Have you rented a car at the San Diego cruise port?

We would like to rent a car during a port stop in San Diego. The only rental companies open on the day we are in port are located at the airport and they do not offer a shuttle to the port. Have you rented a car while in port in San Diego? Are there taxis easily available at the port that we can take to the airport (we do not use Uber)? Just as important, are there taxis available at the airport’s rental car area to return to the port? Thank you.

I posted this message in the west coast port forum as well,  but thought there might be more responses here.

The closest car rental agency we found was at Avis which was a 0.9 mile walk to their office in Little Italy. Rented a van for a group of us to go wine tasting & returned to the ship to get other passengers…much better & cheaper than with a ship’s tour.

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/ca/san-diego/ks3

1670 Kettner Blvd - Ste 1,
(entrance on Cedar St), San Diego,CA, 92101

• Like 3

I would first go with @Astro Flyer’s recommendation but there are plenty of this available at both the airport and at the pier when a ship is in town.  It’s a very short ride from the pier to the airport so it won’t cost you an arm and a leg for a taxi.  But, like Astro Flyer said, the walk to the car rental agency is less than a mile.  

• Like 1

Ive done the airport thing a couple times.  Grabbed a cab or Uber Across the street from

ship, so youre on the Same side of the street heading Towards the airport.

It was easy to do. 

WHY I did that vs trying to find a Rental car within walking distance?

Because it was cheaper at the airport, and I could go with companies I'm familiar and get deals with. Worked out fine.