Suite guarantee Beyond

We booked a suite guarantee on The Beyond and within 48 hours we were assigned a Magic Carpet suite, which we are fine with. As the cruise date gets closer (31 days!), the cruise isn’t sold out, but the suite guarantee is now for a Sky Suite, not MC….all MC suites are booked.  Because we booked a guarantee, are we likely to get a suite other than our current MC suite, which would be an upgrade to the MC suite? Thoughts and experiences?

Posted (edited)

Typically what you are currently assigned would not change.  At the time that you purchased the GTY it was based on the lower base starting category, which was issued to you.  If it is now based on a higher starting category that typically would be for new bookings.

With GTY's, once assigned you can contact whomever you booked with to request a location change to a different location within the same sub-category as that issued based on availability.  You could always ask to see if they would upgrade your assignment to the current GYY base category. That likely would not be automatic without a request, and may not be possible then. But IMO it is certainly worth a try.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)

I assume that Magic Carpet Suites (the least expensive) are now sold out. The suite you were assigned will not change without your consent now that you've paid.  Maybe the price for a Sky Suite Guarantee (Category "W") has gone down and you'll only have to pay the change fee (~$200) and you could ask for an upgrade to a specific Sky Suite and pay any difference.  You could also go through "MoveUp" and bid on one if any offer has been made to you.

Edited by Andy_P

Only other thing I've heard (no first hand experience) is that you can request to be put back in the GTY pool and get a new assignment.  It's possible you will get the same MC suite assigned.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Only other thing I've heard (no first hand experience) is that you can request to be put back in the GTY pool and get a new assignment.  It's possible you will get the same MC suite assigned.

Never heard of that and the GTY program doesn't work that way. It's a one way program and once it is assigned you have your stateroom, and they move on to the next booking. That would not be necessary anyway as based on availability, the program provides that you can request to move to another same sub-category stateroom as that assigned if you want a different location at no charge.  We have done this several times, most recently about a month ago with an upcoming cruise.

And I am not aware of relinquishing your stateroom in order to enter into another GTY booking. It doesn't provide that flexibility as it is the same as any other booking other than the cruise line selects your stateroom and you receive a lower fare.  That in essence would be canceling your current booking and booking a new reservation, with any financial penalty that would incur.  At the very least if this was possible you would have to pay the difference to the current GTY fares.

Just relaying what I've seen posted previously on this forum.  I didn't claim any first hand knowledge, I don't believe you are claiming any either.  Just saying OP could call Celebrity or their and inquire if they desired.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Just relaying what I've seen posted previously on this forum.  I didn't claim any first hand knowledge, I don't believe you are claiming any either.  Just saying OP could call Celebrity or their and inquire if they desired.

It's not a challenge and I realize you indicated no first hand knowledge.  But I have booked a number of them and once a GTY is issued it is like any other booking.  Changing it or booking into another category (or GTY) would follow the existing policies regarding changing any existing booking.  The GTY program is not fluid as you suggest you have heard. 

But certainly the OP can call as I also suggested in my first response to them - it never hurts to ask.  But I am pretty sure of the answer.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Never heard of that and the GTY program doesn't work that way. It's a one way program and once it is assigned you have your stateroom, and they move on to the next booking. That would not be necessary anyway as based on availability, the program provides that you can request to move to another same sub-category stateroom as that assigned if you want a different location at no charge.  We have done this several times, most recently about a month ago with an upcoming cruise.

And I am not aware of relinquishing your stateroom in order to enter into another GTY booking. It doesn't provide that flexibility as it is the same as any other booking other than the cruise line selects your stateroom and you receive a lower fare.  That in essence would be canceling your current booking and booking a new reservation, with any financial penalty that would incur.  At the very least if this was possible you would have to pay the difference to the current GTY fares.

I was able to get my Aqua guarantee thrown back into the pool and get a new cabin reassigned. Aqua class was wide open, I called to book through a TA and within hours we were assigned 1502 on Eclipse, at the very front of the ship. I  was very surprised, and called the TA. She suggested being thrown back into the pool, and we eventually ended up in 1519, which we really liked. 

Edited by thebutlerdidit

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I was able to get my Aqua guarantee thrown back into the pool and get a new cabin reassigned. Aqua class was wide open, I called to book through a TA and within hours we were assigned 1502 on Eclipse, at the very front of the ship.  was very surprised, and called the TA. She suggested being thrown back into the pool, and we ended up in 1519, which we really liked. 

You weren't thrown back into the pool.  Your TA simply requested a different stateroom location and it was changed as they were still available in the sub-category in which you were originally assigned - Aqua to Aqua.  If she used those words they were a poor choice of words. 

Anyone can request a different location once their GTY stateroom is assigned based on availability within the sub-category assigned simply by calling whomever you booked through and they will confirm alternate locations from which to select.  It is done all the time and you don't "re-enter the pool".  I have done it several times directly.

• Like 1

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

You weren't thrown back into the pool.  Your TA simply requested a different stateroom location and it was changed as they were still available in the sub-category in which you were originally assigned - Aqua to Aqua.  If she used those words they were a poor choice of words.  

Anyone can request a different location once their GTY stateroom is assigned based on availability within the sub-category assigned simply by calling whomever you booked through and they will confirm alternate locations from which to select.  It is done all the time.

No, the reservation reverted to a guarantee and we weren’t allocated a cabin until months later. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

No, the reservation reverted to a guarantee and we weren’t allocated a cabin until months later. 

How did it revert?  I have changed GTY staterooms a number of times over the years and the way I've described it is how it was done.  And that was directly by me as well as through a TA, and the assignment to the new stateroom was immediate. No challenge, but I can only relay my direct experiences doing this a number of times as mentioned. As previously mentioned I just did it last month for an upcoming cruise.  Preferred a different location, made the contact, moved the stateroom.  

There is nothing more I can say about it.  If your experience was different, then it was different.

• Thanks 1

Yes people can have different experiences, especially with Celebrity.  I booked a GTY suite and was assigned a S2.  I called the Zenith shoreside concierge who I know had years of experience and asked to be assigned to a different S2.  He said if I wanted to change I had to pay to upgrade to S2 pricing (over $1k more).  Of course I argued I had done this before but he held firm as I had booked a GTY and you get what they assign you.  I hung up and called my TA when he was in the office on Monday and of course he was able to switch my room.

1 hour ago, Justwannacruis3 said:

Thank you all for your input. As I said, we are happy with the Magic Carpet suite…..and we did call to move our cabin location (the day after it was assigned) to a different location/deck. Looking forward to cruising soon!

We loved our MC suite on deck 9. We had an end room and our huge balcony had the traditional view as well as another view through a cutout looking aft. It was very nice!  

• Like 3

I have thought of doing a suite guarantee, but I would rather have a little more control over stateroom location.  I don't want under a buffet, pool deck, fitness center, or above the same.  Also don't want an AFT either.  Had a horrible experience on HAL and it ruined us on AFT:  Smelly, noisy, lots of vibrations and that was in a Neptune Suite, one suite down from the largest suite.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I have thought of doing a suite guarantee, but I would rather have a little more control over stateroom location.  I don't want under a buffet, pool deck, fitness center, or above the same.  Also don't want an AFT either.  Had a horrible experience on HAL and it ruined us on AFT:  Smelly, noisy, lots of vibrations and that was in a Neptune Suite, one suite down from the largest suite.

I personally love the aft on Celebrity,(sunset suites and sunset verandas)but would never do a guarantee again either; I like control of where I am located too.

4 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Once assigned the guarantee, you can change location 1 time (same class of cabin). We called and moved to a higher deck and end cabin in a set of 4 vs middle. We’ve enjoyed aft cabins on RCCL, Celebrity, and Norwegian…sorry you had a bad experience. 

Thanks to leavitallbehind for your insight regarding the Suite Guarentee.  Does the category/room assignment appear after Full payment?  We booked a few months ago for a Decmeber cruise Suite Guarantee but I am not seeing any assigned cabin.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

GO BIRDS!

On 8/16/2024 at 11:05 AM, Lastdance said:

I personally love the aft on Celebrity,(sunset suites and sunset verandas)but would never do a guarantee again either; I like control of where I am located too.

While the suite and balcony was very nice on our corner aft sky suite on beyond, I truly disliked it , just too far from both Luminae and indoor and outdoor retreat . 

1 hour ago, keylimecake said:

Thanks to leavitallbehind for your insight regarding the Suite Guarentee.  Does the category/room assignment appear after Full payment?  We booked a few months ago for a Decmeber cruise Suite Guarantee but I am not seeing any assigned cabin.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

GO BIRDS!

The cabin can be assigned at anytIme from the day after booking up until boarding.  

• Like 1