Things that Celebrity does not tell you…

IDL

11 hours ago, doghog said:

You must have boarded after 1:PM when the cabins were open to occupy.  

So 1:00pm is when cabins are available?  Because lots of folks board early.  

39 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

It’s an ADA requirement at least in the US. The chime indicators are for the blind so they know what direction the elevator is going. Not sure if it’s the same everywhere in the world, but it’s more commonplace than not.

ADA is a US requirement and many, many buildings were constructed before it passed.  In my apartment building there is no such signal which is why it struck me and why I posted it. 

Great thread and I love the answers.  Just came off our first-time Eclipse experience and we were impressed with every aspect of this smaller, older ship.  My only complaint is about the lazy passengers who find it inconvenient to use soap and water in the bathrooms.  Sanitizers do not get it all, including Norovirus I'm told.  I chafe every time I see someone exit the stall, run three fingers under water for two seconds and think they've washed their hands.  Celebrity (along with most ships) makes it easy to wash properly and I absolutely LOVED the individual hand towels provided in every public bathroom.  There was even a remote door opener inside and outside--good for handicapped folks, but also great for not having to touch the door handles.  I think paying attention to these details can keep people healthy... nothing worse than having a cruise interrupted by sickness.  Many of us have been there and it ain't pleasant.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Though yes...I do like the idea...and will enjoy it for our Connie cruise coming up.  Does it seem to work out OK with attendants working around them?  It's something we have not experienced yet.  So many new things to explore!  🙂 

You'll be surprised how well it works, how much the staff has completed and how nice it is to ditch the carry on(s). You can also stash stuff in the safe if you want. We wish RC and Princess would follow Celebritys lead. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So 1:00pm is when cabins are available?  Because lots of folks board early.  

Typically ~1:PM is when the announcement is made that the cabins are ready and has been our experiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Great thread and I love the answers.  Just came off our first-time Eclipse experience and we were impressed with every aspect of this smaller, older ship.  My only complaint is about the lazy passengers who find it inconvenient to use soap and water in the bathrooms.  Sanitizers do not get it all, including Norovirus I'm told.  I chafe every time I see someone exit the stall, run three fingers under water for two seconds and think they've washed their hands.  Celebrity (along with most ships) makes it easy to wash properly and I absolutely LOVED the individual hand towels provided in every public bathroom.  There was even a remote door opener inside and outside--good for handicapped folks, but also great for not having to touch the door handles.  I think paying attention to these details can keep people healthy... nothing worse than having a cruise interrupted by sickness.  Many of us have been there and it ain't pleasant.

Agree but this isn't just a cruise thing. It happens everywhere. Worldwide. Can't do anything about it. Maybe live in a bubble. 😁 We take the same precaution's we always have no matter where we are. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, doghog said:

Agree but this isn't just a cruise thing. It happens everywhere. Worldwide. Can't do anything about it. Maybe live in a bubble. 😁 We take the same precaution's we always have no matter where we are. 

Sadly true.  Good point, doghog.  One sees this everywhere.

2 hours ago, st5310 said:

I can't stand it. When did hand washing and basic hygiene become such a burden? I would say 1 out of 5 walk out of public restrooms without washing their hands. It's just disgusting. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:19 AM, IDL said:

There may be a list of things standard things Celebrity does not tell you but since it is not pinned who knows.  I’ll start here:

*On E class ships you can order any item from any of the for dinning rooms regardless of which dining you are in. 
* On E class ships you can do anytime dining or just go to the host stand on the first day at any of the 4 dining rooms and request a specific time and table to ensure the same wait staff.

*Can carry a drink from the Elite class happy hour to any dining room to drink with your dinner.

* Can have your cabin attendant clear out your mini bar fridge to make room for your own drinks. 
* The locker room facilities in the spa are open to all passengers; not just people using the spa services.

*The snack foods at Cafe Al Bacio are included, though there is no signage stating that nor does it state that on the Celebrity app.

*Can get Elite happy hour drinks at Cafe Al Bacio which is handy to take bottled water and soda back to the cabin but can get wine as well.

*I shower with bar soap so always ask for extra bars of soap.

So, may order from Blue if you are not in an Aqua cabin?  If that's true, what's the point of booking Aqua and paying more?  Also, how would they control a person entering a locker room (on the Edge) from not going to the (paid for) SEA Thermal Suites area? and as result, again, if that's true, what's the point of booking Aqua (it includes access to the SEA Thermal Suites) and paying more?

25 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

So, may order from Blue if you are not in an Aqua cabin?  If that's true, what's the point of booking Aqua and paying more?  Also, how would they control a person entering a locker room (on the Edge) from not going to the (paid for) SEA Thermal Suites area? and as result, again, if that's true, what's the point of booking Aqua (it includes access to the SEA Thermal Suites) and paying more?

No, you cannot order from Blu if you are not in Aqua; you can order from the four main dining rooms no matter which one you are in having a meal.  Blu, as it is not one of the four(main) dining rooms. I cannot answer your other questions, but just clarifying the first.   I am sure someone else can from this thread.  Luminae is for suites(included in price) and Blu for Aqua(also included in price.)  Hope this clarification helps.  Suite guests can eat in Blu if space is available, also invite others for a price into Luminae, but I do not want to get into all of that, just the four main dining rooms.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

...any of the four(4)main dining rooms...it came out as “for" due to spell check.  I never mentioned Blu, as it is not one of the four(main) dining rooms.  I cannot answer your other questions, but just clarifying the first.   I am sure someone else can from this thread.  Luminae is for suites(included in price) and Blu for Aqua(also included in price.)  Hope this clarification helps.  Suite guests can eat in blu if space is available, also invite others for a price into Luminae, but I do not want to get into all of that, just the four main dining rooms.

Thank you.  Now it makes sense.

"I never mentioned Blu" - Are you the same person as who I replied to (it says IDL)?

Edited by kirtihk

15 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Thank you.  Now it makes sense.  Are you the same person as who I replied to (it says IDL)?

No, but just trying to clarify.  You are very welcome!  (Lastdance).  I edited my post, so you read it before I went back through it.  I am not the OP(original poster.). S🙂rry for the confusion!

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Blu is not one of the 4 main dining rooms and is reserved for only Aqua class and also Suite passengers based on availability.

It’s up to Celebrity personnel to monitor their ship and their own rules but the locker room is available to all passengers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, birdylady said:

If we have a set time and location would it possible to be on a table for more than just us?

You can ask...but that would be dependent on others wanting to share. And in my experience most people doing Select dining do so for the pretty much for sure private table.

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Also, how would they control a person entering a locker room (on the Edge) from not going to the (paid for) SEA Thermal Suites area? and as result, again, if that's true, what's the point of booking Aqua (it includes access to the SEA Thermal Suites) and paying more?

On Beyond, you were given a key card to access the Thermal Suite when you checked in. Short of tailgating someone else going in or hanging around to try to get in when someone else is leaving, you're not going to be able to get in. (And in the case of someone tailgating or grabbing the door on another exiting, I'd hope the person would ask where their card is and not just allow them in.)

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’ve worked in customer service roles for a long time.  I do not understand people who think that providing feedback to an organization is “complaining”.  Even when it’s venting on Cruise Critic, often it’s because a customer wants Celebrity to be better.  Most surveys include spaces for what you liked or what you didn’t.

I am more influenced by someone setting an example of good behavior and less by someone telling me what to do.  Practice what you preach.

Dear @zitsky here is my thought on this.  Constructive criticism on surveys and to customer service is valuable.  Even venting on cruise critic can be valuable especially if suggestions come with it.  But people who are just flat out complaining about the same thing (for example, IV's), on any thread they can, sometimes over years - this starts to fall on deaf ears and is not effective.  I am not at all implying that you do this BTW.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, IDL said:

Blu is not one of the 4 main dining rooms and is reserved for only Aqua class and also Suite passengers based on availability.

It’s up to Celebrity personnel to monitor their ship and their own rules but the locker room is available to all passengers.

Another cruiser wrote that it was a typo in your post ("for").

I assume is it a joke (it cannot be serious) - how would they monitor it?  I can picture a crew member is walking behind EACH person who goes to a locker room (without an access to the Thermal Suites) and patiently waiting as long as it takes until that cruiser is done (with whatever) and then follows back to the exit (and if it no match male/female, that crew member would "scream" for a matching personnel to appear as soon as possible to proceed that routine).  I like these kind of pictures in my head (they make my day not to be boring).

46 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

On Beyond, you were given a key card to access the Thermal Suite when you checked in. Short of tailgating someone else going in or hanging around to try to get in when someone else is leaving, you're not going to be able to get in. (And in the case of someone tailgating or grabbing the door on another exiting, I'd hope the person would ask where their card is and not just allow them in.)

Exactly!  That's why I asked my question as a reply to "The locker room facilities in the spa are open to all passengers; not just people using the spa services."

18 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Exactly!  That's why I asked my question as a reply to "The locker room facilities in the spa are open to all passengers; not just people using the spa services."

Am I going to see you on a Celebrity most wanted list for sneaking into the spa?  lol

It is true that most (all?) ships allow you to use the spa locker room and use the sauna there.  Are we saying that once you are in the locker room you are behind the locked door and go wherever you choose?  I would guess that the spa staff know who they just let in even if they don't have your face on their computer.  So they might know you were just supposed to be in the locker room, not the steam room or on the heated loungers, for example.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Dear @zitsky here is my thought on this.  Constructive criticism on surveys and to customer service is valuable.  Even venting on cruise critic can be valuable especially if suggestions come with it.  But people who are just flat out complaining about the same thing (for example, IV's), on any thread they can, sometimes over years - this starts to fall on deaf ears and is not effective.  I am not at all implying that you do this BTW.  

It's OK, you can use my name.  None of us work for Celebrity Cruises.  Their marketing budget is already big enough and they don't need posters here apologizing for how they label things.  I'll try to ease off the criticism, but I ask the cheerleaders to stop drinking the kool-aid.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Am I going to see you on a Celebrity most wanted list for sneaking into the spa?  lol

It is true that most (all?) ships allow you to use the spa locker room and use the sauna there.  Are we saying that once you are in the locker room you are behind the locked door and go wherever you choose?  I would guess that the spa staff know who they just let in even if they don't have your face on their computer.  So they might know you were just supposed to be in the locker room, not the steam room or on the heated loungers, for example.

We always book Aqua; so, no haunting by Celebrity for me.

On the Edge, once you are in the locker room, the door to the steam/sauna area is on the opposite side of the room meaning you are free (in a different sense of "free") to proceed there.  On other 2 classes locker rooms are not attached to the Persian Garden; so, they are free, and they are also connected to free sauna (no steam room).

On 8/10/2024 at 9:19 AM, IDL said:

There may be a list of things standard things Celebrity does not tell you but since it is not pinned who knows

I do. Too many important things that Celebrity needs to tell passengers, like time zone changes and when to be back on board from an excursion. Also, port changes and cancelled tours and weather advisories. These "standard things" as the OP calls them, are rather inane and will easily be figured out the first day or two on board, by anyone with common sense and the ability to ask a question. I know that an inside cabin does not have a window. I know that port side and starboard side are still just that when the ship is going in the opposite direction. All this while drinking an Old Fashioned at the Martini Bar.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I do. Too many important things that Celebrity needs to tell passengers, like time zone changes and when to be back on board from an excursion. Also, port changes and cancelled tours and weather advisories. These "standard things" as the OP calls them, are rather inane and will easily be figured out the first day or two on board, by anyone with common sense and the ability to ask a question. I know that an inside cabin does not have a window. I know that port side and starboard side are still just that when the ship is going in the opposite direction. All this while drinking an Old Fashioned at the Martini Bar.  

Great, then you don’t need to read the thread or comment on it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IDL said:

Great, then you don’t need to read the thread or comment on it. 

Of course I do. Just posting on behalf of others in the know. You know the "two sides to every story" analogy, right? We are on opposites sides. Ain't no thing. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel