. But it can mean cancelations and late trains that get very full. So don’t plan anything that isn’t flexible. 
We missed our train to Trieste because the scheduled cab never arrived. We were in Milan. We had planned to get to the station over an hour in advance. We arrived just in time to see our train pulling out of the station. We ended up in second class on a very crowded and slow train. Fortunately we had planned to arrive in Trieste the day before our cruise. So we ended up with a funny experience to tell rather than tragedy. 
The name of the game in countries like Italy is - plan for the worst and hope for the best, stay flexible, and don’t let little bumps throw you. Part of the fun of European travel is the challenge. Sometimes the unexpected provides the best experiences. 
Hope you have a great trip. 

As noted, this thread will likely  be moved to the Italy Ports board.

In the mean time - there is Flixbus service- a reputable European company operating modern coach type buses. It would drop you in the Tronchetto bus station in Venice. Takes about 2 hr 20 min.

And there is frequent train service from Trieste Centrale to Venezia Santa Lucia station. These are Regional, not high speed Freccia  or IC trains, and the direct fast trains take about 2 hours. Other trains with more stops and changes can take well over 3. Choose wisely. 

A side comment on a previous poster. The Italian National Rail company is Trenitalia. Use it to make bookings, since that is the company you would travel on. ItaliaRail is a 3rd party ticketing company and does not operate the trains. You cannot reserve seats on any Regional train. And most, if not all, will be 2nd class only. Buy your ticket and board as soon as the train enters the station. If buying a paper ticket at the station, it is imperative that you validate it in the machine just before boarding.

19 hours ago, pinksuit said:

Hi All,

Do anyone have solid info in getting from Trieste (for Venice) to Venice city.  My eyes are tired.

Thank you, Ms Pinkie

Hello @pinksuit

Thank you for your new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Ports of Call - Italy forum where it will be on topic. This is where your fellow Cruise Critic members discuss the available transportationBrowse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

9 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @pinksuit

Thank you for your new thread, however it was off topic where posted. To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Ports of Call - Italy forum where it will be on topic. This is where your fellow Cruise Critic members discuss the available transportationBrowse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Thank You!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Szt said:

We did the Italia Rail. It was pretty easy and very economical. I suggest spending a little extra for 1st class. Otherwise you may be standing. 

Also be aware, the Italian train schedule is fluid. They often have strikes- so often they schedule them a few days in advance.

Italia Rail is a reseller, not a train company.  Always book directly with the train operator to have the greatest protection.

Trenitalia has most of the train runs on this route, Italotreno only has one per day at 8:02.

EN - Trenitalia

Italo, italian high-speed train | Book no service fee | italotreno.com

As for the first class comment, most of the trains on this route are regionals and they only have one class, 2nd, and there are no seat assignments.

For the Frecce and IC trains on this route you get a seat assignment regardless of class, so there's no need to pay extra for 1st, you'll get an assigned seat in 2nd if that's what you want.

Finally, regarding the comment on strikes, "They often have strikes- so often they schedule them a few days in advance", is pure nonsense.  First of all, how do you define "often"?  Strikes are always, with exceedingly rare exceptions, called weeks or even months in advance and are published on a government website for all to see.  On any given train line there may be three or four strikes in a 365 day period, I would not call that often.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2024 at 12:50 AM, hallasm said:

There are direct trains between Trieste and Venice. Depending on time of the day the train type, it takes 2 to 3 hours. Immediately the option I would choose.

There is also Flixbus.

Thank you for responding.  Did you board at the Airport or another location?  Thx

12 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Do you need a train from the airport or from downtown Trieste?  Also, where in Venice are you going?

We are ending our cruise in Trieste ....needing to go near St Mark Square ...Saint Elena

57 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:
58 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

57 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Just now, pinksuit said:

We are ending our cruise in Trieste ....needing to go near St Mark Square ...Saint Elena.  

Also, we were considering picking up the train near the Cruise Terminal or taking the Cruiseline Transfer to Trieste Airport and boarding from there.

What do you think is the better option?  

Okay, so you need a train from Trieste Centrale to Venezia S. Lucia.  In front of the train station in Venice you can get the vaporetto to San Marco.

Trieste Centrale is 1.1 km/three-quarters of a mile on foot from the cruise terminal.

Trieste passenger terminal website:  Cruise Terminal - Trieste Terminal Passeggeri

Italotreno is not very useful for this itinerary because (1) they only offer one train per day, at 8:05 and (2) they only go to Venezia Mestre station, so you'd need to get a second train to Venezia S. Lucia from there.

Trenitalia offers service throughout the day:  EN - Trenitalia

Most of the trains are regionals, which means the price doesn't change and they cannot sell out.  You do not get an assigned seat.

There are a few Frecce and IC trains each day which cost a bit more, but offer assigned seating.  These trains only go to Venice Mestre, so you'd need to change trains there to get to Venice S. Lucia.

Thank you for the tips.  I am trying to keep real simple. I wanted to do something a lil more direct, even if I need to pay a lil more.  Was hoping the train would be quicker and a better option.  Are there other trains that have different time schedules that would get me closer to where I need to be and from there, pick up a water taxi?

What do you think of the Bus option?

Regards

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pinksuit said:

Thank you for the tips.  I am trying to keep real simple. I wanted to do something a lil more direct, even if I need to pay a lil more.  Was hoping the train would be quicker and a better option.  Are there other trains that have different time schedules that would get me closer to where I need to be and from there, pick up a water taxi?

What do you think of the Bus option?

Regards

The info eurocruiser provided is about as direct as it gets. 

"Okay, so you need a train from Trieste Centrale to Venezia S. Lucia.  In front of the train station in Venice you can get the vaporetto to San Marco."

If you choose a Regional train with TrenItalia it will take you to the Venice S Lucia station, which is located on the GrandCanal; walk out the door and hop into a vaporetto or water taxi.  Pretty simple.

BUT, if you want a reserved seat on an IC or Frecce train, it will stop in Mestre so you would need to change trains for the last 10 minutes to Venice.  Mestre is on the mainland directly across from Venice.  So if you don't want to change trains, choose a Regional from Trieste to Venice SLucia.

FlixBus offers service from Trieste to the Venice Airport or to Venice Tronchetto.  Tronchetto is a big parking lot at the edge of Venice.  You could arrange for a water taxi to pick you up at the Tronchetto dock.  

(a water taxi will cost about 75E for the 10 minute ride from either Tronchetto or SLucia.)

p.s.  cruiseline transfer would be the most direct in that you are picked up at the Trieste pier. But you will be dropped off at Tronchetto or the airport,

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

Thank you....helpful info.  In all of my planning, it just didn't occur to me that we were not docking in Venice.....until I re-read...re-read...and re-read comments and was outlining my overall Itinerary.😗 

We took a cab from the pier to the main train station in Trieste. It was about €4-€5 for 4 of us. Not even a 5 min ride. My husband was very sick at the end of the cruise so we were willing to pay for convenience. We paid to go to Venice FC. It still wasn’t very expensive- about $20/ pp. the train ride was about 2 hrs and very comfortable. We went to the main station in Venice across the lagoon, but could have gone on to S Lucia. To get to Venice proper you have to get a boat no matter what. The ride is short so we didn’t think it was worth the cost of a taxi. We found Italians fairly helpful- though in any big city less than in the small towns. But you can just ask someone who looks like they know what they are doing if it is confusing. 
I believe you can arrange for a private driver to take you from pt A to pt b- though they still cannot take you on the islands. It’s pricey. But here’s a tip most people don’t think about- make friends on the cruise. You are bound to find someone who is also going to Venice. You can split the cost of cabs and drivers or at least help each other. If you don’t meet anyone- ask the cruise director to see if they can help you find someone going the same way. Even easier- go in your roll call and see if there is anyone who would want to split costs with you. That’s what Cruise Critic is for.