Free airfare question

Breckski

We've never used Viking Air.  Simply like to be in charge of our own arrangements.

However, we're looking at a cruise with included airfare.  Assuming we arrive a couple of days early and stay a couple of days post cruise, what would the fees be.

From reading here on CC, my understanding is that it'd be $1,000 for the two of us.  Four deviation fees ($100ea) and four Air Plus fees ($150ea).  Can someone let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Breckski said:

We've never used Viking Air.  Simply like to be in charge of our own arrangements.

However, we're looking at a cruise with included airfare.  Assuming we arrive a couple of days early and stay a couple of days post cruise, what would the fees be.

From reading here on CC, my understanding is that it'd be $1,000 for the two of us.  Four deviation fees ($100ea) and four Air Plus fees ($150ea).  Can someone let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks.

Deviation cost is one fee (applies whether you come early, stay late, or both) per person.  Lately I've seen it as $150 but there might well be some itineraries that it's only $100.  AirPlus is $150.

FYI - it isn't so much the $$ cost for free air, as it is the other non-dollar costs you will need to understand and factor into your decision.  And those are why we've given up on Viking Air and control it ourselves.  There are SO many posts discussing this with pros and cons, all valid, for using or not using Viking Air (even with AirPlus).  Only you can decide.

Factors to consider: 

-what airport you fly out of and then into.  If you are going non-stop from say New York to Europe, might be OK.  If you are going a route that may require multiple connections, or from small commuter airports, you might be in trouble.   

-Whether you are a seasoned traveler and are comfortable in doing things yourself, and responding yourself to any issues that arise in transit, or truly want to just let Viking deal with everything. 

-Whether you want to get your seats done with months in advance or waiting for Viking until closer to sailing to have them set.  How much control do you need?  

-Whether you want Vikings airport transfer free or do it yourself (or pay $49 pp to Viking for them)

In any case, "free air" is not really free.  You are paying for it it a higher cruise price and "may" pay for it in hidden non dollar costs (routing, seats, upgrades, etc.)  In general, Viking tends to discount either cheaper cruise prices, or free air, or other things like free Silver Spirits, etc.  We generally do not do cruises with free air fare since that means the cruise itself price is more than necessary for us since we don't use Viking Air.  There is no true answer.  Sadly, many people see "free air" and have too loft an expectation.

Note:  you will find people who have great experiences with Viking Air, and those that have horrible experiences.  You will always find someone to support whatever position you take.

If you are a savvy traveler, you will understand all the various risks and make your own decision.  Good luck!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Deviation cost is one fee (applies whether you come early, stay late, or both) per person.  Lately I've seen it as $150 but there might well be some itineraries that it's only $100.  AirPlus is $150.

FYI - it isn't so much the $$ cost for free air, as it is the other non-dollar costs you will need to understand and factor into your decision.  And those are why we've given up on Viking Air and control it ourselves.  There are SO many posts discussing this with pros and cons, all valid, for using or not using Viking Air (even with AirPlus).  Only you can decide.

Factors to consider:  what airport you fly out of and then into.  If you are going non-stop from say New York to Europe, might be OK.  If you are going a route that may require multiple connections, or from small commuter airports, you might be in trouble.    whether you are a seasoned traveler and are comfortable in doing things yourself, and responding yourself to any issues that arise in transit, or truly want to just let Viking deal with everything.  Whether you want to get your seats done with months in advance or waiting for VIking until closer to sailing to have them set.  How much control do you need?  

In any case, "free air" is not really free.  You are paying for it it a higher cruise price and "may" pay for it in hidden non dollar costs (routing, seats, upgrades, etc.)  There is no true answer.  Sadly, many people see "free air" and have too loft an expectation.

If you are a savvy traveler, you will understand all the various risks and make your own decision.  Good luck!

I clearly understand the travel and business aspects of the transaction.  That's why I called it included air, not free air. 

From your first couple sentences, it looks like we'd pay as much as $1,200:  four each deviation and Air Plus fees at $150/ea.  I simply want to make sure I understand our costs, given our travel desires, before we book.  Viking certainly isn't transparent relating to these fees - at least not on the website.

Just now, Breckski said:

I clearly understand the travel and business aspects of the transaction.  That's why I called it included air, not free air. 

From your first couple sentences, it looks like we'd pay as much as $1,200:  four each deviation and Air Plus fees at $150/ea.  I simply want to make sure I understand our costs, given our travel desires, before we book.  Viking certainly isn't transparent relating to these fees - at least not on the website.

As CCwinelover said, there is only one deviation fee per person no matter how many flights are involved.  So you are looking at $500 to $600 total for 2 people.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Breckski said:

Yes, they are correct.  One fee per person whether you are doing front end, back end, or both.  So $100-150 devation + $150 Air Plus = $250-$300 pp  

Yes, from your posts, I guessed you were a savvy traveler!

FYI - we are off to Breckenridge in 3 weeks to do some hiking, Breckenridge Beer Festival, and more.  Hope for good weather!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, they are correct.  One fee per person whether you are doing front end, back end, or both.  So $100-150 devation + $150 Air Plus = $250-$300 pp  

Yes, from your posts, I guessed you were a savvy traveler!

FYI - we are off to Breckenridge in 3 weeks to do some hiking, Breckenridge Beer Festival, and more.  Hope for good weather!

We'll be volunteering at the festival for a day.  September is one of our favorite months.  No traveling then!

Let me know if you have any questions about the area.  I know the mtb trails and hikes pretty well.  But it seems like a lot of folks have visited for years & know the area well also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breckski said:

From your first couple sentences, it looks like we'd pay as much as $1,200:  four each deviation and Air Plus fees at $150/ea.

It's always a good idea to discuss costs on a per person basis.  Avoids lots of misunderstanding.  Because not everyone has the same size "group".

54 minutes ago, Breckski said:

We'll be volunteering at the festival for a day.  September is one of our favorite months.  No traveling then!

Let me know if you have any questions about the area.  I know the mtb trails and hikes pretty well.  But it seems like a lot of folks have visited for years & know the area well also.

Thanks!  Send me a note at kjstong at gmail dot com   and perhaps we can meet at the Festival.

Kent

Paso Robles, CA

It’s hard to pass up free air. It can be a good incentive. Be ready to fly some crazy routes.  We have used Viking Air several times.  You may get lucky and get nonstops.  if you run into an air problem, Viking will help. 

51 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

It’s hard to pass up free air. It can be a good incentive.

And it's also easy to pass on "free" air.  If the overall cost, including the "freebie" is excessive, it's an easy pass.  Remember, TANSTAAFL.  One has to look at the total out of your pocket.

53 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

if you run into an air problem, Viking will help. 

Really?  Such as?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Really?  Such as?

Our first river cruise in 2015 - our flight was cancelled last minute due to a strike (Lufthansa). Within 12 hours, Viking got us another flight. However, transportation from the airport was not scheduled. So we called the 24 hour number and a minivan showed up in 30 minutes - and we arrived in time before the ship left port. 

4 hours ago, Breckski said:

Thanks.

I understand from reading the thread that you were focused on the specific Viking fees, but I did not see any direct mention that once you deviate (days early/ days post) you are also exposed to the possibility of additional charges for travel on different days than Viking's normal "day of" (in addition to potential preferred routing and seat class charges). In other words, "included" may only be the starting point.

Apologies if this is old news. It's always worth comparing the DIY approach to Viking Air - in this case, the first entry in the Viking column is zero (for included). 🍺🥌

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 81Zoomie said:

Do you get to select your seats if you use Viking air?

There seems to be, on this board, mixed views on this question.  It might be possible to select your seats directly with the airline after your flights are ticketed.  However, I know from my own independent booking experience, that once your seats are selected, the airline can change them for whatever reason -- equipment, "elite" status, etc.  

We have never used Viking Air so perhaps someone with Viking air experience will be able to answer your question.

Edited by millybess

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

If you elect not to use the “free air” is there a credit back to you? Do you get to select your seats if you use Viking air?

No credit.

If you don't use free air, you select your seats with the airlines just like you usually do.

If you do use free air, you may get to select seats, if any available, when Viking tickets the flights which may be such that there aren't any good seats left.  And the airlines may change/cancel flights on you as you get close if they change the Viking contracts, meaning you lose out on seats you did pick and now have even fewer to choose from.

Moral:  "Free Air' is never free.  Lots of Gotcha's.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Thanks 1

Free air always refers to economy class, but often you can use it towards premium economy or business class. So if the original cost of the economy flights were $1499, oftentimes premium economy and business class are reduced by $1499. You have to do your research to determine if that’s a good deal or not.

On 8/25/2024 at 7:17 PM, Redtravel said:

It’s hard to pass up free air. It can be a good incentive. Be ready to fly some crazy routes.  We have used Viking Air several times.  You may get lucky and get nonstops.  if you run into an air problem, Viking will help. 

Which is why we use Air Plus - every time.

17 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Do you get to select your seats if you use Viking air?

We’ve always been able to pick our seats. Typically they are assigned by Viking but you can go into MVJ or the airline’s app to change it. Seats are at a contract rate so not all locations may be available. Also, some carriers do not assign advance seating unless you pay an additional fee, you get a seat at check in. More and more airlines are trending this way. Major carriers like BA have been doing this for years. We encountered this with one leg of our trip back home from Florence on a regional carrier. MVJ listed our seat assignments as not available at this time with this carrier. We went on the airline’s website and paid a fee to get our advanced seat assignments.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Which is why we use Air Plus - every time.

In recent years MVJ has upgraded their airline search capabilities. You can search for a different flight and even a different airport. We live close enough to two major airports where we’ve been able to change flight, assign seats, depart from one and return to another all without using Air Plus. If after Viking assigns flights not to your liking and you’ve search MVJ for alternatives, you can then add Air Plus. No need to start off paying more without a reason.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We’ve always been able to pick our seats. Typically they are assigned by Viking but you can go into MVJ or the airline’s app to change it. Seats are at a contract rate so not all locations may be available. Also, some carriers do not assign advance seating unless you pay an additional fee, you get a seat at check in. More and more airlines are trending this way. Major carriers like BA have been doing this for years. We encountered this with one leg of our trip back home from Florence on a regional carrier. MVJ listed our seat assignments as not available at this time with this carrier. We went on the airline’s website and paid a fee to get our advanced seat assignments.

Thanks. We usually book our own, but this was a great deal. We will see how the air works. Hopefully not flying to Europe through LAX from Fla 🤣.

• Haha 1

We usually do our own airfare, but we're flying at Christmas, 12/23 & 1/5 and with weather and crowds we wanted Viking to be working for us if travel got messed up.  The flights we got are ones we would have chosen and are $500 cheaper/person than we could get. We're not flying until the end of December and our flights showed up on AA at least two months ago and we've already been able to change our seats.  No complaints yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Thanks. We usually book our own, but this was a great deal. We will see how the air works. Hopefully not flying to Europe through LAX from Fla 🤣.

In spite of what some others might say, free Viking Air is not something that I would pass on.

Have booked many cruises with Viking with free or reduced air.  

Flight times have changed.  Seats have been changed. That is the nature of this industry. When I am happy with everything I ask Viking to ticket me.  The chance of an upset is reduced.

Perhaps someone can explain why they would pay for something which  just might be identical to what you can do on your own.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

In spite of what some others might say, free Viking Air is not something that I would pass on.

Have booked many cruises with Viking with free or reduced air.  

Flight times have changed.  Seats have been changed. That is the nature of this industry. When I am happy with everything I ask Viking to ticket me.  The chance of an upset is reduced.

Perhaps someone can explain why they would pay for something which  just might be identical to what you can do on your own.

Thanks to all for the recommendations on asking to be ticketed.  Is there any advantage for paying for Air+ to secure better routing, seats, or upgrades?  As I understand it, we have to pay for a variation because we would like to stay a few days at the end of our cruise.  Any strategies either way?

Edited by 81Zoomie