Short port day in Halifax...suggestions please

Derbie

DH and I are sailing in October.  Our ship is in port 7:00 - 3:00 pm.  We are very open to suggestions in regarding what to do in the limited time.  Should we get out and walk and explore?  Take a ship excursion? I have been researching online and here, as we only recently booked the cruise.  We are a bit late to getting our ports sorted out.  This is a two-week cruise, so I hope I don't wear everyone out with questions.

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, Derbie said:

DH and I are sailing in October.  Our ship is in port 7:00 - 3:00 pm.  We are very open to suggestions in regarding what to do in the limited time.  Should we get out and walk and explore?  Take a ship excursion? I have been researching online and here, as we only recently booked the cruise.  We are a bit late to getting our ports sorted out.  This is a two-week cruise, so I hope I don't wear everyone out with questions.

Thanks,

No recommendations yet, but we have a port stop in Halifax early next month (September).  So far, we have no planned excursions but a long list of things to see, places to eat, etc. 

After the cruise, I’ll can check back here and answer any questions/report back -if you’d like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On can walk the boardwalk, or take a ships excursion to Peggy’s Cove and maybe Lunnenberg (I don’t know what your ship specifically offers).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Walk the boardwalk. Lots of kiosks, boats, great views along the way. Maritime Museum at the far end.  Immigration Museum near the port. If you are comfortable walking up steep hills, there is a very old cemetery, The Citadel, botanic gardens.

We have never done an excursion out of town, and never wished we had. Much to see on foot.

• Like 1

We really enjoyed both the boardwalk and the Citadel, although it is a really steep walk - like, even for the reasonable fit among us. The brewery across from the port is also very nice.

We've also done a short excursion to Peggy's Cove. It was fun and picturesque. But I would probably pick the boardwalk/city option over it.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 6:00 AM, shipgeeks said:

Walk the boardwalk. Lots of kiosks, boats, great views along the way. Maritime Museum at the far end.  Immigration Museum near the port. If you are comfortable walking up steep hills, there is a very old cemetery, The Citadel, botanic gardens.

We have never done an excursion out of town, and never wished we had. Much to see on foot.

We are both pretty good walkers.  I will review this suggestion.  Many thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 6:00 AM, shipgeeks said:

Sounds great!  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 11:07 AM, Derbie said:

We are both pretty good walkers.  I will review this suggestion.  Many thanks!

My husband and I walked to the Citadel when we were in Halifax last year. It's steep, but not terrible. If you are a walker, you should be fine. Make sure you are there for when they shoot off the canon at noon. It's really interesting. 

• Like 1

Time in port is huge. Take a cab up to the Citadel see the sights, noon the canon earlier gaurds & musket demonstrations. I think they replaced WW1 trench exhibit with a new one for the D Day landings in WW2.

When done you can walk down the hill to the boardwalk and enjoy it. Lots of shops, brew pubs, and  restaurants. There's Canada's last WW2 Corvette docked there, the HMCS Sackville, jt's available as a museum.

Enjoy

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, ellenw said:

My husband and I walked to the Citadel when we were in Halifax last year. It's steep, but not terrible. If you are a walker, you should be fine. Make sure you are there for when they shoot off the canon at noon. It's really interesting. 

Many thanks!

On 8/8/2024 at 5:06 PM, ellenw said:

I appreciate the information.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I appreciate the information.  Thanks.

In early October, sunrise in Halifax is not until after 0700.  I'd say, given the amount of time you have available, that a walk along the harbour front, a peek at the Legislature on the way up to the Citadel would be a great way to spend the day without having to try and cram excursions into a pretty tight schedule.

16 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

In early October, sunrise in Halifax is not until after 0700.  I'd say, given the amount of time you have available, that a walk along the harbour front, a peek at the Legislature on the way up to the Citadel would be a great way to spend the day without having to try and cram excursions into a pretty tight schedule.

I agree!  Otherwise, we will be running; rather than, walking! :0)  I kindly thank you for the info.  If you think of anything more, I would be appreciative of it.

4 hours ago, Derbie said:

I agree!  Otherwise, we will be running; rather than, walking! :0)  I kindly thank you for the info.  If you think of anything more, I would be appreciative of it.

OK, another interesting and free thing to do if you have your walking shoes on is the Halifax Public Gardens.  Lots of potential for fall colours in October.

https://www.halifax.ca/parks-recreation/parks-trails-gardens/gardens/halifax-public-gardens

We are renting a car and driving out to Peggy's Cove.  Cost of rental is the same as booking a tour for 2.  Then we can drive over to the cemetery where the passengers of the Titanic are buried.  Takes about 45 plus minutes to drive to the Cove.  We are lucky, only ship in town.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:17 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

We are renting a car and driving out to Peggy's Cove.  Cost of rental is the same as booking a tour for 2.  Then we can drive over to the cemetery where the passengers of the Titanic are buried.  Takes about 45 plus minutes to drive to the Cove.  We are lucky, only ship in town.

We may consider this, since we have nearly two full days in port.  Thanks so very much.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, plainlady said:

We're Bill and Alice from Dallas and always enjoy the holiday cruises since we don't have family nearby. We've learned that taxis are often easy to use for tours and there are lots of opportunities once you step off the ship.  

I love to play MahJongg on port days and my husband and I will bring 5 Crowns if anyone wants to join us in an easy-to-learn game.  

We're also doing the Enchanted Jan 9 cruise.  We love ship life!

On 8/1/2024 at 3:30 PM, SaltyPawz said:

No recommendations yet, but we have a port stop in Halifax early next month (September).  So far, we have no planned excursions but a long list of things to see, places to eat, etc. 

After the cruise, I’ll can check back here and answer any questions/report back -if you’d like. 

I would say the same as mets 133, the boardwalk are lovely. Hope the shops will be open for you, the Alexander Keith's tour is really good. The maritime museum here has many Titanic artifacts here, and many Titanic passengers are buried at the cemetery here. That would require a bus or taxi ride. The weather might be blustery, so make sure you have warm clothing.

• Like 1