Flip flops in mdr

4 hours ago, travelloverontario said:

If I have nice capris and shirt...or a dress, will there be an issue wearing flip flops to the mdr for dinner?

They are not plastic dollarstore ones, but decent black or tourquoise ones.

yes, nobody cares.

Nobody cares except some folks posting here.  I never pay attention to what people have on their feet.  I have noticed a few bare foot folks over the years but wasn't while I was getting food.

26 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Nobody cares except some folks posting here.  I never pay attention to what people have on their feet.  I have noticed a few bare foot folks over the years but wasn't while I was getting food.

It’s all tongue in cheek 😉

3 hours ago, Boku said:

Women wearing flip flops is fine, men wearing flip flops is gross IMO 🤮 😉

I have more pairs of slippers than i have shoes.As kids in Hawaii, we went to school barefoot, only wore shoes to church on Sundays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boku said:

Women wearing flip flops is fine, men wearing flip flops is gross IMO 🤮 😉

@Boku  I've smashed my screen at least 3 different times because of your "wandering bug"!  Just thought you'd like to know.  LOL  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, wcflats said:

Grow up ..get some class..wear shoes 👠!

Don't own any shoes.  DW and I do.wear socks with our Birkis on what used to be formal night.

In some 700 nights of cruising have never worn anything but sandals.  Just so they are not fluorescent pink all ok.

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Just be aware that if you do a gallery tour you will have to have closed toe shoes. This would be as part of a chefs table or culinary demonstration 

I wore sandals to the culinary demonstration/galley tour on Majestic Princess in February. I'm guessing over 50% of the people on the tour with me were in sandals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

I have more pairs of slippers than i have shoes.As kids in Hawaii, we went to school barefoot, only wore shoes to church on Sundays.

So did my mother. Old Maui High

I special-order solid black Nike Pegasus runners, which go unnoticed in the dining room, and double as shoes I can wear in ports. Ain't no way I'm packing dress shoes for a couple of "formal nights". No coat/no tie either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wear $150 leather Birks w matching dress socks all the time in the dining room along w a collared golf shirt and decent pants.  I am better dressed than the people who wear their baseball caps backwards.  Don't get me started on the people who wear baseball caps and especially backward baseball caps in the dining room.

Also and this is not being sexist but if women are allowed to wear sparkly dress sandals  and bare feet in the dining room which is perfectly acceptable I am better dressed footwise with my leather birks and dress socks.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I wear $150 leather Birks w matching dress socks all the time in the dining room along w a collared golf shirt and decent pants.  I am better dressed than the people who wear their baseball caps backwards.  Don't get me started on the people who wear baseball caps and especially backward baseball caps in the dining room.

Also and this is not being sexist but if women are allowed to wear sparkly dress sandals  and bare feet in the dining room which is perfectly acceptable I am better dressed footwise with my leather birks and dress socks.

DON

Agree.  We wear the same outfits.

Love my baseball caps, but they are forward facing and my grandmother would return to haunt me if I wore one while eating dinner!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree.  We wear the same outfits.

Love my baseball caps, but they are forward facing and my grandmother would return to haunt me if I wore one while eating dinner!

We took our grandson on an AK cruise.  He is a fanatical Yankees fan.  I think that the only time he takes of the Yankees cap is when he takes a shower.  Also he always wears the cap the way it was designed - brim forward to keep the sun out of your eyes.  If anyone can tell me what good wearing the cap backwards to keep the sun off your neck I would appreciate it.  Anyway when we took him on the cruise we told him that there was to be no wearing of the Yankees cap in the dining room and also in the buffet when we had dinner there.  Breakfast and lunch was OK.  He complied.

DON

• Like 1

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We took our grandson on an AK cruise.  He is a fanatical Yankees fan.  I think that the only time he takes of the Yankees cap is when he takes a shower.  Also he always wears the cap the way it was designed - brim forward to keep the sun out of your eyes.  If anyone can tell me what good wearing the cap backwards to keep the sun off your neck I would appreciate it.  Anyway when we took him on the cruise we told him that there was to be no wearing of the Yankees cap in the dining room and also in the buffet when we had dinner there.  Breakfast and lunch was OK.  He complied.

DON

As an ex catcher it became a habit over the years to wear it backwards. There is also no difference in keeping sun off you while in a dining room. So if it is ok to wear the cap forward at breakfast and lunch why not backwards ?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:01 AM, memoak said:

Just be aware that if you do a gallery tour you will have to have closed toe shoes. This would be as part of a chefs table or culinary demonstration 

We just did a galley tour and I had sandals on .. asked if I needed a pair of shoes and they said, no, what I had on was just fine.  They were a pair of backless sketcher sandals.  
We were invited up to the crew deck for sail away on a celebrity ship once and for that, I needed closed toe shoes .. no exceptions.  

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We just did a galley tour and I had sandals on .. asked if I needed a pair of shoes and they said, no, what I had on was just fine.  They were a pair of backless sketcher sandals.  
We were invited up to the crew deck for sail away on a celebrity ship once and for that, I needed closed toe shoes .. no exceptions.  

Things may have changed I have not done a gallery tour for about 20 years

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

Things may have changed I have not done a gallery tour for about 20 years

I do think it changed.  I remember doing one long ago and that is what makes me think shoes were required.  
I board wearing a pair of shoes and never ever wear them the entire time while on a cruise.  I don’t think I’m going to bother even taking a pair of shoes on my next few cruises.  I only wear sandals, even up in Alaska.  Needless to say, I wasn’t hiking on any glaciers.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 6:46 AM, travelloverontario said:

Did a google search on wearing flip flops in the mdr and answers were old and all over the board.

If I have nice capris and shirt...or a dress, will there be an issue wearing flip flops to the mdr for dinner?

They are not plastic dollarstore ones, but decent black or tourquoise ones.

Still just flip flops though...they do not have a back nor a heel...nor are the sparkly.

I am hoping that is acceptable as I do not really wear other shoes except runners. 

Do you think I will have any issues? 

Noone is going to look at your feet! You will be fine!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, anngi said:

Some people wear baseball hats and sunglasses indoors because they have low vision and the light hurts their eyes. 

Good point. However, if the baseball cap is on backwards ...

Most of you probably sound like your parents did with the styles that your wore and possibly still wear and how you wore/wear them. 🤣 Maybe those wearing backward baseball hats question why some wear dress, casual socks with their Birkenstock sandals. To each their own. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1