The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 3rd, 2024

Greetings and Hello!!  Thank you for the Dailys!!

I doubt I'll ever thank hair gloss...  or honor it...  but, to each their own!!

I ate the last of my watermelon on Thursday...  but I know I'll get more before summer's over!!

And GO COASTIES!!!  Love the Coast Guard and all they do!!!

TRUTH...  I only wish people would speak and do the truth all the time.  It can be done with tact and confidence -- but being honest is WONDERFUL!!!

I'll be happy "to have me some Ribs!"

The 57 Chevy sounds tasty!  As does the Merlot.

And wouldn't it be nice to be in Norway with the cooler surroundings!!!  We'll be triple digits today!!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites 

74 going up to too "dam" hot of 100 today.

Oh Annie, I don't know what to do for you except pray to our highest power. Caregivers deserve so much credit. My DH has been wheelchair bound for 4 years, and some days it is heart breaking to watch a once robust guy still adjusting to this way of life. Love gets us through. 

My sister's update: Surgery is scheduled for Sept 9th, due to the plastic surgeon being out on vacation a week. She's on the urgent list. After the double mastectomy she will need care for the 1st 2 weeks. I suggested she go to a rehab facility and she was glad to hear that she can do it. We leave on August 31st for Seattle and embark on Sept 1st. I wish I could be there for her. She has her daughters and many friends but still... 

Prayers are being said for our growing Cares List. Tana, Allen, and Chuck: keep eating! Annie I hope your sore hip improves. Jacqui you are getting so close! I wonder what Ivan is thinking! I would love to see a few pictures of your house before it sells. Sandi prayers for your twin and DB.

@MISTER 67 Wishing you Bon Voyage. I hope you miss the stormy weather.

Hmmm Graham, you and Pauline sure are having a "few" lunches and dinners out of late... the steak looks delicious. 

Today is Farmer's market and lunch. It needs to be early as it will be way hot later.

Wishing everyone a lovely,  safe, healthy weekend. Blessings!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

We visited today's port in August 2023 during our Intensive Norway cruise on the Azamara Journey.

Sail in, the port and sail away.

Large cruise ships are not going to get under this bridge.

IMG_2346.JPEG

IMG_2349.JPEG

IMG_2350.JPEG

IMG_2355.JPEG

IMG_2356.JPEG

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

We took a ships excursion to see The Adolf Gun

This gun was built by the Germans in WW2 in Harstad, Norway, but never fired in anger. The gun was operated by the Norwegian armed forces in the 1950s, the largest gun ever used by the Norwegian armed forces.

The two remaining "Adolf-shells" in the Adolf Gun bunker in Harstad, Norway. These shells were much lighter (600 kg) than the normal shells (1030 kg) used by the four 400 mm Adolf guns to allow a longer range of 56 km (versus 42 km). The maximum ceiling in the ballistic trajectory was 21,000 meter (70,000 ft) or twice as high as a passenger jet flies. 

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  I fell asleep on the sofa quite easily and slept through the night, no wake ups, but at 6:30 something behind me kept saying "low battery" I thought it was on the sofa with me, it was on the desk, so it wasn't an observation, it was the phone., I do feel like I'm low on battery. And I am contemplating taking another day off.  

I have no idea about hair gloss, just hair loss, and the only thing I do to spruce up my hair is add tinsel once in a while. But for the last year, the only thing I do, is brush.

The hip still hurts, and I guess i should just relax today, with a trip to the pet store, the bird seed store, and watch tv.  and nap...I really want a nap.

I also have to be the pharmacist, (which by the way will put me over the edge)and that also means making sure the patient eats something when he takes his meds. The toaster died, so we are having watermelon. I see a Walmart trip in my future.

Where is @RedneckBob?  He last posted saying he was in TX. 

I meant to say last night, that while I do collect gnomes and cats, I have a small collection of pink stegosauruses.  I love dinosaurs.  The steggie is my favorite.

not my cat-

726637.jpg

Rome

image.thumb.jpeg.d09bc7d196d7acf6f8c6f4dbf71c35c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.182a2d055f7ad8a4af4908ab2fc951b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1c0313bb6acbec2e93880481b02ccc75.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

Sail in, the port and sail away.

Large cruise ships are not going to get under this bridge.

I looked at cruisetimetables and see Balmoral (isn't that one of the R ships) will go there, so I expect Zaandam and Volendam could do it.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I looked at cruisetimetables and see Balmoral (isn't that one of the R ships) will go there, so I expect Zaandam and Volendam could do it.

Roy

Yes, Azamara's current fleet is the R class Ships.  I should have clarified.  When I mentioned large ships I was referring to the +3000 passenger ships that cruise the coast of Norway.

• Like 19

I used to work across the road from the Coast Guard Academy. Mark Twain is buried where I live now.

No on the meal suggestion (pork) and on the cocktail (mess). For a Merlot, the 2021 Block 137 from Lamoreaux Landing, $24.99. "Warm aromas of cinnamon, cedar and exotic spices hint at plush notes of ripe plum and cherry that permeate the palate, enveloped by supple tannins and earthy freshness with a generous finish. Try with grilled meats, rosemary roasted chicken, a sun-dried tomato risotto, full-flavored cheeses, or dark chocolate."

Screenshot2024-08-03at08-44-46GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforJuly282024-GoComics.thumb.png.2728678dd4f8930d7eee110c2403b470.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

@bdrcole thank you for your fascinating photos of Harstad, Norway.  I'm sure it would be a worthwhile stop on any Norway cruise.  I was wondering if Volendam and Zaandam would fit under the bridge so was glad to see Roy's @rafinmd comment.  There's still hope HAL could go back to some of the smaller Norway ports.

Bon Voyage @ski ww, and @MISTER 67!!

Be careful today Annie @marshhawk!  That sounds like a lot of running around today, however I'm aware you have to make those stops, just go slowly!  I'm glad you're in charge of the medications now.  It's an important job and you are the person for the job.  I hope you get that nap!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a very cloudy and windy central Texas.  The weather has changed today's plans for mowing and trimming the grass which has really grown this past week.  We are supposed to be getting rain until about 11 am, so the mowing will be done tomorrow.  It is 78F and feels like 78F.  It was actually pleasant when I went outside a little while ago even with 87% humidity and a dew point of 74F.  Our predicted high is 98F, and I bet it will feel muggy after the rain.  Even living along the Gulf coast and the Atlantic coast, I've never heard the humidity called obnoxious like Terry @smitty34877 said, but that's a good way to describe it at times and at other times just plain nasty.

No hair gloss here since I'm lucky that my hair is shinny and glossy naturally.  It's been about a month since we had watermelon because we're still working on the last of the two large cantaloupes I bout a couple of weeks ago.  The Coast Guard deserves a day and our gratitude.

Two good quotes from Mark Twain, and they are still true.

Since we have a smoker, I'll stick to my baby back ribs smoked with a dry rub.  We'll pass on the drink, but the merlot would be nice, and the price is really nice.

We have not been to Harstad Norway.

Today marks the beginning of a well known voyage of discovery when Columbus left Spain with his three ships.  A salute to the first theme park in 1946.

@MISTER 67  Safe travels to Port Canaveral today, and have a wonderful time on the MSC Seashore beginning tomorrow.

@kazu  Jacqui, you and your helpers have made a lot of progress this week.  Just make sure you take time for you and for Ivan.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad your sister has her surgery date, but I know I join both of you wishing it was sooner.  A rehab facility sounds good for the help she needs.  BTW, please come retrieve your crickets.  I've seen two or three of them in the house the last few days.  😉

@bdrcole  Thank you for the pictures from Harstad.  BTW, the R class ships referred to earlier by Roy @rafinmd are four HAL ships, two of which are still in the fleet and two are now part of Fred Olsen fleet.  Azamara has the old Renaissance ships which were R1 through R6 I think.  That makes things confusing.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep and I hope Chuck @catmando did too.  Please have you hip checked out if it's not significantly better soon.  Good luck being pharmacist.

While I was typing this, it started raining.  I may even be able to turn the sprinkler off for a few days.

453014318_796300506041957_9077799584488508665_n.jpg.0ea6cdebb013d20b9601eb0cfcf41774.jpg

453222690_366244966512860_5074326014689461593_n.jpg.fc8b39c801623b1904c3c6ad549dd3cb.jpg

453391239_416534571421150_1639091549188585762_n.jpg.f57a9d2d088d39b7a83b00452e3f9670.jpg

453414879_122130545894302343_8951461579663625086_n.jpg.4c61e6509ed1e27ce87f3eb468cb4bd1.jpg

453537794_4008834069393483_1669635833835432022_n.jpg.523e643d2cb0c16b6ac84df66e3cba63.jpg

453219323_10160038782542724_175734966046566180_n.jpg.8e588fb318c1ef08d92b1d70989b887a.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 16

Greetings from the Motor City.  We’re here to attend my niece Anastasia’s wedding today.  She also happens to be my goddaughter.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I’ll gladly celebrate watermelon and the coast guard.

Yesterday we toured the renovated Michigan Central Station that had for decades stood for the blight that Detroit was experiencing.  Well not so anymore, the renovation is fantastic and well worth a visit.

I love the quotes.

The meal sounds delicious and while the drink is a nod to Detroit I’ll pass as I think it would be a little sweet.

Prayers for those who are in need of them today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events and to Ana and Hans on their wedding day!

• Like 28

From the Hurtigruten website…. Harstad was a stop on our Coastal cruise:

Harstad is situated on Hinnøya, the largest island in Norway. It is the third largest city in Northern Norway, and an important center of commerce for the entire region. The paved market square in the city center is only a short walk from shops and cafes. Harstad is known for its high-quality restaurants and cultural events throughout the year. Several annual festivals take place, such as Ilios. During the annual North Norwegian Festival of Culture in late June, streets will be teeming with people and music pouring out of pubs, churches and concert halls.

Harstad has a sheltered location and a good harbor. Forests, mountains, fjords, islands and miles of trails offer unforgettable outdoor experiences all year round. Terraced buildings lead up from the harbor, against a backdrop of forests and mountains. While the sea on one side has brought activity to the town, the relatively fertile farming communities to the west and north have provided a good basis for the dairy and meat processing industries.

Just outside town lies Trondenes Church, the world's northernmost medieval church, dating back to the 13th century.

A history of Harstad

In recent years, a 3,000-year-old bronze axe and a 2,600-year-old bronze collar have been found at the Trondenes peninsula, just north of the city center. These, together with the burial cairns built close to the sea, are indications of a well-developed Bronze Age culture in the Harstad area. 

There is also substantial archeological evidence of a well-developed Iron Age culture in the area, around 200 AD. Trondenes was as a power center in the Viking age, and a place to meet and discuss important issues (Trondarting). The city’s name most likely originates from the Old Norse word Harðarstaðir. The first element is the male name Hörðr, and the last element is staðir, meaning homestead or farm. Harstad flourished during the ‘herring years’ at the end of the 1800s and acquired town status in 1904

• Like 11
  • Thanks 19

42 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

We took a ships excursion to see The Adolf Gun

This gun was built by the Germans in WW2 in Harstad, Norway, but never fired in anger. The gun was operated by the Norwegian armed forces in the 1950s, the largest gun ever used by the Norwegian armed forces.

The two remaining "Adolf-shells" in the Adolf Gun bunker in Harstad, Norway. These shells were much lighter (600 kg) than the normal shells (1030 kg) used by the four 400 mm Adolf guns to allow a longer range of 56 km (versus 42 km). The maximum ceiling in the ballistic trajectory was 21,000 meter (70,000 ft) or twice as high as a passenger jet flies. 

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Amazing photos, reminds me of The Guns of Navarone.

• Like 20

Cooler today than it has been but still very thick outside with Air Quality alerts. 

Yesterday I managed to get myself to a mindfulness meditation, followed by pool exercises for my gritchy hip… good self care. Also working on some new (or revisiting old) healthier eating. I gained 5 lbs in the first 5 months here in our new community…. it’s stopped

going up the last few months and starting to come down but there is much more progress to be made beyond those 5! 

Too much on my Want To Do list - Olympics, read my new book, review financials with DH, call my sister in FL to check on storm report, time in fitness center, reach out to new neighbor to invite her to dinner, enjoy Saturday afternoon music social, early dinner followed by Saturday night movie…. And “celebrate” no eye drops for DH!!! He’s been busy hanging pictures, make our new place our home!  Life is good🌈. You all have helped SO much!  

Blessings to Annie and Chuck for a good day!  And to all in need here, and the brothers, sisters, niece’s wedding, Ren, the caregivers and their loved ones… rest for those recovering, strength for Jacqui and those moving or settling in, all dealing with weather, flights and unknowns. One day at a time is Everything!
Stay safe and well!  Maureen 

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've never used hair gloss, will always say yes to watermelon, and salute the Coast Guard for the services they provide.  Today's quotes are great.

It's a cooler morning for us out there today with a temp of only 13(55), so I don't think we're really going to get to the predicted high of 30(86).  With the clouds hanging around, I'm pretty sure we'll get some showers at some point - at this time of year it helps the lawns, but not the crops.  I'm hearing a lot of screeching outside coming from the peregrine falcons terrorizing the songbirds in our area.  They are brutal and have the most annoying screams as they fly around looking for prey.  The poor little songbirds are all hiding quietly in the spruce trees, just waiting them out.

@marshhawkglad Chuck's home, but the hospital sounds like they dropped the ball on feeding him.  That's not right, sending him home without having eaten anything.  I'm sorry to hear you're in the Rice Krispie phase of life, with things snap, crackling and popping.  Hopefully this snap in your hip will not be limiting for you, as you have so much on your plate right now.  If the pain continues, please have it looked at.

@kazuI love your story about the trees - how nice they've finally grown together so you could see it happen before you leave.  That's maybe their way of saying goodbye to you and thanking you for their care.

@dfishhave you considered getting a cat?  That would take care of your mouse problems!

@ski wwBon Voyage!

Have to do a bit of housework today as we're having our friends Wayne & Fran over for dinner tonight.  We haven't seen them in a couple of weeks and thought it was time for us to catch up, so we'll have a barbecue with pork chops, chicken breasts, garlic baby potatoes, parmesan asparagus and watermelon for dessert.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and in wars not of their making.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31

Posted (edited)

@dfishI agree with @ger_77 about getting a cat, that way they probably wont come in,  but you and Sue travel too much for one, I would suggest two.😸 DH says check all the incoming water sources, if you have water coming in to a fridge to make ice cubes, under the kitchen sink, or the connection to a dishwasher. Good luck with that.  When I was growing up I got the nickname of Mouse-so while I have cats, I usually cheer for the mouse.

I do crock pot ribs, put sliced onions in with half a bottle of BBQ sauce, and then when they are done, put them under the broiler to get the sauce, and I add extra sauce at that time , to firm up.  I love ribs.  I was even one of those strange  people that would eat Micky D's rib sandwiches...I think I have a BBQ sauce addiction.  The meat part was disgusting.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, it's going to be another warm, humid day.  Next week the forecast is better.  Haven't been to the port, the drink sounds interesting, not a fan of ribs.  I'll take some watermelon, might have to go to the farmers market for some.  Got fresh corn yesterday, it was great!  

@marshhawkgood to hear DH is home, remember to take care of yourself also.  

@kazusounds like you're doing well with your home selling work...remember to take some breaks.  I look at all of our stuff, it's overwhelming!

Prayers for all who need them, cheers to all cruising and celebrating!

Bon voyage to @ski ww

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

ScreenShot2024-08-03at06_56_18.png.d6210df1a6d57cde4879d1395391d735.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I don't do my hair (never learned) and it is super short so..... no hair gloss for me.  I will take some watermelon and, as my brother was in the Coast Guard, I will raise a glass to them.  Love the quotes.  I usually do Baby Back Ribs in the Instant Pot but I could try a slow cooker but it accompanied by the wine and not the drink.  Never been to Norway.  Two great days in history.

We are under an air quality alert as the ozone will be high today.  Combined with the heat and humidity it will be a yucky day.  Temps up to mid 100s and presently it is 80F with 58% humidity.  I hear close thunder last evening but no rain for me.  NW Tucson got a deluge!  But I live here for scenes like this (I stole this picture):

IMG_8172.thumb.jpg.37862a6f6e24f1f1709044f9178121ce.jpg

When I finished subbing yesterday, I was surprised my legs and back were not exhausted/sore/achy.  Knees were another matter but I think the surgery accomplished the goal for having it - that I would be able to walk further.  🤞  Today I am off to the gym but not to work out - just to visit.  Not sure when I will return but I will have one of my friends take a pic of the incision and then I will assess what it looks like.  I want to "practice" stretching, moving, bending, lifting and make sure it doesn't open up again!  Then I will resume my workouts. 

IMG_8169.thumb.JPG.54ca1a06d6de7307bdfca9ea03197387.JPG

Got to clean house today as I am driving to San Diego very early Monday morning for an Alzheimers study.  Just a blood draw and doing cognitive tests.  They called me and the renumeration is well worth it, so why not?

IMG_8170.thumb.JPG.e62e6f04fce7da673b7f0fd7108fe128.JPG

@marshhawk I am glad Chuck is home and you will be monitoring his meds.  Take it easy and baby that hip!

Anyone in the path of Debbie - stay safe and dry!

@ski ww Bon Voyage!!

IMG_8171.thumb.JPG.4b0a7d6ba64a11f21808c83f5fb1c5d3.JPG

Thoughts for all on the care list and anyone else needing support.  Cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day!!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12