Price increase on Gratuities

doklea

16 hours ago, wallyj said:

Per category, Inside/Oceanview’s are currently $16/day going to $17, likewise each higher category is increasing by $1/day.

According to Princess FAQ, the current gratuities are: 

Suites $19 USD USD per person per day

Mini Suites, Cabanas, and Club Class $18 USD USD per person per day

All other stateroom types $17 USD USD per person per day

I also see a sum amounting to 17$pp day when I go to "Crew Appreciation pre-payment" in the Cruise Personalizer. So either the planned increase to 17$ already happened or a further increase to 18$ will happen at the end of the month. 

In any case, since my cruise is only a month away, I will prepay the CA now in case it goes up. 

Cruzsnooze, such a heavily debated topic those tips. You are generous at cutting tips to 10 bucks a day per person. We eliminate totally upon boarding. When we get good service we reward with cash directly to that person. Someone in posts mentioned some of the tips go to guest services.  Well that is nuts. On every ship when we encounter an issue, guest services are basically useless.  Yes  the room stewards do know when tips are eliminated at start of cruise and guess what they actually work harder for you. Good service deserves a reward. The supervisor is informed of reduction or elimination. We are up font. We do not wait for last day to remove tips. Our last cruise our cabin was filthy upon embarkation. That room steward obviously did not do his job. I suggest cruise lines pay staff better and increase fares by 100 per person across board and say tips are now part of of the cruise fare. Case closed.  Princess can stuff their coffers with the difference.  I barely drink alcohol, my husband does not drink alcohol  pop or sugary juices or coffee. Wifi not necessary for us as we buy a foreign sim card and have internet upon arrival in all the ports. People are so connected today. What happened to Princess motto of escaping completely.  Princess knows that so many passengers are addicted to their technology and you will see those packages start to increase yet again for their new even better wifi that wll be rolled out shortly.  Just adding my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Cruzsnooze, such a heavily debated topic those tips. You are generous at cutting tips to 10 bucks a day per person. We eliminate totally upon boarding. When we get good service we reward with cash directly to that person. Someone in posts mentioned some of the tips go to guest services.  Well that is nuts. On every ship when we encounter an issue, guest services are basically useless.  Yes  the room stewards do know when tips are eliminated at start of cruise and guess what they actually work harder for you. Good service deserves a reward. The supervisor is informed of reduction or elimination. We are up font. We do not wait for last day to remove tips. Our last cruise our cabin was filthy upon embarkation. That room steward obviously did not do his job. I suggest cruise lines pay staff better and increase fares by 100 per person across board and say tips are now part of of the cruise fare. Case closed.  Princess can stuff their coffers with the difference.  I barely drink alcohol, my husband does not drink alcohol  pop or sugary juices or coffee. Wifi not necessary for us as we buy a foreign sim card and have internet upon arrival in all the ports. People are so connected today. What happened to Princess motto of escaping completely.  Princess knows that so many passengers are addicted to their technology and you will see those packages start to increase yet again for their new even better wifi that wll be rolled out shortly.  Just adding my opinion.

tlcr, sorry

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Teechur said:

What does this mean? Even Google didn't know.

I figured something like:  Too Little Can't Read.

If so, I don't think voljeep should feel 'sorry'; didn't miss much.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

2 minutes ago, Teechur said:

sorry - my old eyes, even with glasses

too little, can't read

why was that font/size even used?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

sorry - my old eyes, even with glasses

too little, can't read

why was that font/size even used?

Practicing for writing on the head of a pin? 🤷‍♂️ I agree, it was ridiculously small. Perhaps out of embarrassment for the contents?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just add the gratuities to the price of the cruise. This way everyone pays their fair share. If someone wishes to pay more for special service they can tip more as they see fit. If your not getting the service you expect seek out the department manager to correct the situation.

My mother in law contracted covid 2 years ago at the age of 97 while we were on a cruise   We were glad to have email to stay in touch with her, family and her doctors via email

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pink845 said:

They would not increase fares by $100, they would at a minimum increase the same amount as the current CA. After all those funds go to the crew so their salaries would need to go up by the same amount.

However in doing so passengers would lose out on a couple of benefits they have under the current system. CA (if a package is not purchased with fare) can be paid at the end of the cruise, if part of fare it would need to be paid 90 days in advance. Now it is not part of cost basis for travel insurance, if part of fare it would. Since travel insurance run around 5% or more on the base costs obe insurance would go up about $1 per day.

Those that choose to cut or cancel would also lose their ability to do so.

The current system provides the cruise line with risk management benefits. Since CA is not part of salary and since it is based upon number of passengers, if the cruiselines experience a drop in passengers due to some event (swine flu, war, etc) it self regulates their payroll  risk to a degree. If they went to everything as salary they would have increased risk in such a situation. Risk they might have to plan for in othet ways. Ways that might mean even higher costs or reduced staffing.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

For anyone who has actual experience pre-paying (not via a package) and then had the amount increased, if I pre-pay now, am I truly pre-paid in full or am I essentially just buying $16/day of OBC that will be worked off against the $17/day I'll be charged on my cruise leaving a net $1/day to be paid on the cruise?

1 minute ago, lstone19 said:

For anyone who has actual experience pre-paying (not via a package) and then had the amount increased, if I pre-pay now, am I truly pre-paid in full or am I essentially just buying $16/day of OBC that will be worked off against the $17/day I'll be charged on my cruise leaving a net $1/day to be paid on the cruise?

I usually have standard fare and pre pay online in the personalizer- no additional charges after I paid.  It is just easier to be done with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dog said:

I usually have standard fare and pre pay online in the personalizer- no additional charges after I paid.  It is just easier to be done with it.

But did the rate ever go up between when you prepaid and your cruise?

For some reason my auto-grats are always $100 every 7-day cruise on every ship. More on longer itineraries, less on the shorter cruises.  Sometimes individuals get something extra. I'm happy to pay it to show my appreciation.  I'm not sure why some get upset at all the nickel-and-diming.  You don't actually have to pay what corporate says.

1 hour ago, lstone19 said:

Great question and hope someone knows the answer.  I have 3 upcoming cruises where I have prepaid the tips on all 3.  One this year, then 2025 and 2026.  My 2024 cruise is in November, so after any expected gratuity increase.  Hope we aren’t charged for the difference.  

2 hours ago, Therese S. said:

Great question and hope someone knows the answer.  I have 3 upcoming cruises where I have prepaid the tips on all 3.  One this year, then 2025 and 2026.  My 2024 cruise is in November, so after any expected gratuity increase.  Hope we aren’t charged for the difference.  

Usually when you prepay that locks in the rate for that cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, lstone19 said:

But did the rate ever go up between when you prepaid and your cruise?

No, never had anything increase after I prepaid: excursions, specialty dining or CA.

Edited by dog

This is from the Princess website as of today.  Interesting that is has "all other staterooms" paying the same price as suites. Not sure this reflects the price increase or will it be going up next week.

Crew Appreciation and Service Charge Policy

The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below: 

Stateroom Category Daily amount per guest
Suites $19.00 USD per person per day
Mini Suites, Cabanas, and Club Class $18.00 USD per person per day
All other stateroom types $19.00 USD per person per day

Amounts shown above are in USD. For ships operating in AUD, guests will pay the equivalent of the USD amounts above.

Guests have complete discretion to adjust these crew appreciation while onboard; however, crew appreciation may only be adjusted prior to disembarking the ship and not refundable post cruise.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, farjar said:

This is from the Princess website as of today.  Interesting that is has "all other staterooms" paying the same price as suites. Not sure this reflects the price increase or will it be going up next week.

The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below: 

Amounts shown above are in USD. For ships operating in AUD, guests will pay the equivalent of the USD amounts above.

Guests have complete discretion to adjust these crew appreciation while onboard; however, crew appreciation may only be adjusted prior to disembarking the ship and not refundable post cruise.

I suspect that may be an error. All other should be the lowest.

26 minutes ago, farjar said:

The website is showing $19, $18 and $17 when I checked, just now.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was shown incorrectly.

(Perhaps we should start a thread to discuss the mistakes and inconsistencies on the website.)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Perhaps we should start a thread to discuss the mistakes and inconsistencies on the website.)

Along with the Princess App..... Oh, wait!!

Edited by d9704011
  • Haha 1

This USA Today article has details on the CA increases, staggered implementation dates & how they are distributed fleetwide.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/passengers-will-soon-pay-more-for-a-princess-cruise-here-s-why/ar-AA1pt6wC?ocid=socialshare&cvid=839979712fa9438db6c21ce47e779b6d&ei=18

The cruise line is raising its crew appreciation charge starting later this month. Passengers booked in suites will pay $19 per person, per day, up from $18, while fees for guests in mini suites, cabanas and Club Class accommodations will increase from $17 to $18. For guests in all other staterooms, the charge will jump from $16 to $17.

The increase will roll out to its fleet on the same schedule as updates to the line’s Princess Premier package, according to a spokesperson:

Enchanted Princess on Aug. 31

Majestic Princess and Sky Princess on Sept. 1

Crown Princess on Sept. 2

Ruby Princess on Sept. 3

Grand Princess on Sept. 4

Emerald Princess, Discovery Princess and Sun Princess on Sept. 7

Caribbean Princess and Regal Princess on Sept. 12

Royal Princess and Sapphire Princess on Sept. 14

Island Princess on Sept. 25

Diamond Princess on Sept. 26

Coral Princess on Oct. 17

• Like 1