The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 16th, 2024

richwmn

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover again ( thankfully) but the promise of heat as the morning wears on. DH still has to pack, I’m 95% done. Have a few errands. Meant to add 2 days ago that the wine of the day, Daou’s Cab, is a favorite with us. I’m going to try to pick up a bottle in Boston to board with us.

@kazu lovely hydrangeas. The color is so intense.

A question please- on today’s port- what is the significance of the robes/capes? (Graduation, choir, Harry Potter, cultural???)
IMG_4586.jpeg.e3dbf3594786f2295898400313b1eae6.jpeg

IMG_4587.jpeg.ed443057f8a1e4d0d0b11b914136b3ae.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@MISTER 67 I had family that used to talk about The Bobs at old Riverview Park.  My first time on a rollercoaster was at a place that's long gone called Old Chicago, which was an indoor amusement park concept way ahead of its time.  

@StLouisCruisers Are you on a cruise or visiting family?  I've been having trouble figuring it out, but I think it's the latter.

@dfish Some friends taught me Farkle during the pandemic when everything was closed, I've since forgotten it though.

As usual, I'm enjoying everybody's pictures, most of which are places I won't see until I take my world cruise shortly after full retirement.  

Supposed to be another warm (by our standards) and sunny day, with enough marine layer this morning to add some humidity.  But the days are feeling shorter and I think there's a hint of fall in the air, the 65+ degree mornings have been less frequent. 

I have to get to the bank sometime today and I will probably finish the housework from yesterday freeing up the weekend. 

Have a nice day everyone!

• Like 29

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning from the Zuiderdam as we are just off the eastern coast of Greenland and will enter the Prins Christian Sund in about an hour. Captain Friso announced there is a huge iceberg, over a square mile in size nearby. 

Cruise Mapper showing Nieuw Statendam headed towards Iceland and several small expedition ships here as well. 

20240816_102008.jpg

20240816_101917.jpg

Sound like you will have better luck getting into Prins Christian Sund, then we did when we were on the Zuiderdam in 2018.🤠

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

As @atexsix said, there's a touch of fall in the air.  Cool mornings and evenings.  It will be mostly sunny today, low 70's.  Rain showers predicted in a few days!  We really need it. 

I salute and admire the Army Airborne (I could never do it), and roller coasters scare me to death so I avoid them like the plague.  I do like rum. 🙂  The quote is so true.  I had a few Bahama Mamas on our last cruise, will pass on the red wine, and would like the meal.  We love pesto.  We've been to Portugal but not this port, I've enjoyed everyone's photos, thanks to all.  That train station is amazing!

Today is our last full day with the grand-kitties, DD and family will be home tomorrow and pick them up.  It's been fun and a lot of laughs with their shenanigans, but also will be nice to get back to our "normal".  

DH and I got the 2nd raised bed set up in a good spot yesterday and I think I'll get it filled today with the soil before the rains start.  

Welcome home Elizabeth @Haljo1935!

Terry @smitty34877 Enjoy your visit with your DS and DGC -- so glad you have help this weekend.

Have a great Friday everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, atexsix said:

@MISTER 67 I had family that used to talk about The Bobs at old Riverview Park.  My first time on a rollercoaster was at a place that's long gone called Old Chicago, which was an indoor amusement park concept way ahead of its time.  

@StLouisCruisers Are you on a cruise or visiting family?  I've been having trouble figuring it out, but I think it's the latter.

@dfish Some friends taught me Farkle during the pandemic when everything was closed, I've since forgotten it though.

As usual, I'm enjoying everybody's pictures, most of which are places I won't see until I take my world cruise shortly after full retirement.  

Supposed to be another warm (by our standards) and sunny day, with enough marine layer this morning to add some humidity.  But the days are feeling shorter and I think there's a hint of fall in the air, the 65+ degree mornings have been less frequent. 

I have to get to the bank sometime today and I will probably finish the housework from yesterday freeing up the weekend. 

Bruno, we're in Frisco, TX with family.  DS and DDIL are being dropped at the airport right now by DH to fly to Singapore.  DH and I are staying with our DGS Ren because he's healing from a broken collarbone.  I've just picked him up from PT and he's showering so I can drop him off at high school.  He said the therapist would like him to begin driving again so once he texts his Dad and Mom to inform them, will probably begin driving himself again by Monday.  We will be here for another week and a half.  Got to keep him fed and safe during that time.  Easier said than done sometimes!  He said when he begins soccer workouts again they will have a no contact rule for him.  We need some extra large bubble wrap for this growing boy!!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bruno, we're in Frisco, TX with family.  DS and DDIL are being dropped at the airport right now by DH to fly to Singapore.  DH and I are staying with our DGS Ren because he's healing from a broken collarbone.  I've just picked him up from PT and he's showering so I can drop him off at high school.  He said the therapist would like him to begin driving again so once he texts his Dad and Mom to inform them, will probably begin driving himself again by Monday.  We will be here for another week and a half.  Got to keep him fed and safe during that time.  Easier said than done sometimes!  He said when he begins soccer workouts again they will have a no contact rule for him.  We need some extra large bubble wrap for this growing boy!!

Ah okay I get it.  And I know all about caregiving and it's challenges.  I have family in Ft. Worth and I once lived in Richardson for awhile which isn't all that far from Frisco.  Prayers for your family and hope everything works out as it should. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Since we are talking about Roller Coasters today, I'll mention two. When we first moved to Atlanta the Southeastern Fair and Exposition was in its hey day. I think it happened in late September, as we were in school but not for long. The big attraction was the Greyhound, a long, high, wooden Roller Coaster. I was a great ride. It was also featured in all three 'Smokey and the Bandit' movies and was destroyed (on purpose) during the filming of 'Smokey and the Bandit II'. All three films used Lakewood Fairgrounds for a location and were filmed in the Atlanta area.

The second coaster is the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags over GA.  For a short while the year the coaster opened I worked at Six Flags. One morning before the park opened there was a call over the PA system for volunteers to test the ride. I was close enough to get there and was one of the riders. As we finished the loop we only slowed down in the station and went around twice more before we finally stopped and went back to our regular jobs.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will reach ninety today and was already toasty when walking the doggies earlier.

We went once a year as a family to Playland in Rye NY and my oldest brother was always willing to ride the wooden Dragon Coaster with me. We took our children growing up and they always found it funny that I would be willing to go for several rides but dad was waiting on the bench. To each his own. I sometimes take the dogs to the beach there in the winter as they are allowed then. Good times.

DD DH and I were in the port and  took the river cruise and sherry tour. The couple we befriended were happy to take our sherry samples. It is such a lovely city and we greatly enjoyed it. Thanks to all for the pictures.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, prayers for your twin today as she has her shoulder surgery. Safe travels to DS and DDIL. I hope Ren enjoys his return to school.

School doesn’t start here until after Labor Day.

I recently watched an Apple TV series about the Airborne called “Masters of the Air” and found it compelling.

@summer slope, Dixie, so glad to read about your excellent results!

My DS arrives today with one of the DGC’s. It will be a surprise! They are staying until Monday morning and I was told to sit in a corner and read while they do the work. Ha ha. I already have chili on the stove for dinner tonight but will gladly defer to DS as he is a great cook. 

Terry, that is good news your DS and one of the DGC will be there to help this weekend.  I  hope you can take advantage of the extra help and get some rest and relaxation.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover again ( thankfully) but the promise of heat as the morning wears on. DH still has to pack, I’m 95% done. Have a few errands. Meant to add 2 days ago that the wine of the day, Daou’s Cab, is a favorite with us. I’m going to try to pick up a bottle in Boston to board with us.

@kazu lovely hydrangeas. The color is so intense.

A question please- on today’s port- what is the significance of the robes/capes? (Graduation, choir, Harry Potter, cultural???)

I'm not sure I have a good answer for your question, but I will add that the tour guides wear the cape and hat in the Sandeman logo when giving tours.  The other picture is not mine, and was not taken in front of the Sandeman building.  It looks it might have been taken in front of a church.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Since we are talking about Roller Coasters today, I'll mention two. When we first moved to Atlanta the Southeastern Fair and Exposition was in its hey day. I think it happened in late September, as we were in school but not for long. The big attraction was the Greyhound, a long, high, wooden Roller Coaster. I was a great ride. It was also featured in all three 'Smokey and the Bandit' movies and was destroyed (on purpose) during the filming of 'Smokey and the Bandit II'. All three films used Lakewood Fairgrounds for a location and were filmed in the Atlanta area.

The second coaster is the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags over GA.  For a short while the year the coaster opened I worked at Six Flags. One morning before the park opened there was a call over the PA system for volunteers to test the ride. I was close enough to get there and was one of the riders. As we finished the loop we only slowed down in the station and went around twice more before we finally stopped and went back to our regular jobs.

That would have been fun to test it for that length of time.

Anybody ever ride The Beast at King's Island outside Cincinnati?  I was terrified of it, but someone dragged me on with them.  

And then there was the New Revolution at Magic Mountain in California, I mainly remember it because they made a movie about it. 

• Like 22

42 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Ah okay I get it.  And I know all about caregiving and it's challenges.  I have family in Ft. Worth and I once lived in Richardson for awhile which isn't all that far from Frisco.  Prayers for your family and hope everything works out as it should. 

Thank you Bruno.  I know you are seriously aware of the challenges of watching over someone.  

I have a long time friend who lives not far from here, about 40 miles and once she and her DH are back home from spending time in Minnesota we plan on getting together.  She was vague as to the exact date they get back to Texas but it will be before we leave a week from Monday.  I haven't seen her in ages!

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

That would have been fun to test it for that length of time.

Anybody ever ride The Beast at King's Island outside Cincinnati?  I was terrified of it, but someone dragged me on with them.  

And then there was the New Revolution at Magic Mountain in California, I mainly remember it because they made a movie about it. 

I haven't but I bet my grandkids in Cincinnati have!  Years ago we went to Six Flags over Mid-America outside St. Louis and rode the roller coasters.  And of course, we went to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia quite a few times while living there.  I'm not afraid of them but try not to go too many times in one day.

• Like 21

Good morning and thanks all! Love roller coasters, the old clackety clack as you approached the top. 
@richwmn extra thanks about the suggestion to get your photos off an old hard drive, we may have to try that. 
@smitty34877 so glad you have back up this weekend!  Bless you!  
@cat shepard that wine sounds wonderful!  That is the chateau we visited in Bordeaux.  
@kazu hoping you get some well deserved rest soon!  Love the photo of you and Jose in Porto! And your beautiful blue hydrangea's, we can’t grow blue ones here.  

I’m enjoying all the beautiful photos of Porto,  an overnight stay was not enough.  Make sure to visit city hall.   We really enjoyed our visit to Sandeman’s.  I am reading that one can walk the Camino from Porto,  now if my knees would cooperate. 

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3069.jpeg

IMG_3068.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3061.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

IMG_3026.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

We have our almond Kenmore fridge we bought in 1987 - it's still running in the kitchen.  The ice maker gave out but that's been its only issue.

They don’t build them like they used to.

• Like 21

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

I remember Old Chicago in Bolingbrook in the southwest suburbs but there was nothing like Riverview Park with great rides like the Parachute Jump which was not only scary but sort of dangerous.

IMG_2011.jpeg.7c0247bb025030b487fa17dbfe9d5863.jpegIMG_2010.jpeg.7390df26d28a68aabf95031d0035c760.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Bruno.  I know you are seriously aware of the challenges of watching over someone.  

I have a long time friend who lives not far from here, about 40 miles and once she and her DH are back home from spending time in Minnesota we plan on getting together.  She was vague as to the exact date they get back to Texas but it will be before we leave a week from Monday.  I haven't seen her in ages!

I haven't but I bet my grandkids in Cincinnati have!  Years ago we went to Six Flags over Mid-America outside St. Louis and rode the roller coasters.  And of course, we went to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virginia quite a few times while living there.  I'm not afraid of them but try not to go too many times in one day.

I've been to Busch Gardens in Tampa, is that place even still there?  Haven't heard it mentioned in years.  Because of stroke history I have to be careful of any activity that could cause a spike in blood pressure, otherwise I might, MIGHT, give them a try.  And I don't mean these crazy contraptions they have of people standing up or hanging below the tracks.  It would have to be something pretty tame and a little more traditional, like Thunder Mountain at Disney World. 

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I remember Old Chicago in Bolingbrook in the southwest suburbs but there was nothing like Riverview Park with great rides like the Parachute Jump which was not only scary but sort of dangerous.

IMG_2011.jpeg.7c0247bb025030b487fa17dbfe9d5863.jpegIMG_2010.jpeg.7390df26d28a68aabf95031d0035c760.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

That parachute thing does not look very safe. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I believe that is my pic and yes, we were there at graduation time.

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

this spot is a winery.  I believe the statue if of Zorro. I don’t think  it appears on their labels now, but I believe it did at one time.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

@kazu hoping you get some well deserved rest soon!  Love the photo of you and Jose in Porto! And your beautiful blue hydrangea's,

we can’t grow blue ones here.  

Thanks Brenda, they start out as whitish, turn to pink and then Blue.  they bloom all summer.

The big white on stays white until later and turns pink.

Don’t ask if I am going to miss this. 😔 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, atexsix said:

That parachute thing does not look very safe. 

Well you jumped up on this padded rubber seat for 2 and with not much back support and immediately you felt like you were going to fall out on your back. As the Chute made it’s long ascent to the top you held on to the side bar to keep you in place, it felt like it took a long time to get to the top but we had a great view of the city up there.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I've been to Busch Gardens in Tampa, is that place even still there?  Haven't heard it mentioned in years.  Because of stroke history I have to be careful of any activity that could cause a spike in blood pressure, otherwise I might, MIGHT, give them a try.  And I don't mean these crazy contraptions they have of people standing up or hanging below the tracks.  It would have to be something pretty tame and a little more traditional, like Thunder Mountain at Disney World. 

I’m pretty sure it’s still open, the last coaster I went on was there and I believe I was around 63 and when I felt my brain moving around in my head, that was it, my roller coaster days were over.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Well, Iceland wasn't the best weather this Voyage of the Vikings, but Prins Christian Sund today has been as good as it gets.

20240816_143750.jpg

20240816_143959.jpg

20240816_144220.jpg

20240816_143055.jpg

20240816_140839.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, and glad you had such a clear, sunny day for the transit of Prins Christian Sund.

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

this spot is a winery.  I believe the statue if of Zorro. I don’t think  it appears on their labels now, but I believe it did at one time.

Jacqui, I just checked on the Total Wine site, and Sandeman still uses the caped figure on their bottles, but it's smaller or lighter on some.  I have to respectfully disagree with you about the figure.  Since Zorro was a Spanish Don in Mexico, and Sandeman is a Portuguese port, I doubt the figure is Zorro.  I found the following on line about the figure in the logo, and the blue background was in the post online.

"There are few more iconic images in the world of wine than the 'Don', the logo created for the Sandeman family in 1928 by George Massiot Brown. The cape was modelled on the attire worn by students of the University of Porto, while the wide-brimmed hat was a nod to the family's presence in Jerez."

Sandeman Port - Portugal - Dunells

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11

14 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s still open, the last coaster I went on was there and I believe I was around 63 and when I felt my brain moving around in my head, that was it, my roller coaster days were over.

I looked a number of years ago and it was still there, it had all new rollercoasters from when I was there in the early 80s, I remember a yellow coaster with a corkscrew, it stands out because it was the first time I'd ever seen loops like that.  I was not brave enough to try it. 

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Well you jumped up on this padded rubber seat for 2 and with not much back support and immediately you felt like you were going to fall out on your back. As the Chute made it’s long ascent to the top you held on to the side bar to keep you in place, it felt like it took a long time to get to the top but we had a great view of the city up there.

Sounds a little like an early version of that Edge thing, something else I was never willing to try. 

• Like 11