12 noon flight or 2pm flight

I have a choice of two flights (aprox times above) upon returning on the Gem to the

Miami airport. I have cruised out of there before but can't remember which one was the

one I picked! It seems like a long wait for 2pm but don't want to miss my plane either. Thanks.

The question is do you have lounge access at the airport and do you want to be one of the last people off and avoid all of the rushing around.

Does the 2 hour difference mean you arrive home during rush hour?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'll be a contrarian.  I would take the 2:00.  I like to have a leisurely breakfast with a screwdriver or two and hang around on the ship until they boot me off around 9:30.  At that time, all lines are gone and it is a simple walk through security, etc.  The disembarking crowds are diminished and I can grab an Uber easily.  Nominal case would put me at MIA 11 - 11:30.  Nice cushion for a 2:00 flight.  But, that's just me.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

... boot me off around 9:30.  At that time, all lines are gone and ... I can grab an Uber easily.  Nominal case would put me at MIA 11 - 11:30. 

Our clocks must move at different speeds, my friend. :classic_ninja: You walk off the ship at 9:30 and hop into an Uber, you can make a 12 o'clock flight without any problem at all.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Our clocks must move at different speeds, my friend. :classic_ninja: You walk off the ship at 9:30 and hop into an Uber, you can make a 12 o'clock flight without any problem at all.

They probably do.  They boot me off the ship at 9:30.  By the time I walk through the labyrinth to the Uber/Lyft pickup it's 10:00.  Uber is there in 5 - 10 minutes and hopefully the driver understands English.  If(!) traffic is favorable, I'll be at the airport by 11:00.  That's too close for comfort for me, likely not for many/most others.  I never said a person couldn't make it.  I just shared one slacker's contrarian approach/opinion.  I refuse to violently terminate my vacation with a rush, rush, rush, will we make it?, experience if I can easily avoid it.  I'm not in any big hurry to get home.😎

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm not in any big hurry to get home.😎

I get it. A couple hours in an airport bar with a Blue Moon never hurt.🐀

( I notice that our emoji is gone.)

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2024 at 5:59 PM, Peachypooh said:

I have a choice of two flights (aprox times above) upon returning on the Gem to the

Miami airport. I have cruised out of there before but can't remember which one was the

one I picked! It seems like a long wait for 2pm but don't want to miss my plane either. Thanks.

Making a noon flight should not be an issue at all, but if you are risk averse then take the later flight. 

• Thanks 1

Noon is safe as long as you aren't waiting to be booted off with ChiefMateJRK.  I've done Miami a few times in the last few years.  If you get off with the self-disembark group you'll likely end up at the airport at 9:00 with time for Second Breakfast AND Elevensies.. Not even sport.

57 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Noon is safe as long as you aren't waiting to be booted off with ChiefMateJRK.  I've done Miami a few times in the last few years.  If you get off with the self-disembark group you'll likely end up at the airport at 9:00 with time for Second Breakfast AND Elevensies.. Not even sport.

IMO you do t even need to think about rushing off the ship and using self disembark to make a noon flight in MIA, in fact you can probably wait with the chief and make a noon flight. 

19 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They probably do.  They boot me off the ship at 9:30.  By the time I walk through the labyrinth to the Uber/Lyft pickup it's 10:00.  Uber is there in 5 - 10 minutes and hopefully the driver understands English.  If(!) traffic is favorable, I'll be at the airport by 11:00.  That's too close for comfort for me, likely not for many/most others.  I never said a person couldn't make it.  I just shared one slacker's contrarian approach/opinion.  I refuse to violently terminate my vacation with a rush, rush, rush, will we make it?, experience if I can easily avoid it.  I'm not in any big hurry to get home.😎

I’m with you on this one, Chief.  I’d rather arrive three hours early for a flight than one minute late.  Right now I’m sitting in the boarding lounge at LAX and figure to be here for at least another hour before my flight begins boarding.  I might even have time to explore the terminal to find the best looking sandwich to take on the plane.

20 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Neither are we.  The words hurry and rush are not in my or my husband's vacation vocabulary.  

• 4 weeks later...

We ended up booking the 2:00pm flight home with a 3 hour layover for our

connecting flight so I am pretty confident it will work out ok.

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Like 2