Azamara Onward stateroom 7001

Jsik

I am going on a 10 day france cruise starting in Southampton UK (September 3) and had a guaranteed balcony. Today I found that they assigned us 7001 in the front of the ship. I am very nervous about the location and seasickness. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has stayed in this stateroom

1 hour ago, Jsik said:

I am going on a 10 day france cruise starting in Southampton UK (September 3) and had a guaranteed balcony. Today I found that they assigned us 7001 in the front of the ship. I am very nervous about the location and seasickness. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has stayed in this stateroom

The undernoted sticky thread is your friend!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1739068-azamara-cabins-thread/page/54/#comment-67624465

You are next door to two of the most expensive cabins on the ship (Owners Suites).  You are also on the center line of the ship relative to side-to-side rolling.  I tend to think all the location worry for seasickness is a bit overblown; the cabin location differences aren't as big a factor as people often think.  If the weather is rocking and you are prone to motion sickness, you'll feel it no matter where the cabin is.  My only hesitation about 7001 is that the balcony might be windy while traveling at full speed.  But we aren't especially susceptible to motion sickness, so this all is easy for me to say.  

Sometimes a bigger annoyance with far forward cabins is getting woken up early by the bow thrusters and/or the anchor chains when docking or anchoring at 6am, but deck six is more affected by that.

DW and I have never suffered from sea sickness, even in some rough passages.  But she walks the corridors every night after dinner, and she reports that there is a tremendous variation from the front (worst) to the middle (best) to the aft (not so bad).  This is true of every ship we have sailed, including Azamara.  If you get rough seas on your voyage, you will be the little kid on the seesaw with a big adult (the engines) on the other end.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW and I have never suffered from sea sickness, even in some rough passages.  But she walks the corridors every night after dinner, and she reports that there is a tremendous variation from the front (worst) to the middle (best) to the aft (not so bad).  This is true of every ship we have sailed, including Azamara.  If you get rough seas on your voyage, you will be the little kid on the seesaw with a big adult (the engines) on the other end.

This is my experience too. I've also learned that shorter, quicker steps makes walking easier down the corridors when there is more movement. Less drunken bumps into the handrail!

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a huge difference in movement in cabin location depending on the sea state.

If the movement is roll, meaning from side to side, there is little difference in the movement from forward to aft. The whole ship is rocking side to side.

If the movement is pitch, meaning up and down, there is lots of difference in the amount you will feel.  The worst cases will be the most forward, and highest, cabins (like 7001) and the best cases will be midship and low cabins (like 404x to 405x).  

• Like 4

We regularly book cabins in the 7006 to 7012 range on the port side of Azamara ships which are near your cabin. We will in fact be in 7012 on the Onward during the leg prior to your cruise). We are not especially susceptible to sea sickness and have not had problems. That part of the ship is extremely quiet which is why we like that area. You are relatively close to the forward elevators so getting to the forward "living room" on 10 and the forward cabaret lounge on 5 (where excursion meetups are held) is really easy. Of course both restaurants are aft on 5 and 9 so they are a hike but exercise is good for us so no worries here. Cabin 7001 is a P1 which comes with some extra benefits over a normal veranda. P1 cabins are actually included with suites as cabins that passengers can bid on as an upgrade so they are considered very desirable.

We actually were in 7001  a few years back on Quest for a circumnavigation of Japan. Expensive cruise, I grabbed a very last minute inside room for price reasons, and after two days of darkness, the Hotel Director, now retired, took pity on and offered us a free upgrade to 7001. Inside to balcony, no questions there. My wife is motion "sensitive" I'm not. It takes a lot to get her to come close to puking. She had NO problems, rocking or rolling. One small bit of caution, however. It's a somewhat noisy cabin, and definitely a noisy balcony. Every time that anchor either goes down or comes up, you will hear every link clunking and clanging. That said, we still had breakfast outside every day, and became friendly with the crew. It was fun chatting with them, something you rarely get to do, and we had them daily. Count your blessings, put away the worries, and how did you put in for a guaranteed balcony?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will be sailing the Bay of Biscay unfortunately an unpredictable area of sea that can both pitch and roll or be as smooth as glass. 
Buying a guarantee room is always a risk. Fingers crossed you have the Biscay glass 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jsik said:

Thank you everyone for your responses

7001 is the most expensive balcony category. I would have been overjoyed to get this for a balconyX cabin. For me, the cabins right at the stern are the least desirable. 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

You will be sailing the Bay of Biscay unfortunately an unpredictable area of sea that can both pitch and roll or be as smooth as glass. 
Buying a guarantee room is always a risk. Fingers crossed you have the Biscay glass 

When I first saw the post my thought was "I wonder if this sailing includes the Bay of Biscay?"

Having sailed through that Bay 4 times over the years, once like glass, once moderately rough and twice throw you out of bed (almost) rough, I would never be in a forward cabin in those seas.

It all depends on the sea state.  If you are in moderately calm seas, no there will be little or no problems with full forward.  If not, not so.  We know a Hotel Director whose assigned cabin is on Deck 8 forward behind the bridge who stays in a cabin not nearly as nice, but in a better location for movement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would never book this cabin again. When we opened the door to the balcony, a gust of wind howled through the cabin even though the door to the cabin was closed. Maybe the seal on the door was faulty. When I mentioned this to the Guest Relations Manager (who we knew from many previous sailings), she said "Toni, you don't want that cabin" and moved us to another balcony cabin.

This is one of the least desirable cabins for anyone concerned about motion sickness. 

I would suggest to Jsik that you have a chat with the Guest Relations Manager immediately when you board and ask to be switched to another  balcony cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Keeria said:

7001 is the most expensive balcony category. I would have been overjoyed to get this for a balconyX cabin. For me, the cabins right at the stern are the least desirable. 

I’m surprised. We had 6090 aft Verandah Plus on Journey last year and loved it. It had a huge balcony and we loved seeing the wake as we sailed and being able to see both sides when in port.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I’m surprised. We had 6090 aft Verandah Plus on Journey last year and loved it. It had a huge balcony and we loved seeing the wake as we sailed and being able to see both sides when in port.

I totally agree.

And the aft cabins are generally the very first to be booked and generally hard to obtain.

• Like 2

We are on this particular cruise as well. I have been seasick in the past so requested a cabin mid deck 4 last year for our Transatlantic crossing. There was plenty of rock and rolling but I swear by Sea Bands on my wrists. I never felt ill. Take some, just in case. Way better than medication that makes you…. See you on board. We’ll be on deck 4 again!  Ocean view. 

there is a HUGE downside to this cabin….forward facing balconies can’t be opened out of port due to wind, i’d keep that in mind depending even though the view is great.

18 hours ago, gowilk said:

there is a HUGE downside to this cabin….forward facing balconies can’t be opened out of port due to wind, i’d keep that in mind depending even though the view is great.

We have friends in this cabin on the Quest for a 12 day cruise from Venice to Rome.  Only one sea day and lots of late port departures.  Should be the perfect cruise to be in a forward-facing cabin.

Our favorite cabin has been midship on 7th deck. Not much rock and roll as my wife is prone to sea sickness. I have eaten alone in Acquilina and Prime C as the ship movement has bothered my wife where she ordered saltine crackers. If you are prone to sea sickness the best place to be is lower and to the center of the ship.  

3 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Our favorite cabin has been midship on 7th deck. Not much rock and roll as my wife is prone to sea sickness. I have eaten alone in Acquilina and Prime C as the ship movement has bothered my wife where she ordered saltine crackers. If you are prone to sea sickness the best place to be is lower and to the center of the ship.  

Has she tried ginger candies?  (or ginger in any form)  DW and I don't suffer from sea sickness, but we have seen ginger put out on several cruises when rough seas were expected.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I just bought ginger candies and Seabands which are acupressure wristbands. Hoping they work 

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Has she tried ginger candies?  (or ginger in any form)  DW and I don't suffer from sea sickness, but we have seen ginger put out on several cruises when rough seas were expected.

Thanks. She has tried everything.  The best result has been a watch that puts an electric impulse to the inside of the wrist. Found it on Amazon. I sailboat race so nothing bothers me. She a good sport however so a keeper 😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We're on this cruise as well (and also in guarantee veranda).  This is port-intensive France and goes nowhere near Bay of Biscay - we are just Southampton to Bordeaux - so it's pretty much coast-hopping.  7001 looks a lot better than the cabin we've been assigned!

@white_bear:  You will be sailing in the Bay of Biscay if you are going to Bordeaux.  I just sailed that route in reverse and the seas were very rough along the coast of France between Nantes and Brest.  There was a lot of movement on the ship.  The seasick bags were out around the ship.  There were fewer people in the dining rooms, too.

• Thanks 1