Specialty Dining

KC Cruiser 54

Our first Azamara too, we're in an N1 for 12 days. Is my understanding correct that we request all of our  reservations once we board? How many can we book during that time?

37 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

Our first Azamara too, we're in an N1 for 12 days. Is my understanding correct that we request all of our  reservations once we board? How many can we book during that time?

Yes you are correct booking onboard only and there is no limit on how many visits you make. 

4 hours ago, cayman09 said:

12 - one for each night.

• Like 2

So…..if in a CC Suite,

I will admit I have a hard time taking up too much time on the first few hrs of boarding to book specialty restaurants.  I feel like there is a long line behind me and I need to hurry up!  I will say I come all organized and ready with my dates!  Our next cruise is 16 nights!
I may  want to book quite a few nights and we are entitled to it, because we booked a CC suite, but I am very cognizant of the people behind me! 
It’s going to be a struggle, for me, to get over that!

I wish Azamara could come up with a different system.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Be careful what you wish for.  The possible 'solutions' include restricting everybody to 1 or 2 pre-cruise bookings, and charging a 'nominal' fee.  Every cruise line I follow on CC has people wanting to switch from that cruise line's method to a different one, that people who have that one don't like either...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Be careful what you wish for.  The possible 'solutions' include restricting everybody to 1 or 2 pre-cruise bookings, and charging a 'nominal' fee.  Every cruise line I follow on CC has people wanting to switch from that cruise line's method to a different one, that people who have that one don't like either...

Right.  On Regent I was up at midnight scrambling to make my one allowed reservation after those in bigger suites got to make theirs first.  Luxury?  I don't think so.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Right.  On Regent I was up at midnight scrambling to make my one allowed reservation after those in bigger suites got to make theirs first.  Luxury?  I don't think so.

Agree I had the same on Viking. The solution is easy and doesn’t need a big change - Azamara should better resource the booking desk on embarkation eg maybe have 2 terminals at each desk, staff on it should always know how to use it and a manager should help them “move on” dithering guests. Like others I always come with a list, some come not knowing which restaurant or day they want which slows it down. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In the past they have had a couple of places where you could book. The second 5one has been in a variety of places, such as Discoveries Bar, The Den etc. On our last couple of cruises there was only the one.

Three stations on deck 9 portside near pool (Onward August 22).

36 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Three stations on deck 9 portside near pool (Onward August 22).

Only one both trips Spring 2024 plus staff not experienced in using the terminals on one occasion and guests unfamiliar with product on the other. Three would certainly be a big help 

• Like 3

So if boarding early in the process how bad is the line? What's the usual wait? I'm concerned with standing more than the time it takes due to bad knees & back.

10 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

So if boarding early in the process how bad is the line? What's the usual wait? I'm concerned with standing more than the time it takes due to bad knees & back.

I've never seen a line, must admit. If you do have to wait at all then they'll get you a chair to sit on. Just ask and they will do all they can to make you comfortable. 

Phil 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

I have seen long lines.

Time really depends on the cruise. Could be quick or could be early depending on

• number of stations and staff available 
  • how knowledgeable staff is and ability to troubleshoot. Some can be slow. 
  • how fast guests select.  Some can be slow. 

You don't control the above factors but you can control how long it takes you to select your dates AND times.  I suggest you pre-prepare a spreadsheet or calendar or just a simple list, day-by-day.  It helps to also have a list of your excursions or activities each day.  You may not know when White Night is but the staff will give you potential dates when you board. 

if you have a mobility issue and you are in a suite, ask your butler to book for you or as above poster suggests, tell them to bring you a chair.  

Edited by Dynacruiser
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Agree I had the same on Viking. The solution is easy and doesn’t need a big change - Azamara should better resource the booking desk on embarkation eg maybe have 2 terminals at each desk, staff on it should always know how to use it and a manager should help them “move on” dithering guests. Like others I always come with a list, some come not knowing which restaurant or day they want which slows it down. 

Fully agree with all your points, but particularly how slow or unprepared some staff can be.   They should put their sharpest staff here. 

One time one staff did not have access to a laptop, didn’t have great command of English, and was taking the info by hand and couldn’t even read their own hand writing afterwards. I suspect that was a last-minute, emergency add on   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

I have waited up to 20 minutes in line but they had seats so as Phil says they do everything to make it comfortable. 

And another thing for returning cruisers, don’t use your desk time to chat to crew about how they are, what colleagues are onboard, how is their family. There is plenty time for that after day one 

• Like 5

We've been cruising with Aza since 2010, crowded cruises, empty cruises. Reservations have NEVER been a problem. Well, maybe once they were. Our problem is NOT making reservations on nights when the MDR has a specific international item. The MDR veal schnitzel always beats out Prime C, and the Zagreb is a close second. Mexican night is always a great time to retreat upstairs. As long as you have your dates set, reservations are NOT going to be an issue, as I like to say, if you have to fret about something, worry about getting to the ship on time. OBTW, the special offer of 1 __________ every 7 night cruise works with the free bag of laundry. Major pain in the you know where on a 12 or 13 night cruise. Have a great trip, I won't ruin it with my opinion of P category bookings.

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've never seen a line, must admit. If you do have to wait at all then they'll get you a chair to sit on. Just ask and they will do all they can to make you comfortable. 

Phil 

I'm with you, never had a problem booking the specialties. On that note, I'm certain you'll be able to answer the question as to how you can speed the process on a B2B cruise. Is it as simple as booking at the specialty restaurant desk next to the bar in the buffet restaurant on departure/boarding morning? Or just keeping an eye out onboard for when the process commences for the new cruise?

TIA

46 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I'm with you, never had a problem booking the specialties. On that note, I'm certain you'll be able to answer the question as to how you can speed the process on a B2B cruise. Is it as simple as booking at the specialty restaurant desk next to the bar in the buffet restaurant on departure/boarding morning? Or just keeping an eye out onboard for when the process commences for the new cruise?

TIA

B2B cruisers can book specialty restaurants at the B2B meeting normally held the day prior to the second cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In the past they have had a couple of places where you could book. The second one has been in a variety of places, such as Discoveries Bar, The Den etc. On our last couple of cruises there was only the one.

We have seen them set up a table in the check in room.  Now that was when they were just restarting after Covid so it may have been a one time thing.

12 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

So…..if in a CC Suite,

I will admit I have a hard time taking up too much time on the first few hrs of boarding to book specialty restaurants.  I feel like there is a long line behind me and I need to hurry up!  I will say I come all organized and ready with my dates!  Our next cruise is 16 nights!
I may  want to book quite a few nights and we are entitled to it, because we booked a CC suite, but I am very cognizant of the people behind me! 
It’s going to be a struggle, for me, to get over that!

We have never found the specialty menu broad enough to want to eat there more than once or twice a week even when in a suite.  I do go off menu sometimes in AQ and get chicken parm which they do quite well.  Of course we order that in advance.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, uktog said:

Only one both trips Spring 2024 plus staff not experienced in using the terminals on one occasion and guests unfamiliar with product on the other. Three would certainly be a big help 

We have encountered situations like this where there was only one person doing the bookings!  Then a second person arrived but wasn’t familiar with how to book people and then the other had to stop and help the other one…..and the line grew and grew.  I have only ever found one location taking the bookings post Covid.  More locations to book would be good.  

In the old days there used to be a lesser known way to book by going upstairs to a specialty restaurant….rarely was there a line up there.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 2

There also used to be a desk set up or a staff member available in the terminal before boarding who was taking reservations for specialties, but I have not seen that available post Covid, either.  

Rather than change the system, I guess I would just like to see more staff available to take reservations on embarkation.

• Like 3