Gelato on board

2 minutes ago, kelliebiz said:

At what venue do they charge for gelato?

At the Gelato Bar in the Lido pool area on Pinnacle class ships.  May be on others, but I don't know.

~Nancy

48 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

On vista ships I usually find gelato at the free ice cream station. It might not be listed but they may have it in their cooler.

Is that open 24 hours?

2 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

No - the Lido is not staffed 24 hours a day. 

Sue/WDW1972

Do they have the soft serve machines available 24 hours? I've only been on Carnival before, the ice cream was a big hit lol 

6 minutes ago, MommyAJ6 said:

Do they have the soft serve machines available 24 hours? I've only been on Carnival before, the ice cream was a big hit lol 

I've never seen soft serve on HAL (admittedly, with all the calories onboard I have not ever looked for it) but if they exist they're definitely not out where passengers could serve themselves.  Carnival is a whole different animal - leaning much more heavily to self-serve vs being served in a Lido/buffet setting.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

At the Gelato Bar in the Lido pool area on Pinnacle class ships.  May be on others, but I don't know.

~Nancy

thanks, I had no idea! Never noticed gelato with an up charge 

I asked the Mariner Society about the Mariner discount for the Gelato Bar.  They sent me a massive email, AI generated no doubt, outlining the Mariner Rewards. Seems they don't want to actually say that this discount is no longer available, just read it all and see for yourself. I wonder what is next on the chopping block for higher Mariners?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

So...what would the Mariner 25% discount amount to?  $1 or less?  Why worry about it?  Enjoy your cruise.  JMO.   Cherie

Used to receive half off the milkshakes, so a reasonable savings. It added up over 6 weeks on board 😉

55 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

milkshakes

One of the best reasons to have a drink package.  WARNING:  May add to weight gain on a cruise. 

• Haha 2

On 8/20/2024 at 11:15 AM, MommyAJ6 said:

Yes they do in the Lido at lunch time only, served at the Sweet Spot where they are dishing out the free ice-cream.

21 minutes ago, ski ww said:

You still pay for milk shakes even with a drinks package.

We did not pay with the Elite Beverage Package in December on the Nieuw Statendam nor in April on the Rotterdam. I even had the nice crew member make them extra thick.

I think it's kind of a foolish waste of space and labor to have a gelato bar when there's free scoop ice cream in the Lido. The only people I saw getting it were new cruisers who thought that was the only ice cream option. On Celebrity you get a free scoop of gelato at a certain level, but again, their scoop ice cream is free and has many flavors. On newer Princess ships, you can get the gelato for free in the MDR during lunch. To me, it's not a benefit if it's just a discount designed to spur spending, so I value things like free laundry for 4-star and above, or free drink coupons on Royal, or the free mini bar set up I get on Princess. 

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

I think it's kind of a foolish waste of space and labor to have a gelato bar when there's free scoop ice cream in the Lido...so I value things like free laundry for 4-star and above, or free drink coupons on Royal, or the free mini bar set up I get on Princess. 

Gelato and ice cream are not the same.

Free ice cream in Lido has limited flavor options;  gelato bar has several flavor options.

Some people value things they enjoy, such as a selection of flavors of gelato 🤔 

• Like 4

On 8/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, SilvertoGold said:

I asked the Mariner Society about the Mariner discount for the Gelato Bar.  They sent me a massive email, AI generated no doubt, outlining the Mariner Rewards. Seems they don't want to actually say that this discount is no longer available, just read it all and see for yourself. I wonder what is next on the chopping block for higher Mariners?

RCL once tried to lower benefits & there was a customer revolution . Seems to me all HAL & CCL corp want to do is raise cruise prices & provide less   for the money .Thus less value  . We tolerated them not having main sjowroom shows but when they nickel  &  dime things ,that is over the top . 

We paid for Gelato last tome on  Kdam & imo it was not all that good .We have had Gelato in Italy  to make comparisons 

• Haha 1