The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 6th, 2024

Good morning from a sunny central Texas where it is 74F with practically no wind, 1mph.  The humidity is not too bad at 82% with a dew point of 68F.  The predicted high is 100F, so I plan to head to W-M and our local grocery storeas soon as possible, then stay inside and keep cool the rest of the day.

Fresh breath is always good.  A small group from my ninth grade science class toured our local hospital including the autopsy room where there was a sign "Halitosis is better than no breath".  I like root beer floats better than coke floats.  Blue Bell ice cream introduced a root beer ice cream flavor with A&W root beer.  It is very good, and much better than their Dr. Pepper float flavor.  We've visited and toured many lighthouses in our travels.

I like the Dalai Lama's quote.

The meal sounds good, and we've baked whole trout in foil on the grill which was very good.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Farsund either.  I noticed on the map, it is not far from Kristiansand, Norway.

Four interesting days in history, but two are not such good days.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you can get all your errands accomplished and get that second shingles vaccine.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I hope all goes well at Pat's urologist appointment today.

@aliaschief  Welcome home, Bruce.  Glad you made it without any problems.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad the leg pain has disappeared.  Safe travels to Bay City and back today.

@kazu  Jacqui, it is understandable you are feeling unsettled about the move and leaving your home and gardens.  Just remember we're here when you need us.

@smitty34877  Terry, thanks for more information about the aide's feelings.  I glad you are feeling better about her today.

@RedneckBob  Welcome back, RNB.  You will always be Redneck Bob to me.

447022923_339489082498188_4718040200295413951_n.jpg.da146b463553a432bc103b2b91c1a3bb.jpg

453408927_454480214085549_7112884515274083761_n.jpg.10f39d5c1ba38aa03bb92e7fb5c72ce1.jpg

453416249_1023121009819424_2514070749795647492_n.jpg.ab312bdae99f92d938122aa8854effd7.jpg

453747113_451588574527570_2707871810056537401_n.jpg.52e99a189bb19a941aa0b19545e6f209.jpg

453996952_122159773700047017_5952577033408776884_n.jpg.4aa5cd927fea96ffa1099346394464ef.jpg

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 14

The proper name for a root-beer float is Boston Cooler.

I make fish en papillote from time to time, but I'm not sure about root vegetables in some of the recipes: I question whether they would cook in time. The only thing in favor of the drink, even back then, was a catchy name. Although I lived in Vienna a long time ago, I'm not really clear about the geography of the Wachau, but we grow a lot of Grüner Veltliner here. I'll recommend Dr. Frank's Grüner Veltliner 2023, $18.99. Although Dr. Frank's is based at Keuka Lake, these grapes are grown at a corner of Seneca Lake that is significantly warmer--the Banana Belt of the Finger Lakes--and the wine is on the border between the Federspiel and Smaragd styles.

garbagethoughts.jpg.82add0ae95cc775131661898d0a83670.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Good morning all. Thanks for all the information. When my sister called last night I had to confess that I had fallen victim to my sickness again. I just couldn't help myself. She then asked, did you book another cruise?  Yes, I moved my voyage of the vikings from 2025 to 2026 to be on board for the total eclipse of the sun. And I even got my same room and so many perks that it was a better deal. So my sister then says, I know you, what did you book to replace the moved cruise. And I had to admit I found a cruise on one of my favorite ships to the Amazon. I think swimming with the pink dolphins was a major highlight so wanted to do it again. I already have the excursion for the dolphins booked. My sister is very understanding. And my PCC found out that I could even get a Lanai so I am really happy. I told my boys yesterday too. They were very excepting of my sickness, so now I can just do my happy dance and just go with the only cure for this sickness and look forward to more cruises. I know, I'm weird. 

Edited by lindaler
spelling
  • Like 21
  • Haha 12

Good morning from a very wet Bluffton, SC

I have not had breakfast yet so this will be quick.

We are okay.  No water in the house but plenty outside.

I had a hard time sleeping last night.  

BIG THANK YOU to all of you for all your prayers and concerns and advice.

As for leaving the area, we are advised not to drive, but to stay home unless it is absolutely necessary.

Everyone in my neighborhood is home. So we are not alone here.

I am going to wake up DH and have breakfast and then i will give you a more extensive update provided we still have power and WiFi.

Thank you all again.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Heading out to OT this morning for what is likely the final session. She said last month she thought we didn't need to meet again - she got Dr to sign a letter of recommended equipment for work, showed me strengthening exercises & inquired about my willingness to take meds, so she thought she'd done what she could/should. I think maybe she'll do some assessments to chart current levels 🤷‍♀️

If the OT session is a quick one, I'll stop by the produce market on way home; they have the best radishes 😋

I have a call w/HR this morning- they scheduled, not me. Should be interesting. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 28

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. We arrived home on time ordered a pizza and retired early. Flights had some turbulence as weather was not nice around Minneapolis.

We received no rain just a little breezy at times here in our area of Florida.

Got to do some wash and maybe a grocery run but it’s going to be a fairly quiet week.

Thanks for the reports and postings. Coffee is calling. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.36ccebe134f5a8f837c6496562f232b3.jpeg

Looks like me six months ago. I am currently at a 154 lb ring from a 196 lb ring! 

• Like 25

53 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Welcome back. Yes, we were concerned. 

Thanks! Had issues that I had to address that has consumed all my time. Then we just had Debby with only 8.4 inches of rain in 24 hours. No flooding in our area; been in drought past two years.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny central Texas where it is 74F with practically no wind, 1mph.  The humidity is not too bad at 82% with a dew point of 68F.  The predicted high is 100F, so I plan to head to W-M and our local grocery storeas soon as possible, then stay inside and keep cool the rest of the day.

Fresh breath is always good.  A small group from my ninth grade science class toured our local hospital including the autopsy room where there was a sign "Halitosis is better than no breath".  I like root beer floats better than coke floats.  Blue Bell ice cream introduced a root beer ice cream flavor with A&W root beer.  It is very good, and much better than their Dr. Pepper float flavor.  We've visited and toured many lighthouses in our travels.

I like the Dalai Lama's quote.

The meal sounds good, and we've baked whole trout in foil on the grill which was very good.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Farsund either.  I noticed on the map, it is not far from Kristiansand, Norway.

Four interesting days in history, but two are not such good days.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope you can get all your errands accomplished and get that second shingles vaccine.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I hope all goes well at Pat's urologist appointment today.

@aliaschief  Welcome home, Bruce.  Glad you made it without any problems.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad the leg pain has disappeared.  Safe travels to Bay City and back today.

@kazu  Jacqui, it is understandable you are feeling unsettled about the move and leaving your home and gardens.  Just remember we're here when you need us.

@smitty34877  Terry, thanks for more information about the aide's feelings.  I glad you are feeling better about her today.

@RedneckBob  Welcome back, RNB.  You will always be Redneck Bob to me.

447022923_339489082498188_4718040200295413951_n.jpg.da146b463553a432bc103b2b91c1a3bb.jpg

453408927_454480214085549_7112884515274083761_n.jpg.10f39d5c1ba38aa03bb92e7fb5c72ce1.jpg

453416249_1023121009819424_2514070749795647492_n.jpg.ab312bdae99f92d938122aa8854effd7.jpg

453747113_451588574527570_2707871810056537401_n.jpg.52e99a189bb19a941aa0b19545e6f209.jpg

453996952_122159773700047017_5952577033408776884_n.jpg.4aa5cd927fea96ffa1099346394464ef.jpg

Lenda

Thanks!  

• Like 14

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I slept past 7:30 this morning, but the quiet of the morning didn't last long.  And my three day old quiche doesn't taste right,  even the cats don't want it. I will celebrate a root beer float, I like my fish a bit more charred (overcooked) but I would probably try it if someone else fixd it.  None of our friends cook or eat  fish.  So it's a DH and I thing. 

892a5bf2a852272d7d46f20bc1cb2857.jpg

When I called DH's doc yesterday to schedule those requested appointments per the hospital docs, all of them had received notices from the hospital (oncologist, pain doc, and his primary's PA)  The oncologist said that he would talk to DH on Monday when he comes in for his immunotherapy, the pain doc 's office said they would update the doc, but will probably want to see him after he sees the oncologist, and the primary's PA (he has never met his primary doc in 3 years) said they would call if there was an opening, otherwise they would see him in October.

They did ask why he wanted to come in earlier, and he said because he wanted answers. He wants a referral to get the fistula repaired (he has been told twice in the past month,  that this is not possible due to his cancer).and we start going in circles again. Someone needs to put in writing exactly what is happening to him so that he will settle down, and face and do the things that he needs to do.

I also have come to the conclusion that kittens and stray cats are the leading cause of falls in little old ladies.  They haven't taken me out yet, but I see this happening.  My ankles and knees are attached by small creatures from under the love seat, every time I get up and walk into the kitchen.

Today I go back to work. But since I forgot to take out the chicken for a crock pot meal, I will have to run out and get something at dinner time.  DH has not driven in about 10 months.

One of my favorite movies is Best Exoitic Marigold Hotel-when we learn that -it is not over until it's over, and it's not over yet.

We are watching the Olympics, but we watched the surfing in Tahiti, and the sailing from Marseille, so until this morning, we have not been in "Paris".  All that water and waves have been very soothing. 

Welcome home @RedneckBobYou have been missed! Will you be changing your CC name to RedneckBobbie?

Memories of Alaska- 

image.thumb.jpeg.54ee3e10b1765800a17f81d192a725e1.jpeg.

image.thumb.jpeg.db8ccbf88e3a3780e97ec49c5e5ded1a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.caab2493353999a64a6f8cf51b2d7f1d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7fda7174e35546cf2c395bb566ca56.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone from a cool 63F Northern Michigan.  Thanks for our daily updates.  Three nice days to recognize, did you know that Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state in the US?  

I like today’s quote, I’d much rather be happy than not.

The meal and drink suggestions sound nice, the 7 and 7 is my mom’s go to drink.

I haven’t been to today’s port.  

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Happy ________ to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D     Three great days to celebrate..    Special prayers for Carol  Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list..  Also, special prayers for Terri and Jim as Debbie pounds their area.  Happy to hear that they are still safe.

I’m not sure about the quote unless it can be combined with “it is better to give than to receive”,.

I have not been to today’s port

An even split of happy and sad days in history.

I don’t eat seafood so I’ll pass on the meal....  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Chilled Carrot and Orange Soup with Cumin, and Braised Lamb Shank. as served on MS Prinsendam August 6 2011..

Back from my walk and shopping and inside for the day, hot with a cold front coming through this evening.  An urban search and rescue team of career firefighters from several jurisdictions including some from my county is in South Carolina staging in Columbia.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I slept past 7:30 this morning, but the quiet of the morning didn't last long.  And my three day old quiche doesn't taste right,  even the cats don't want it. I will celebrate a root beer float, I like my fish a bit more charred (overcooked) but I would probably try it if someone else fixd it.  None of our friends cook or eat  fish.  So it's a DH and I thing. 

892a5bf2a852272d7d46f20bc1cb2857.jpg

When I called DH's doc yesterday to schedule those requested appointments per the hospital docs, all of them had received notices from the hospital (oncologist, pain doc, and his primary's PA)  The oncologist said that he would talk to DH on Monday when he comes in for his immunotherapy, the pain doc 's office said they would update the doc, but will probably want to see him after he sees the oncologist, and the primary's PA (he has never met his primary doc in 3 years) said they would call if there was an opening, otherwise they would see him in October.

They did ask why he wanted to come in earlier, and he said because he wanted answers. He wants a referral to get the fistula repaired (he has been told twice in the past month,  that this is not possible due to his cancer).and we start going in circles again. Someone needs to put in writing exactly what is happening to him so that he will settle down, and face and do the things that he needs to do.

I also have come to the conclusion that kittens and stray cats are the leading cause of falls in little old ladies.  They haven't taken me out yet, but I see this happening.  My ankles and knees are attached by small creatures from under the love seat, every time I get up and walk into the kitchen.

Today I go back to work. But since I forgot to take out the chicken for a crock pot meal, I will have to run out and get something at dinner time.  DH has not driven in about 10 months.

One of my favorite movies is Best Exoitic Marigold Hotel-when we learn that -it is not over until it's over, and it's not over yet.

We are watching the Olympics, but we watched the surfing in Tahiti, and the sailing from Marseille, so until this morning, we have not been in "Paris".  All that water and waves have been very soothing. 

Welcome home @RedneckBobYou have been missed! Will you be changing your CC name to RedneckBobbie?

Memories of Alaska- 

image.thumb.jpeg.54ee3e10b1765800a17f81d192a725e1.jpeg.

image.thumb.jpeg.db8ccbf88e3a3780e97ec49c5e5ded1a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.caab2493353999a64a6f8cf51b2d7f1d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c7fda7174e35546cf2c395bb566ca56.jpeg

No, that was my attempt at humor. I guess I’m a little rusty!

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Welcome back @RedneckBob  I’ve missed your quips. 

Thanks!  I misunderstood your work quip. I thought that was those machines years ago to transmit letters! 😀 I guess you can call that a quip!

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Yay for National Fresh Breath Day . . . the alternative, ugh!  I love floats of any kind, especially the foam; DH makes great floats with tons of foam that he always scoops out for me.  If I see a lighthouse it means I'm on a cruise . . . sadly I haven't seen one in a long time.

We had a brief thundershower last evening but by the time we went to bed it was long gone.  Apparently a bigger brother/sister showed up around 4:30 this morning and gave quite a display of light and noise.  Not that I heard any of it, but DH told me about it when I woke up later.  Looking out at the front street there's lots of water flowing past, so we won't have to turn on the sprinklers for the lawns at least.  

Last evening our DS in Calgary sent some videos of a hail storm they had - fortunately he'd covered their car with blankets, having bungee corded them down along with pillows over the windshield, so their vehicle didn't sustain any damage.  The hail was the size of ping pong balls and lasted about 15 minutes.  Later there was lots of rain and this morning I heard a radio report that parts of Calgary's domestic airport building are closed due to damage from last night's storm.  Sure glad we weren't planning on flying in or out of there today, and feel sorry for those who were.

@Cruzin Terrisending continued prayers for your safety and dryness!

@puppycanducruisebelated Happy Birthday for yesterday; I hope you had a great day.

@kazuthanks for even checking in - you're often thought of and prayers for on a regular basis.

This morning I've got breakfast with my retired colleagues which should be a fun couple of hours catching up on their lives.  After that I've got another couple of bags of things to drop off at the Salvation Army store and that's about all on my agenda for the day.  I will pass on the drink (don't like rye whiskey), will let others enjoy the white wine, but am looking at making today's menu suggestion using salmon for us to enjoy either on the deck or at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and in the paths of destructive storms and fires.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning from a very wet Bluffton, SC

I have not had breakfast yet so this will be quick.

We are okay.  No water in the house but plenty outside.

I had a hard time sleeping last night.  

BIG THANK YOU to all of you for all your prayers and concerns and advice.

As for leaving the area, we are advised not to drive, but to stay home unless it is absolutely necessary.

Everyone in my neighborhood is home. So we are not alone here.

I am going to wake up DH and have breakfast and then i will give you a more extensive update provided we still have power and WiFi.

Thank you all again.

God Bless,

Terri

👍 Thank you Terry!  
Hers info I just pulled off internet about Bluffton flooding, to give you clues as to your surroundings. Staying in sounds best!  
Continued Blessings! Maureen

IMG_2599.jpeg.003b1c08f2324436fb040fc9b376377d.jpegIMG_2600.jpeg.b96fc1dc54b4b8eb02ecef156b2542d1.jpeg

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

With the happiness that yesterday brought, sadness has reared it's head in that I have decided to put Sam down on Friday.

First the new baby! No name YET! Mom and baby are doing very well. Lilly is excited as a two year old can be!  We stayed with her once her mother's water broke at 12:30 am until last evening when her dad came home for some rest. We are just waiting on the call today to go back for Lily. Not sure if my daughter will come home tomorrow or Thursday.

Last evening Sam got himself into a corner in the kitchen just before we came home. His rear legs are really almost useless for trying to stand. Unfortunately it was a section of the hardwood floor that we don't have covered with throw rugs, towels, etc. It took almost a half hour to get him moved and on his feet. Very, very wobbly after that. We decided last night to go ahead with putting him down. The vet offered to do it late today but we will be at my daughter's house. It has been the worst week to decide as we have had the guest with young boys, my daughter having the baby early, and just the fact of making a decision! Then we had the same occur this morning of getting stuck in the Front Room! The guests will leave today instead of tomorrow which should help to calm the situation. I have noticed this week marked deterioration in his rear legs so it is time. He will have been with us three years Saturday and would be 12 in November.

Sam in better days
0201231719a.thumb.jpg.6d4bd13ddcfa86e262419e9b4dd91b75.jpg

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 8
  • Thanks 31

I have no photos for August 6.  This is a sunset from July , 2014 from Radiance of the Seas on an Alaska cruise where we docked in Juneau that day:

dusk0812.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

ScreenShot2024-08-06at07_31_00.png.d9b05812fbcdf3e6510eda51319278bf.png

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Chronic halitosis can be a sign of something bad and I love lighthouses (I want to stay in one).  But I don't like root beer so someone can have mine. It took me a long time to realize the quote and to actively seek happiness and not dwell in misery.  I do fish a lot en papillote and yes to a 7 & 7 (but diet 7-up, please). No to the wine and I have never been to Norway.  Two sad days in history along with 2 to raise a glass to.

IMG_8178.JPG.dc5c82ebb89ae76f9c53f7884729ba89.JPG

We should have some intense thunderstorms today (at least that is what I weather app states) but we will see.  We shouldn't hit 100F but it could be close.  Presently it is 81F with 56% humidity.  Quite pleasant.

IMG_8179.thumb.JPG.b9d51c9096cecb7c67fd4acb956b34bf.JPG

The drive yesterday was wonderful.  On my way to Yuma, I saw a "broken" rainbow.  I was about an hour early but the appt only lasted about 1 hour.  It was actually a pre-screening to see if I qualify for the study.  A little blood draw to look for a certain protein, a short cognitive test, and a voice recording (6 minutes of repeating back a list of words).  I should know in a week or so.  It is sponsored by Janssen.  The renumeration was VERY generous and very much worthy of my time.

IMG_8180.thumb.JPG.3f347646a621eecbd1b3d80c93d743de.JPG

Today, I have a zoom call for another survey about Medicare.  🤷‍♀️

I missed some birthdays and anniversaries so belated wishes. 

@RedneckBob I am so glad you are back!  

@Cruzin Terri Glad to hear you are safe.

@marshhawk Thinking of you and all you are going through.

IMG_8181.thumb.JPG.de4bf87e793ebfa50ed2c58419dbf079.JPG

Thoughts for all and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 21
  • Haha 6