Boston Hotels at the Seaport District

We will be boarding the Celebrity Eclipse in Boston this fall.  We have booked room  at the Homewood Suites Boston Seaport District prior to our cruise.  Yesterday I searched Celebrity's Hotel booking system and found a much lower price (15% lower)  for the Renaissance and even lower (another 15% ) for the Omni.  We are arriving in the late afternoon and will check-in, go out for dinner and return to our room.  We are unclear where Celebrity docks but are assuming it is at the Royal Caribbean Dock.  We were thinking we would just walk to the port or Lift/Uber.  We travel light with carry-on  bags only. I am interested in members thoughts of these hotels, prices, where to eat and how easy it is to get to the port.  Thank you for your help.

Homewood suites is part of the Hampton Inn & Suites newest building hotel at the Seaport.  It is the closest to the Black Falcon/ Ray Flynn Cruise Terminal which serves all cruise lines that call on Boston.  As mentioned, Celebrity rates are per person. If your rate is lower that $350 for one night before  taxes total, Stay put.  Omni and Renaissance are blocks away and will be a more strenuous walk with baggage to the check in area.  Legal Seafoods is the best seafood restaurant on the Seaport area. At least they won't gauge tourists.  Food is good.  If you do get a little time to tour, The Silver bus line is right outside your hotel and will take you into downtown Boston near Faneuil Hall.

22 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

There is only one cruise ship dock in Boston. However, check Celebrity's pricing. I always thought they charged per person, not per room. 

OP didn’t say they booked hotel through Celebrity, just that was who they are cruising on. If they booked through the cruise line you are right but I can almost 100% guarantee you that the difference is >15%

14 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

If you stay near the port, Legal Seafood is mentioned a lot here as having good food. 

I really like Legal Seafood. Legalseafoods.com. 

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

OP didn’t say they booked hotel through Celebrity, just that was who they are cruising on. If they booked through the cruise line you are right but I can almost 100% guarantee you that the difference is >15%

The OP did state that they look at Celebrity's system and found hotels cheaper than the one they booked. I just wanted to point out that Celebrity normally charges per person, not per room, so they were comparing pricing correctly.

15 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

Homewood suites is part of the Hampton Inn & Suites newest building hotel at the Seaport.  It is the closest to the Black Falcon/ Ray Flynn Cruise Terminal which serves all cruise lines that call on Boston.  As mentioned, Celebrity rates are per person. If your rate is lower that $350 for one night before  taxes total, Stay put.  Omni and Renaissance are blocks away and will be a more strenuous walk with baggage to the check in area.  Legal Seafoods is the best seafood restaurant on the Seaport area. At least they won't gauge tourists.  Food is good.  If you do get a little time to tour, The Silver bus line is right outside your hotel and will take you into downtown Boston near Faneuil Hall.

Thank you.  That is very helpful information.   Our current hotel is a little over $100 savings over booking with the pp price of Celebrity Hotels.  We will stay put for now but keep looking at prices.  I did see on our roll call that many are staying at the Aloft hotel.  Aloft’s website shows a savings over our current hotel.   I realize it is a smaller room, farther away and doesn’t include breakfast.  

2 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

Thank you.  That is very helpful information.   Our current hotel is a little over $100 savings over booking with the pp price of Celebrity Hotels.  We will stay put for now but keep looking at prices.  I did see on our roll call that many are staying at the Aloft hotel.  Aloft’s website shows a savings over our current hotel.   I realize it is a smaller room, farther away and doesn’t include breakfast.  

The Aloft near the seaport is nice. Rooms are plenty spacious for two people. Easy Uber to the port. They serve breakfast, just not free. We enjoyed it the time we stayed there and it was an easy walk to the seaport, albeit uphill on the way back.  

3 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

What you would spend on breakfast and an Uber or Taxi for your evening dining will easily eat up the hotel savings.  I'm a Hilton Honors member, so usually stay where I know the brand and the area is better known to me as well.

• Like 1

I was quite happy with my stay at the Yotel on Seaport Blvd last fall (a bit further out from the actual port). The rooms are small (I was travelling solo, so it didn't bother me), but they're well lit, clean, comfortable, and it was easy to get transit from the airport to the hotel, and then walk from the hotel to the port. (Although it was stupidly hot that day and I was melting by the time I got on board.) (There is also a Trader Joe's next door, which I used to pick up breakfast bits in the AM.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

What you would spend on breakfast and an Uber or Taxi for your evening dining will easily eat up the hotel savings.  I'm a Hilton Honors member, so usually stay where I know the brand and the area is better known to me as well.

Besides Legal Seafoods, any other restaurants you recommended within walking distance of the Hampton Inn & Suites? 

Thanks! 

We had a reservation for Homewood suites for a 1 bedroom suite for 3 adults, but I switched to another hotel after reading reviews about their sofa beds.

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Besides Legal Seafoods, any other restaurants you recommended within walking distance of the Hampton Inn & Suites? 

Thanks! 

Chickadee is excellent, and is basically next door.

Yankee Lobster for a sort of "shack" experience

My Diner is our favorite diner in Boston, the Galley Diner is good, too.  Both great b'fast options

Row 34 is our favorite seafood restaurant in Boston, we think it's better than Legals and more affordable

75 Liberty is good

Bar Volpe is excellent

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Plenty of other options and agree with Nitemare-- plenty of better options than Legal. 

Second vote on 75 Liberty-- sister restaurant to 75 Chestnut in Beacon Hill. Owned by the Cheers folks but they started 75 Chestnut to be a neighborhood bar for people that live there and don't want the Cheers hype and tourists and 75 Liberty carries this over well. Very good, reasonably priced food right on the water.

SAVR in the St Regis Residences is very good-- easy to eat at the bar overlooking the water if you just want a quick bite. 

Moooo is a great local steakhouse (much better than the numerous corporate steakhouses closer to the water).

The Barking Crab is an old favorite-- this place was here before the Seaport was even developed. The seafood is equally as good as the people watching. I would pick this over Legal any day, especially if it's a nice day out. 

Not walking distance but if you want really great seafood spot that blows the doors off of a chain like Legal go to Neptune Oyster in the North End. 

Overall the food in the Seaport is good but there are much better, much more local options located elsewhere in the city. The Seaport is very commercialized. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 3:07 PM, Midwest Sunseeker said:

Assuming you mean the Aloft on D Street, it is definitely walkable to the cruiseport with carryon luggage. I used to live in the apartment building next to the Aloft and walked to the cruiseport.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 6:06 PM, zqvol said:

The Aloft near the seaport is nice. Rooms are plenty spacious for two people. Easy Uber to the port. They serve breakfast, just not free. We enjoyed it the time we stayed there and it was an easy walk to the seaport, albeit uphill on the way back.  

The Element hotel is next door to Aloft and has free breakfast. They are both Marriott brands. If you only want a 1 night stay I found you might need to book through Trip Advisor or Marriott/Element direct. 

16 hours ago, Willwils said:

The Element hotel is next door to Aloft and has free breakfast. They are both Marriott brands. If you only want a 1 night stay I found you might need to book through Trip Advisor or Marriott/Element direct. 

I would never book thru TripAdvisor.  This just adds a third AND fourth party to the transaction, as TA doesn't actually book anything, they use another unknown party to actually make the booking.

Book direct, or use a 3rd party that you already know and trust.

On 9/11/2024 at 3:22 PM, Nitemare said:

I would never book thru TripAdvisor.  This just adds a third AND fourth party to the transaction, as TA doesn't actually book anything, they use another unknown party to actually make the booking.

Book direct, or use a 3rd party that you already know and trust.

TA just provided a link to Element/Marriott website