Plastic zip ties to prevent reclining?

On 8/18/2024 at 10:08 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Multiple people on other social media sites have reported that Celebrity is now putting plastic zip ties on chairs to prevent them from reclining.

Wish it were possible to do that with airplane seats 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, shandryl said:

There are devices you can buy that will prevent the seat in front of you from declining.  
 Unfortunately the airlines look poorly upon you using them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

There are devices you can buy that will prevent the seat in front of you from declining.  

Those devices should only be used by people who agree to never recline their seat.  Ever.

11 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

A Pringle can placed on your tray table , will stop seat from moving reclining 

noticed that by accident on flight 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Those devices should only be used by people who agree to never recline their seat.  Ever.

I never recline my seat. Ever. And I give stink eye to those who do and can’t be blamed for constantly banging the back of the reclined seat because of a flare-up of restless leg syndrome. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shandryl said:

Airline seats recline for a reason…my seat reclines your seat reclines..just do it..it’s the same amount of room..

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Airline seats recline for a reason…my seat reclines your seat reclines..just do it..it’s the same amount of room..

I have never been able to work on my laptop or eat my meal when sitting in a reclined seat.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have never been able to work on my laptop or eat my meal when sitting in a reclined seat.  

Nobody makes you..I don’t fly to work or eat...book first class if you are on the job..FWIW, I usually fly Delta Comfort domestically…

Edited by PTC DAWG

37 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Nobody makes you..I don’t fly to work or eat...book first class if you are on the job..FWIW, I usually fly Delta Comfort domestically…

I am retired, multiple times, and fly mostly United.  But I am starting to fly more 1st class.  

BTW, when working, Economy is all my last company would let me book.  

On 8/19/2024 at 3:07 AM, markeb said:

...And why would the idiot in the cabin before you be traveling with zip ties?

Parents wanting to stop kids from playing with them.

On 8/19/2024 at 3:32 AM, NMTraveller said:

So if this IS a safety issue,  then why would Celebrity use such a temporary fix?  Zip ties break easily...  If this was for real I would think that they would weld or permanently connect the chair together.

Don't give them any ideas.

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

There would be no need for such devices if the person agrees to never recline.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I never recline my seat. Ever. And I give stink eye to those who do and can’t be blamed for constantly banging the back of the reclined seat because of a flare-up of restless leg syndrome. 

That's rude. Find an airline that doesn't have reclining seats. They recline for a reason. RLS doest make your leg jerk that much. 🙄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Don't give them any ideas.

There would be no need for such devices if the person agrees to never recline.

Some people have medical conditions that REQUIRE them to recline their seat.  So whose medical condition is more important?  The person in front or the person in back?

I wish the seats wouldn't recline so far back.   When the man in front of me reclined his seat, I could not get out and I m not a big person.   Or, you have food/drink on your tray and the person decides to recline. 

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Parents wanting to stop kids from playing with them.

Children can climb up on the railing of a balcony and fall.  Maybe that’s why we have more IVs?

1 minute ago, 1Virgo said:

I wish the seats wouldn't recline so far back.   When the man in front of me reclined his seat, I could not get out and I m not a big person.   Or, you have food/drink on your tray and the person decides to recline. 

All these problems with no solution.  Have you tried “pardon me….”?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

All these problems with no solution.  Have you tried “pardon me….”?

I did zitsky. I asked the gentleman if he would please put his seat up as I couldnt get out.   He was very annoyed and took a few minutes before he reluctantly put up his seat a bit.   I fly a lot and not first time I ve seen that happen. 

7 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I did zitsky. I asked the gentleman if he would please put his seat up as I couldnt get out.   He was very annoyed and took a few minutes before he reluctantly put up his seat a bit.   I fly a lot and not first time I ve seen that happen. 

Well you asked someone politely to move his seat and he….. did it?  I’m not sure where “reluctantly” comes in. Should he have promised to never recline his seat again?

Reclining is mandatory for some people.  I’ve experienced coming home with back pain from a bad airline seat.  Please don’t ask me to just sit there upright for 9 hours.  Don’t punish another passenger for a decision made by an airline CEO.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well you asked someone politely to move his seat and he….. did it?  I’m not sure where “reluctantly” comes in. Should he have promised to never recline his seat again?

Reclining is mandatory for some people.  I’ve experienced coming home with back pain from a bad airline seat.  Please don’t ask me to just sit there upright for 9 hours.  Don’t punish another passenger for a decision made by an airline CEO.

I m sure you have dealt with people and can tell when someone is “reluctant”.    One good way to judge, as in my case, was just how long he took before he put the seat up - not all the way, but just barely enough.  And as I mentioned, I am not a big person. 

And conversely, dont punish another person by totally reclining a seat confining their space.  Business or First class not always available 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I m sure you have dealt with people and can tell when someone is “reluctant”.    One good way to judge, as in my case, was just how long he took before he put the seat up - not all the way, but just barely enough.  And as I mentioned, I am not a big person. 

And conversely, dont punish another person by totally reclining a seat confining their space.  Business or First class not always available 

Actually I’ve never been a mind reader and I don’t appreciate people who think they are.  Maybe I hate you because you’re tall.  Maybe I hate you because you keep kicking my seat.  Maybe I hate you because you have the wrong sports team on your sweatshirt.  Maybe I hate you because I’m in pain and putting my seat up causes me more pain.

They put the seat “enough” for you to get out and you did.  So what else were you expecting?

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

I view Reclining seats as setting off a chain reaction.  The person reclines in front of you.  You need to recline for more space.  The person behind you then needs to recline.  etc.  etc.  It goes all the way to the poor person in the last row against the wall truly squished!  Ha Ha.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

I view Reclining seats as setting off a chain reaction.  The person reclines in front of you.  You need to recline for more space.  The person behind you then needs to recline.  etc.  etc.  It goes all the way to the poor person in the last row against the wall truly squished!  Ha Ha.😁

No that’s not correct.  Those brave souls that don’t believe in reclining their seats will stay upright because they care about the suffering of others…..  

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No that’s not correct.  Those brave souls that don’t believe in reclining their seats will stay upright because they care about the suffering of others…..  

Yeah in my chemistry days we used to call that stopping the chain reaction.🙂