Does Crew Appreciation count towards spend for Mariners level?

I rarely spend on board, but regardless of the length of cruise, I've always gotten an extra point for spending, even for a 4-day cruise with $65 or so of gratuities. Most of my gratuities were also covered by OBC, and I still got the extra point. I wish they'd be generous like Celebrity/Royal for solos, since I get double cruise points as a solo on them, and double cruise credits on Princess, which got me to their Elite top level after 35 days of cruising. I'm nearly 4-star on HAL, which I want for avoiding the annoying workers in San Diego who try to enforce boarding times and tell me to come back in 4 hours. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tierun said:

New to HAL. Does pre cruise purchases count also, and is the credit given for every $300 in spending?

Welcome to HAL.

Yes, ALL pre-cruise and onboard purchases count. HAL is usually very generous in figuring the $300 per day. If you have HIA or a beverage package, they figure as if you had the max drinks at the max price.

Passengers 1 and 2 each receive credit for the total on the account.

44 minutes ago, happywandering said:

How about club orange?  Mariner points?  I need 14 points on my next nine day cruise.😍

Club Orange is No, but you will get double points if booked in a suite (not an upgrade/upsell) and we have always received extra points for having HIA.

56 minutes ago, happywandering said:

How about club orange?  Mariner points?  I need 14 points on my next nine day cruise.😍

Spending by all stateroom occupants counts toward spending $300/day to earn a point and all occupants earn the same points for the cruise. The easiest, and more cost effective way, might be to upgrade to a Vista Suite and you will receive 18 points for your nine-day cruise. 

Given not being in a suite, you will get one point for each day aboard which means you will receive nine points. 

With the HAL generous rounding-up policy, that means stateroom occupants need to spend another $1401 while onboard (Specialty Restaurants, spa, beverages, excursions, MDR lobster tail, unlimited laundry (8.50/day), crew appreciation ($17/p/p/day), Premium internet ($155 pre-order single device), wine, etc.) to earn the remaining five points.

Note that your Mariner category is effective on the cruise following the cruise when you earn sufficient points

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Welcome to HAL.

Yes, ALL pre-cruise and onboard purchases count. HAL is usually very generous in figuring the $300 per day. If you have HIA or a beverage package, they figure as if you had the max drinks at the max price.

Passengers 1 and 2 each receive credit for the total on the account.

Yes.  Using HIA we have received double points for every cruise.  Gets you to status much faster.

Just a note, so others don’t think it’s a given that HAL is generous with their rounding up.  I have never received generous mariner credits on any of my sailings.  I’ve even had to fight for some which weren’t given.  I used to be jealous when people stated they’d received all these extra credits.  Now I’m just derisive.  😜

On 8/20/2024 at 12:48 PM, *Miss G* said:

Just a note, so others don’t think it’s a given that HAL is generous with their rounding up.  I have never received generous mariner credits on any of my sailings.  I’ve even had to fight for some which weren’t given.  I used to be jealous when people stated they’d received all these extra credits.  Now I’m just derisive.  😜

We were not awarded the correct credits for our onboard spend on our Alaska cruise last month. I sent an email to the Mariner Society today asking them to recalculate the credit. My husband and I were each awarded 16 credits in total:
Cruise and Tour Days: 7 (correct)
Suite Bonus: 7 (correct)
Onboard Spending: 2 (this is too low by my calculations)

With a total onboard spend of $2327.25 and one day awarded for every $300 spent on board, I asked why we were awarded only 2 days for onboard spending? I’ll see how they reply. 

My own on calculations for onboard spending included not only the small itemized charges shown in our final onboard invoice, but also our larger pre-paid items: all 6 of our excursions, a premium 4-device wifi package and Club Orange — none of which were shown on the onboard invoice.

I’ve seen conflicting info on whether Club Orange is included in onboard spending based on the timing of its purchase — I will see what they say about that. But, I am not sure why the other items were excluded? 

Hoping to hear back from the Mariner Society soon. 

13 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

It would be interesting to hear the reply.  Your post made me take a look at my last PDF statement in Cruise History.  There are a number of charges on there for some unknown person so I have sent onboard billing an email.

I guess I will need to take a closer look at the credits for sailings for my sister and I.  I can only see the room charges which were in my name using my card. (Except for that guy named Delbert lol). I’ll need to have my sister go through her statements to see if we are both getting the room credits.  Sheesh.  No wonder the Mariner Society sometimes gets it wrong!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have never understood why anyone purchases artwork from Park West.  Now I understand; it's an alternate way to get extra mariner points by those in the know.  I need 20 points.....let's find something for $6000.  I guess that's also why there are jewelry shops on board....for those that need maybe 4 or 5 points.  

Edited by ghstudio

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2024 at 11:42 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

We were not awarded the correct credits for our onboard spend on our Alaska cruise last month. I sent an email to the Mariner Society today asking them to recalculate the credit. My husband and I were each awarded 16 credits in total:
Cruise and Tour Days: 7 (correct)
Suite Bonus: 7 (correct)
Onboard Spending: 2 (this is too low by my calculations)

With a total onboard spend of $2327.25 and one day awarded for every $300 spent on board, I asked why we were awarded only 2 days for onboard spending? I’ll see how they reply. 

My own on calculations for onboard spending included not only the small itemized charges shown in our final onboard invoice, but also our larger pre-paid items: all 6 of our excursions, a premium 4-device wifi package and Club Orange — none of which were shown on the onboard invoice.

I’ve seen conflicting info on whether Club Orange is included in onboard spending based on the timing of its purchase — I will see what they say about that. But, I am not sure why the other items were excluded? 

UPDATE … 2 WEEKS LATER:

I just received a reply email from the Mariner Society. Their explanation of how they got there doesn’t really make much sense, but I can see that my account now reflects the correct number of credits for our 7-day cruise. That’s all I really care about. 

Total Days 21 (corrected from 16):

Cruise and Tour Days: 7 
Suite Bonus: 7
Onboard Spending: 7 (corrected from 2)

Hopefully, my husband’s account has been corrected now as well. I’m glad that I double-checked HAL’s accounting and followed up to request the correction. It’s because of the helpful CC folks here that I spotted the mistake — thank you! 

• Like 1