Our Visit To Princess Cays Is 80 Days Away...

So_Tweetie

I was in the cruise planner last night booking some excursions for our upcoming cruise, and when I got to the options for Princess Cays I found they are "Sold Out" of all reserved seating! No clamshells, umbrellas, cabanas OR Sanctuary cabanas are available. "Not even for ready money!" as they say.

Is this normal 80 days before arrival? Does anyone have experience being unable to book seating ahead of time but then finding availability either onboard or once they arrive on the island? Alternatively - Has anyone been able to find free shaded seating? Princess Cays is one of my favorite ports, but I can't handle direct sunlight for extended periods of time. 

🏖️

There is shade there, under the palms. But those lounges go very quickly. It seems you are on the Sun Princess. Lots of passengers, 4,000+. I have experience with 2,600 and 3,100 passenger ships and with those Princess Cays is crowded.

You would have to be one of the first to arrive. If you are elite loyalty or in a full suite you have tender priority. If not, you just have to follow the directions provided.

I really don't know how the Sun does or will handle tenders at Princess Cays. 

You probably should keep checking. If unsuccessful pre-cruise try at the excursion desk as soon as they open.

I'll mention what I have done. I remain on board. The ship isn't crowded and it is very enjoyable without the crowds. The food venues that are normally open during the day remain open as do the bars.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

There is shade there, under the palms. But those lounges go very quickly.

... and you may have better luck with those the farther from the tender area you go. We bring Off wipes too for our ankles because there can be no-see-ums under the trees but the shade is worth it.

• Like 1

If they are limiting clamshell rentals...  (which many say are cumbersome and hot, even with something to prop the back up off the sand a bit). This is a good thing.

I have seen photos of Princess Cayes where a big percentage of the beach/shore is just lined with these things.  Affecting views and access.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

It seems you are on the Sun Princess. Lots of passengers, 4,000+. I have experience with 2,600 and 3,100 passenger ships and with those Princess Cays is crowded.

You would have to be one of the first to arrive. If you are elite loyalty or in a full suite you have tender priority.

Yes - this is the Sun Princess and it will be the ship's first time at Princess Cays, so I guess we will be learning along with the crew how the process goes with that number of passengers. Thankfully I am Elite so we will try for a lounger first thing, take a few pictures of the ship from the beach, and head back to enjoy a day onboard if we don't have any luck. Thanks for the suggestion! 

Since your Elite you can get on an early tender and be among the first to arrive so you won't have any trouble finding a lounge chair. 

If you select a lounge chair under one of the trees, or beach pavilion, be sure to move it to the furthest position in the shade when you first arrive (with the sun over your left shoulder facing the ship). The sun moves quickly & you'll wind up getting more sun than you want.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

Thankfully I am Elite so we will try for a lounger first thing, take a few pictures of the ship from the beach, and head back to enjoy a day onboard if we don't have any luck.

we are not Elite, we are never on the first tender, and we've always been able to find a spot in the shade. We have a red head kiddo and I am heat intolerant....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we are not Elite, we are never on the first tender, and we've always been able to find a spot in the shade. We have a red head kiddo and I am heat intolerant....

be sure you have some kind of water shoes - very rocky, in and out of the water

and keep an eye out for bees, etc swarming around the bar areas.  Our visit was very short stayed one time (not really a problem) because I am allergic to bee stings and left my epi pen in our 'other' backpack on the ship.  Finally, it does take some time for the bars to get set-up and providing beverages on the island - which are covered up to package limits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Yes, we always do! Ever since my then 4 yo sliced his foot open on that beach on day 1 of the cruise....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

I think Princess Cays has the worst beach for rocks in the water anywhere in the Caribbean. Maybe there is a worse one but I haven't found it yet.   

4 minutes ago, 555 said:

I think Princess Cays has the worst beach for rocks in the water anywhere in the Caribbean. Maybe there is a worse one but I haven't found it yet.   

Ocean Cay (MSC) is worse. By far. It was simply impossible to step anywhere on that beach without water shoes with thick soles.

image.thumb.jpeg.729208bbefc34340fbd7935ebef0e88e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3957797cf945f7739774b837832a17.jpeg

It does have a lagoon with a better beach and a couple of other better beaches, but we ended up on that one...

Just now, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Ocean Cay (MSC) is worse. By far. It was simply impossible to step anywhere on that beach without water shoes with thick soles.

image.thumb.jpeg.729208bbefc34340fbd7935ebef0e88e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b3957797cf945f7739774b837832a17.jpeg

It does have a lagoon with a better beach and a couple of other better beaches, but we ended up on that one...

Thanks. We don't travel on MSC but it nice to know that Princess isn't the worst of the lot. 

2 minutes ago, 555 said:

We don't travel on MSC

well, we gave them a try for the first time last year. It wasn't the best. Not horrible, but not the best. Of course, we weren't in their premium Yacht class.

• Thanks 1

This is the beach in front of bungalow 8. The picture is from June, the ship was full and there were still loungers under the trees in that area when we left after 4 hours. We had bungalow 8 and it was a perfect area and not as rocky. 

IMG_2728.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tulok said:

This is the beach in front of bungalow 8. The picture is from June, the ship was full and there were still loungers under the trees in that area when we left after 4 hours. We had bungalow 8 and it was a perfect area and not as rocky. 

IMG_2728.jpeg

Gorgeous! I think we will aim for that! 

4 hours ago, 555 said:

Common error, but Princess Cays in not in the Caribbean.

Caribbean map

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

do you get to pick when booked?  or assigned 

Because of CC, when we got on board we went to the excursion desk and requested #8. They are supposed to be assigned in order of when you arrive on the beach but they had us down for #8 so it worked to request it. 7-10  to me were the best locations.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

SoTweety,  That is a very very small entry area on the rocky shore right there.

You can try to check it out!  Could have quite a few people there.

There are loungers and some trees down that way.

There are PLENTY of loungers, everywhere,  The shades ones can go the fastest...  But, even if you don't have priority tender,  be there early and waiting to be on the earliest tender that you can, and there should still be availability.

The area will get busy, especially with the Sun Princess.

The lines for lunch will queue up pretty quickly...  So, even if you don't think you are quite ready for lunch, you might want to plan for that early.

The food isn't bad!

Buffet and Bars will close early!!!!  (they have to get all supplies and staff back onboard)

You mention Cabana's, and of course, those are Bungalows... which seem to be all booked up.

These can be assigned as they get booked up.  So, pure luck.

There are some rocky areas... some are sandy,

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1