CABIN REASSIGNED

ebtrip

Just checked the 3 cabins I have on the Koningsdam for our family cruise in November. 
I had an extended balcony and my family was in the 2 adjacent cabins. We were all moved. Called my PCC he had no notification. Called back and said that my cabin was a quad and since we were a double they changed all our cabins and now I have a regular balcony. Spoke to a supervisor who stated that was their policy. I have sent a letter to the president of HAL. Very disappointed,  I have another cruise booked for next year and was told I may be relocated if they need the quad. This happen to anyone else. Do you get any compensation. Thanks

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I do not see HAL doing anything for any type of compensation and it is a risk booking a quad stateroom if you only have 2 passengers. I will say it is actually rare that you got moved but you must be on an extremely full sailing. Most of the time it works and you get to take the stateroom you selected. Which is better than what Royal Caribbean and Celebrity does. They will not even allow someone that is only 2 passengers to reserve a stateroom for 3 or 4 passengers. Even if it is just a few weeks before the sailing and there are plenty of quad staterooms but no more doubles in that area. They would rather not sell them in the first place.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Just checked the 3 cabins I have on the Koningsdam for our family cruise in November. 

I am guessing you are booked during Thanksgiving week when the ships are full with families, so the chances are greater that the quads will be in demand at that time.  Here is a thread which @crystalspin started on the topic:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your comments. I was not aware I was in a quad cabin.  I have been sailing for 40 years this has never happened to me. I’ve been upgraded but never moved without my consent. 

Edited by ebtrip
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Thanks for all your comments. I was not aware I was in a quad cabin.  I have been sailing for 40 years this has never happened to me. I’ve been upgraded but never moved without my consent. 

You may have made the booking before it became policy as the PCC’s are now required to warn people they may be moved.  On the bright side, the Koningsdam is a beautiful ship and all the rooms are lovely.  With three adjacent cabins, you will be able to have the partitions opened and then you will have one giant balcony!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You may have made the booking before it became policy as the PCC’s are now required to warn people they may be moved.  On the bright side, the Koningsdam is a beautiful ship and all the rooms are lovely.  With three adjacent cabins, you will be able to have the partitions opened and then you will have one giant balcony!

Thanks, I know we will have a great time anytime your with your grown kids for a week is fabulous. I have us booked in Club Orang and HIA. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ebtrip said:

Thanks, I know we will have a great time anytime your with your grown kids for a week is fabulous. I have us booked in Club Orang and HIA. 

You are so right!  And lucky you for the extra amenities!  You will have a fabulous time. 

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Unfortunately, I do not see HAL doing anything for any type of compensation and it is a risk booking a quad stateroom if you only have 2 passengers. I will say it is actually rare that you got moved but you must be on an extremely full sailing. Most of the time it works and you get to take the stateroom you selected. Which is better than what Royal Caribbean and Celebrity does. They will not even allow someone that is only 2 passengers to reserve a stateroom for 3 or 4 passengers. Even if it is just a few weeks before the sailing and there are plenty of quad staterooms but no more doubles in that area. They would rather not sell them in the first place.

I was not aware of this policy as it’s been 5 years since I sailed with HAL. We’ve enjoyed Viking Ocean for the past 3 years.Decided to go back to HAL and stay closer to home port. I would have preferred RCCL or X policy so no one is disappointed when booking 9 months in advance and not be told your cabins were moved before you depart. 

• Like 2

@ebtrip  As mentioned in post #6 - Is this November cruise during Thanksgiving holiday time?  I pick specific cabins for specific reasons but not during family vacation times.  Just curious.  Really hoping that our cabin for 2026 will not be changed.  Totally agree that vacation time with adult children is fabulous!!!!  Enjoy your cruise.  Cherie

4 minutes ago, cccole said:

@ebtrip  As mentioned in post #6 - Is this November cruise during Thanksgiving holiday time?  I pick specific cabins for specific reasons but not during family vacation times.  Just curious.  Really hoping that our cabin for 2026 will not be changed.  Totally agree that vacation time with adult children is fabulous!!!!  Enjoy your cruise.  Cherie

Yes it’s the Thanksgiving week. My daughter &SIL are teachers and my other daughter was born on Thanksgiving. We take the family on vacation every couple of years on the week of thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

I recently booked a cruise for October 2026 right when they came out. I travel solo. The cabin I wanted (one that was not a triple or quad) was not available. As I was upgrading from a VH to a V or VA with Club Orange the only cabins available were quads or triples. I told my TA that I didn't want any of them because I was afraid i would be moved. She assured me - after talking to HAL - that I wouldn't be moved. That the policy wasn't going to be enforced on that particular cruise.  We'll see. 

• Like 2

I booked an inside cabin as a single in a quad cabin about 5 months ago and had to confirm the policy of a possible cabin change. I really like the cabin and location so agreed to the policy but as an afterthought I thought about changing. Right now I’m just staying where I’m at and waiting. It’s a Westbound TA in November so I think the possibility of being moved is slim but it still bothers me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

Folks booking a quad with 4 guests love it.

The room is still crowded.   It’s hard to move around the stateroom when bed is extended and four sharing the bathroom must be a challenge.  Maybe it would be ok for a family of four with young children.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsailer said:

I recently booked a cruise for October 2026 right when they came out. I travel solo. The cabin I wanted (one that was not a triple or quad) was not available. As I was upgrading from a VH to a V or VA with Club Orange the only cabins available were quads or triples. I told my TA that I didn't want any of them because I was afraid i would be moved. She assured me - after talking to HAL - that I wouldn't be moved. That the policy wasn't going to be enforced on that particular cruise.  We'll see. 

Well I’ll talk to my PCC on Monday because I’m afraid that my 18 day R/T Hawaii cruise cabin will be changed as I was informed today that it is a quad cabin. This is absolutely ridiculous as I booked it 10 months ago. Don’t want to go back to Princess, and Celebrity doesn’t have a Hawaiian cruise r/t California this year. I might have to bit the bullet and spend the extra cash on Viking Ocean who does a fantastic job

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ebtrip said:

I had an extended balcony and my family was in the 2 adjacent cabins. We were all moved. Called my PCC he had no notification. Called back and said that my cabin was a quad and since we were a double they changed all our cabins and now I have a regular balcony. Spoke to a supervisor who stated that was their policy. I have sent a letter to the president of HAL. Very disappointed,  I have another cruise booked for next year and was told I may be relocated if they need the quad. This happen to anyone else. Do you get any compensation. Thanks

I have an extended balcony cabin for November 23.  I’ve had it booked for over a year.  It’s the only cabin (of 2) that I book on the Koningsdam and with the new policy in effect I’ve been thinking about cancelling before final payment.  Thanks for posting.  You made up my mind.  I’m cancelling.

If I can’t be assured of being in the stateroom I choose i would rather not cruise.  The policy of kids sail free means a family pays for two adults and with the children they are assigned the stateroom that you booked.  I don’t see how HAL benefits from this policy.

Edited by oaktreerb
wording
  • Like 4

I recently booked a 2026 Norway cruise on Rotterdam. I chose cabin # 7118 because it has a really large balcony. At the time I didn't notice that it's designated as a quad cabin. Should I be concerned that HAL will make me change it in the future for a party of 3 or 4?

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ebtrip said:

So you paid extra for Club Orange and HAL still moved you?  Wow.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I have an extended balcony cabin for November 23.  I’ve had it booked for over a year.  It’s the only cabin (of 2) that I book on the Koningsdam and with the new policy in effect I’ve been thinking about cancelling before final payment.  Thanks for posting.  You made up my mind.  I’m cancelling.

If I can’t be assured of being in the stateroom I choose i would rather not cruise.  The policy of kids sail free means a family pays for two adults and with the children they are assigned the stateroom that you booked.  I don’t see how HAL benefits from this policy.

I so agree.im on that sailing. At this point I would not disappoint my kids as one couple has 2 private scuba dives booked. My other daughter and SIL took their vacation time. I have paid for 3 cabins including  HIA and CO. I’m sure the ones who booked on July 31, who took my cabin did not pay what I did.  I may consider canceling my Hawaii cruise which was for my birthday which also includes HIA and CO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

It makes me nervous too because I book at the suite level as a solo.  But there are reports of similar bumping on Cunard and elsewhere, I guess it boils down to booking with whomever is less likely to do it.  

• Like 1