Cancellation after final, now in 50% window period

voljeep

with Platinum (100%) Princess / AON CFAR

If we should choose to cancel now - non medical - does that mean we would get a 50% refund in money back and a 50% Future Cruise credit

of the cruise fare?

What about port fees - 100% money back?

Prepaid specialty dinners - 100% money back?

Insurance - pretty sure that's a big NADA, ZERO, ZILCH?

just considering some options that  reared up

Yes - you would get 50% of the fare refunded to whichever card you used, and the other 50% as FCC. I think the port fees, taxes are also refunded (don't remember exactly if 100% to card or 50/50). And yes, do you NOT get the money back that you paid for the insurance. Hope it all works out, whatever you choose to do!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, voljeep said:

If we should choose to cancel now - non medical - does that mean we would get a 50% refund in money back and a 50% Future Cruise credit

of the cruise fare?

@voljeep, You may remember that I just had to cancel my cruise that was supposed to start this Sunday. Princess refunded us 100% of our taxes & port fees and also our prepaid specialty dinners. The money went back to our credit cards (which ever one was used to pay for each item) in only a few days.

I see that yours is a non-medical reason, but we canceled due to a medical reason and thankfully AON approved the claim. The only money that we lost was the amount of money that we paid for the Princess Vacation Protection.

My guess is that you will receive taxes, port fees, and specialty dining cost back to your credit card within the week (also any excursions or spa appointments that were prepaid). I’m guessing that you will receive a future cruise credit for the remainder. I am also guessing that you will only lose the amount of money that you paid for the insurance. Please share how it turns out and good luck. I sure do guess a lot! 🤣

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

You might ask insurance if you can transfer the policy to another trip. I buy travel insurance through a third party (not Princess) and in the past they have let me transfer the policy to another trip. I believe there was a time limitation (e.g. within a year). It could have been a COVID thing but I was able to do it with two separate trips. It’s worth at least a phone call to ask.

Have you actually paid for the insurance? Many leave their entire payment until final payment. If you haven't actually purchased the insurance I don't see how it would apply.

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Have you actually paid for the insurance? Many leave their entire payment until final payment. If you haven't actually purchased the insurance I don't see how it would apply.

OP said they’d paid in full, with Princess CFAR insurance thru AON, and that they’re now in the 5-% period. 

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

of the cruise fare?

Yes you are correct on all of your assumptions.  You can always cancel the specialty dinners first if you want to get some of what you paid back quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@voljeep, You may remember that I just had to cancel my cruise that was supposed to start this Sunday. Princess refunded us 100% of our taxes & port fees and also our prepaid specialty dinners. The money went back to our credit cards (which ever one was used to pay for each item) in only a few days.

I see that yours is a non-medical reason, but we canceled due to a medical reason and thankfully AON approved the claim. The only money that we lost was the amount of money that we paid for the Princess Vacation Protection.

My guess is that you will receive taxes, port fees, and specialty dining cost back to your credit card within the week (also any excursions or spa appointments that were prepaid). I’m guessing that you will receive a future cruise credit for the remainder. I am also guessing that you will only lose the amount of money that you paid for the insurance. Please share how it turns out and good luck. I sure do guess a lot! 🤣

I would “guess” that you’re spot on!  😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coopco said:

You might ask insurance if you can transfer the policy to another trip. I buy travel insurance through a third party (not Princess) and in the past they have let me transfer the policy to another trip. I believe there was a time limitation (e.g. within a year). It could have been a COVID thing but I was able to do it with two separate trips. It’s worth at least a phone call to ask.

Some insurance companies will let you transfer the insurance to another trip - if you have not filed a claim. None will pay a claim and then let you transfer. This generally applies if you cancel a cruise before the penalty period begins.

Princess Vacation Protection cannot be transferred to another cruise. However, unlike most other travel insurance, you receive a full refund of the cost of Princess Vacation Protection if you cancel before the penalty period beings.

In OP's case, the cancellation is after the penalty period began, and they are filing a claim for the OBC under CFAR - so no refund of the insurance cost.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Some insurance companies will let you transfer the insurance to another trip - if you have not filed a claim. None will pay a claim and then let you transfer. This generally applies if you cancel a cruise before the penalty period begins.

Princess Vacation Protection cannot be transferred to another cruise. However, unlike most other travel insurance, you receive a full refund of the cost of Princess Vacation Protection if you cancel before the penalty period beings.

In OP's case, the cancellation is after the penalty period began, and they are filing a claim for the OBC under CFAR - so no refund of the insurance cost.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm totally not familiar with Princess travel insurance because I always buy through USAA's affiliate. I bought Princess insurance once and didn't like the medical evacuation coverage but this information is helpful should I ever decide to purchase it in the future and supplement the evacuation coverage.