Blu questions

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zitsky said:

After everything they did he didn’t have the courtesy to hand it to someone and say thank you.  He threw it on the table like you would throw a piece of trash you expected them to clean up.  At least he didn’t hold it above their head and make them jump for it.  He was pretty drunk so I’m surprised he didn’t.

Again a $100 tip not too bad right?  Why were you looking at what this “dude” did?  There are a lot of people who tip big time without hesitation.  I’m not trying to be critical but I personally wouldn’t be checking out my dining neighbors behavior at any restaurant especially what they are tipping.  For us, none of our business.

Edited by Oville

4 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It depends on the staff and the maitre'd, some are not willing at all to go any extra mile others will try to make things happen especially if it's less complicated things like getting items from MDR.

On Beyond, I asked several different staff members in Blu if I could order from the MDR.  The answers were consistent.  "NO".  However, on the Ascent, the answer was "YES".  I guess it depends on the staff, especially the number of staff working I would guess.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, keesar said:

On Beyond, I asked several different staff members in Blu if I could order from the MDR.  The answers were consistent.  "NO".  However, on the Ascent, the answer was "YES".  I guess it depends on the staff, especially the number of staff working I would guess.

Agree, but if someone offers a $100 tip…😉

Edited by Oville

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Oville said:

Again a $100 tip not too bad right?  Why were you looking at what this “dude” did?  There are a lot of people who tip big time without hesitation.  I’m not trying to be critical but I personally wouldn’t be checking out my dining neighbors behavior at any restaurant especially what they are tipping.  For us, none of our business.

Uh, maybe because I was sitting at the table???  🙄

How do I explain.  If I want to leave a $100 tip I give it to staff.  I don’t throw it on the table and expect them to run up and catch it.

Edited by zitsky

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Uh, maybe because I was sitting at the table???  🙄

How do I explain.  If I want to leave a $100 tip I give it to staff.  I don’t throw it on the table and expect them to run up and catch it.

Your earlier post read “I’ve seen it happen where a pax asks for something special.  Once a scavenger hunt all over the ship.  Then the guy barely ate what they served and threw a $100 on the table.  It was more demeaning than appreciative.”

Sorry, you never made it clear you were sitting at the table, not sure why leaving it on the table is tacky but my guess is the staff member wasn’t unhappy.

Edited by Oville

Posted (edited)

Probably the wrong place to ask but if someone would lead me to the correct place I’d really appreciate it.  I use an IPad and can’t seem to block users.  Anyone have a solution?  Thanks Katie

Edited by Oville

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oville said:

Probably the wrong place to ask but if someone would lead me to the correct place I’d really appreciate it.  I use an IPad and can’t seem to block users.  Anyone have a solution?  Thanks Katie

I’d really like to know how to do this also.

Three lines upper right corner.

IMG_4242.png

Edited by zitsky

Posted (edited)

We enjoy Indian food and that doesn't usually appear on the menu. We asked the attendants if there was ever Indian food available in Blu, and they said no. Then the head waiter asked us were we going to be back again next evening, which we were. That night we were treated to a fabulous Indian buffet just for our table with multiple different dishes.  Really was a case of the other tables saying 'I'll have what they are having' 😂

We certainly did not expect this, and nor did we ask for it. But we were very appreciative of their kindness. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We enjoy Indian food and that doesn't usually appear on the menu. We asked the attendants if there was ever Indian food available in Blu, and they said no. Then the head waiter asked us were we going to be back again next evening, which we were. That night we were treated to a fabulous Indian buffet just for our table with multiple different dishes.  Really was a case of the other tables saying 'I'll have what they are having' 😂

We certainly did not expect this, and nor did we ask for it. But we were very appreciative of their kindness. 

How did the food compare to what you get at home?  We have a large Indian community near us.  Finding good Indian (or Nepali) food can be hit or miss but we have found some good ones.  There is that Indian dinner in the planner now that is hosted at Sushi on Five.  At least it’s offered on the Millennium.

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

There is that Indian dinner in the planner now that is hosted at Sushi on Five.  At least it’s offered on the Millennium.

That's the Taj Dinner and it was very good   A whole lot of food.  

I will offer one word of caution, it was spiced very well.  My wife could not eat some of it as she cannot take spicy (hot) food.  I however, had the first vindaloo that tasted authentic I have had on a ship.   There was even a bit that I could not finish. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Turn in your southerner card right now.  That is blasphemy. 

I’m a Southerner.  From south (western) Pennsylvania near the Mason-Dixon Line.  I grew up listening to country and bluegrass on WJAC radio.  I came to North Carolina to teach them about better breakfast foods.  And because my mother could never cook fried green tomatoes the right way.  Bless her heart.

Edit:  Ever hear of scrapple?  It’s kind of like liver mush.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

How did the food compare to what you get at home?  We have a large Indian community near us.  Finding good Indian (or Nepali) food can be hit or miss but we have found some good ones.  There is that Indian dinner in the planner now that is hosted at Sushi on Five.  At least it’s offered on the Millennium.

Because I can get such good Indian food at home, I have yet to try it on the ship. However, my daughter and husband have said that it's very good and legit. A lot of chefs on Celebrity are from India and know how to cook the food as is should be. Maybe I'll try it next time.

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I wonder if they would do this in Luminae?  Instead of paying extra for the Taj dinner.  We’ll be in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.  I signed up for a Celebrity “visit a Phuket, Thailand food market with chef plus lunch and dinner”.  It’s very expensive.

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ever hear of scrapple?  It’s kind of like liver mush.

Yes and it is delicious with eggs over easy or sunny side up and a side of grits. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, zitsky said:

It was excellent. The chefs are clearly Indian ethnicity. And it was nice and spicy which we love. And we have excellent Indian and also Thai restaurants here in Adelaide STH Australia due to large Indian and Thai community here and also throughout Australia. Just so nice to get all the different tastes.  My go to in the Celebrity Buffet is the daily Indian meal while husband has the sushi, which sadly, has gone to its own restaurant. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 5:36 PM, zitsky said:

Pancakes are better than waffles.  🙂

NOT the gluten-free ones. I ordered them one day and the only option was blueberry - I was ok with that, not realizing that they would be this pale, not attractive shade of purple and the texture of thick crepes. (When I go visit my parents, my dad always makes pancakes on Saturday morning and he gets gluten-free mix and they are light and fluffy, so being a thick crepe texture is NOT automatic with gluten-free pancakes.) I ate them because they made them special (after being a bit put out that I hadn't ordered the night before), but they were NOT great. I *might* give them another chance the next time by ordering the night before, but that's to be determined.

They definitely do made to order omelets. I think someone near me ordered oatmeal as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

They definitely do made to order omelets. I think someone near me ordered oatmeal as well.

I’d like to know if anyone has asked for uncooked oatmeal anywhere on the ship.  It’s how we eat it at home.

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’d like to know if anyone has asked for uncooked oatmeal anywhere on the ship.  It’s how we eat it at home.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing this..  🙂

We stick to the BLU menu but after a few days  we may ask for some variety in the pre dinner spreads....very easily accomodated. 

If we do not like the dinner menu we go to Specialty or try to get  res in the MDR.  And must make one trip for  waffles in the buffet.. hot and fresh!

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’ve never heard of anyone doing this..  🙂

Once you have raw oatmeal the cooked stuff seems disgusting.  It’s just like eating any other cereal.  I’ll eat LIFE cereal if I’m desperate.  “Hey Mikey!”.

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

If you can't get it raw let me know. I have some unused cardboard around here I'll run through the shredder and ship to you. 😎

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

If you can't get it raw let me know. I have some unused cardboard around here I'll run through the shredder and ship to you. 😎

I ordered it once in New Hampshire when I was on a business trip 20 years ago.  The cook came out to see who the weirdo was.

• Haha 3