The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 23rd, 2024

richwmn

Posted (edited)

Today is Cuban Sandwich Day, Ride the Wind Day, and Find Your Inner Nerd Day

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. - Abraham Lincoln

Meal Suggestion for today - Shish Tawook Recipe - Middle Eastern Chicken Kabobs
Drink of the Day - Dirty Shirley
Wine of the Day - Pride Mountain 2021 Chardonnay (Napa Valley)
Destination of the Day - Prince Rupert, Kaien Island, BC Canada

Today in History:
1305 Scottish patriot William Wallace is executed for high treason by Edward I of England at Smithfield, London
1966 First Photograph of the Earth Taken From the Orbit of the Moon

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Victoria, BC, Canada   1900-2300  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 08-24  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer
South Queensbury, GB      

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Oosterdam --- 7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise
Rhodes, Greece   0000-0000  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   eta 08-24  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0800-1800  

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy
Ketchikan, Alaska   0700-1300  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  1000-1030
1330-2200

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings
At Sea Destination Boston, Massachusetts   eta 08-24

0824Alaska.png

0824Atlantic.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 31

Today’s Care List:

Heartgrove’s DSIL post surgery yesterday for tri-malleolar ankle fracture

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie post breast surgery

Vict0riann’s DH Pat hospitalized with viral pneumonia

Vict0riann seeing her Oncologist today

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Kazu post vascular surgery with continued pain

Ottahand7’s DB Nick post re-do knee replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Vict0riann (Ann)!

Happy Birthday to AroundWithMapTravels (Melanie)!

Kazu accepting an offer on her house

NextOne doing well post hip surgery

Doobieb’s friend Leesa post breast cancer surgery, not needing further treatment

Lazey1’s DS Tony making slow improvement

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

1 day for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

1 day for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

2 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

2 days for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway, TiogaCruiser (Volendam to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery, Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Aug 31) 9d Canada/New England and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 32

Good morning friends!  It’s 82F now so rather warm but hold on – it will rise to about 102 today!  Sunshine of course.  DS’s plane leaves Singapore in about 3 hours so he will be arriving here in Texas 24 hours later.  It will be good to see him.  DDIL stays on as she has things to do still.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  It would be a nice day for a Cuban sandwich, and to find your inner nerd but I doubt either of those things happen.  I'm sure DS will be riding the wind today but I won't be.  I like Abe’s quote, and would enjoy seeing the chicken kabob recipes.  I don’t know about drinking a Dirty Shirley and generally don’t drink Chardonnays.  I prefer other white wines.  How exciting about the first photo of planet Earth in 1966.  What a shame about William Wallace being executed.  It caused an uprising in Scotland from what I’ve read.  Thanks for bring these things to our attention Rich.  And thank you Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers again today for DB, twin sister, DD, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our men and women of the military in the war zones.  Special prayers for our Care list individuals including Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Ann and Pat, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB, Jack's DSIL, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Roy, Jane’s DS, Dixie, Terri and Jim, and Vanessa. Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyVfor her hard work on the lists every day even with health issues.

The port today is Prince Rupert, Kaien Island, BC Canada.  We’ve seen that port here once before on April 14, 2023.  If all goes as planned I will visit there for the first time next summer.  Here is the link, and I hope someone has photos today to share.

Hope you all enjoy your Friday.  Please stay safe and keep well.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Good morning All,

We have a cloudy day with some open skies to the east. Captain announced last night we will dock closer to 9:30 as there is a pilot shortage in Halifax now. So our day will just start and end later. We’re taking a HAL Shorex to Peggy’s Cove and Mahone Bay/Lunenberg?

Will read the Daily later and report back.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, EVA, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D   I like all 3 of today’s days..   Special prayers for Ann, Pat Melissa, Chuck, Annie and Tana with  Annie and Chuck at the top of the list.  Happy Birthday Ann and Melanie.

I like the Lincoln quote.

II visited Prince Rupert twice, 1995 and 2010, both times arriving on VIA Rail’s Skena and leaving on a ferry..

A sad day in Scottish history but a happy one in space exploration..

The meal sounds interesting.  I’ll hold off on my alternative for a few days to shorten the summer hiatus.

PT this morning followed by my weekly visit to Wegmans..

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's a beautiful morning here today with a temperature of 63 degrees and a forecasted high of 83. We will enjoy it while we can because it will be back in the mid 90s on Monday.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend! 

IMG_1033.JPG

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Dirty Shirley cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 oz. Vodka
1/3 cup lemon-lime soda
1 tablespoon grenadine syrup
1 maraschino cherry

Directions:

Fill a highball glass with ice. Add vodka, soda, and grenadine and stir. Top with a cherry and serve immediately.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 6.47.43 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

Good afternoon and thank you for today's daily reports.

It is very windy,61°F and partly sunny here.

Being tactful is always best but sometimes if someone wants to argue it's best to just walk away.

I will pass on everything else unfortunately.

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy and happy day.

Screenshot_20240823_114714.jpg

Screenshot_20240823_114733.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning and Good Day!!

Thank you for the time and the care of the Dailys and Reports!!!

As for the Celebrations of the Day:  I've never been to Cuba, but had a Cuban Sandwich in Miami and was not impressed.  I found it dry and not satisfying -- I am hoping it wasn't as authentic as it could have been and in the recipes, I'll learn they are flavorful and enjoyable!!!  (WAIT -- this isn't the meal, so there will be no recipes...  MAYBE I should look for some!)

Ride the wind...  "Hang on Toto, we're going for a ride"!!!

And...  sometimes my inner nerd is quite apparent!

God Bless Abe...  His tact is a skill I wish I possessed always!!!

Kabobs -- mmmmm...

Dirty Shirley????  poor, Shirley!

Chardonnay, yes please!

BC...  Yep, but not to this Island!!

• Like 35

OK -- I looked up a FIVE STAR, highly complimented Cubano Sandwich recipe...  

This one did look tasty!!

A Cuban sandwich sliced in half with the two halves stacked on each other on a plate.

Easy Cuban Sandwich
The delicious Easy Cuban Sandwich is layered with two kinds of pork, loads of melted swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard. Toasted in butter and pressed to perfection, this is one ultimate sandwich for pork lovers.
Prep Time
20minutes mins
Cook Time
40minutes mins
Total Time
1hour hr
Course: lunch, Main CourseCuisine: CubanKeyword: Cuban, Cuban Sandwich Recipe, easy, sandwich Servings: 8 Sandwiches Author: Alyssa Rivers
Ingredients
Pork Tenderloin
1 pound pork tenderloin
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Sandwich
2 loaves Cuban bread (Italian bread will also work)

1 pound Swiss cheese sliced
1 pound smoked ham sliced
1 cup dill pickles sliced
1/4 cup mustard
2 tablespoons butter

Instructions
Pork Tenderloin
Preheat the oven to 375º Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Place the pork tenderloin on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork.
Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145º Fahrenheit. Thinly slice the meat and set aside.
Sandwich
Slice each loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then cut it into four equal parts.
Begin layering the ingredients by adding half of the cheese to the bottom layer of the sandwich bread. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Place the remaining cheese on top. Spread mustard on the top piece of bread and place on the sandwich.
Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted flip the sandwich and repeat.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report. Mona got me out of bed earlier than usual, I’m sure she’ll entice me for a nap later. 😆 It will be a beautiful day here for @dfish and @Sharon in AZ to arrive and enjoy Boston.  Tomorrow promises to be a lovely day for sail away.  I have project going live while I’m away so finishing touches will be completed today, assuming the customer cooperates.  Today’s chores, other than work, include laundry and making sure the house is presentable for the pet sitter.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 39

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another cool morning, only 9C (48F).  Brrr.   It's sunny so it should warm up this afternoon.🤞

I've never had a Cuban sandwich, I don't think I'll ride the wind, I don't think I'm a nerd.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I guess a Dirty Shirley is a spiked Shirley Temple, maybe I'll try one.  I'll try the wine too.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Dirty Shirley cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 oz. Vodka
1/3 cup lemon-lime soda
1 tablespoon grenadine syrup
1 maraschino cherry

Directions:

Fill a highball glass with ice. Add vodka, soda, and grenadine and stir. Top with a cherry and serve immediately.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 6.47.43 AM.png

I will not have this drink until Shirley cleans up her act! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 18

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa & our F & B team.

Yum on Cuban Sandwich day.  I remember thinking I could ride the wind when I was much younger.  Meal sounds tasty and YAY on Chardonnay.  

Thanks for the support on my FCL vent.  I do appreciate it.  Spent too much time trying to take care of moving stuff yesterday.  It was kind of one step forward two step back series of calls.  LOL.

Too many appointments on this rainy day but at least they will mostly be caught up after last week’s showings taking up all the time.  thinkin of @Vict0riannwith her appointment today 🙏

Prayers for those on the Care list & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating & cruising 🥂 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 Veendam New England/Canada cruise.  On August 23 we visited Portland, our last port before returning to Boston.

dawn0902.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

Good Morning and Good Day!!

Thank you for the time and the care of the Dailys and Reports!!!

As for the Celebrations of the Day:  I've never been to Cuba, but had a Cuban Sandwich in Miami and was not impressed.  I found it dry and not satisfying -- I am hoping it wasn't as authentic as it could have been and in the recipes, I'll learn they are flavorful and enjoyable!!!  (WAIT -- this isn't the meal, so there will be no recipes...  MAYBE I should look for some!)

Ride the wind...  "Hang on Toto, we're going for a ride"!!!

And...  sometimes my inner nerd is quite apparent!

God Bless Abe...  His tact is a skill I wish I possessed always!!!

Kabobs -- mmmmm...

Dirty Shirley????  poor, Shirley!

Chardonnay, yes please!

BC...  Yep, but not to this Island!!

I can tell you did not go to the right place in Miami to have a Cuban sandwich. I have never had a bad one in Miami! Let me know when you are in Miami again and I can give you recommendations.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2