Is B.B. King's going away?

Iamthesea

On 9/2/2024 at 3:38 PM, Iamthesea said:

That's what I thought, so why I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned on HAL's website.  I cannot imagine what would take it's place.  We have not been fans of the RS Lounge or the Dueling Piano's (though I think they have now done away with the duo's.)  The single piano placer/singer we had on the Rotterdam in May was not very good.

That's a shame about your pianist at Billboard Onboard. On our 28-day Asia cruise in February the incomparable Krista Meadows regaled us six nights a week. She had three 45-minute sets each evening, and rather than attend to her personal needs (if only to wind down), she used the 15 minutes between sets to review and reorganize for the next one. The last set was requests. Krista had an amazing repertoire and some astonishing renditions. If she was unfamiliar with a requested number, she would set it aside and work on it during the daytime. She played and sang almost every form of pop music with a remarkable range of styles.

We’re on Koningsdam now, the live music has been absolutely stellar.  We’ve been in BB Kings most nights but went to the Rolling Stones Rock Room tonight. I could not be more impressed with the live music.  HAL is no longer your gramma’s cruise line.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I hear good things about BB Kings and the other music venues sound good as well.  My sister was on one of the non-Pinnacle class ships last year and said that while BB Kings was very good, the size of the venue was so small that it was very difficult to get a seat.  We will be on the Nieuw Statendam next April and are wondering if the Music Walk venues are adequately sized to accommodate the typical audience.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 4:38 PM, Iamthesea said:

The single piano placer/singer we had on the Rotterdam in May was not very good.

We were on the Rotterdam for the last two weeks of April and had an amazing pianist/singer!  His name was Trenton.  He packed the room every night.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Burton Cummings is touring. We will see him in January. 

Ah, I thought you meant they were getting the band back together or something.  Enjoy Burton, and I hope we get to hear about it!

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Burton Cummings is touring. We will see him in January. 

Burton Cummings and "The Guess Who" are not interchangeable, although I'm sure Burton performs many Guess Who songs (he and Randy Bachman wrote most of the hits). I recently heard "The Guess Who" (the band that owns the name but none of the music) has been barred from using any of the music after a recent court ruling.

BB's is only on the three Pinnacle's now. The Vistas have Billboard and Rolling Stone. I think HAL decided to go with the latter on the smaller ships since they only have two appropriate venues as opposed to the three on the larger ships. Just finished a two-week on Oosterdam. In addition to the two venues discussed here, there was also a three piece jazz combo that played in the Ocean Bar each night. Very good group. There was also a ballroom hour to recorded music at 6 most nights. We enjoyed that as well. Yes, I miss the classical, but its not a game changer to me.

10 minutes ago, cruzngal said:

Their Facebook page changed to Beale Street Blues At Sea awhile ago.  Must have lost their affiliation with the BB King franchise.

The "Thrill is Gone". <sigh> 

On 9/3/2024 at 4:41 AM, CruiserBruce said:

In DC right now. Watched a documentary about Santana on the flight. A big chunk of it was the Woodstock break out for him. 

Speaking of Santana, on this years' GWV on Zuiderdam, the GWV Band did an AWSOME Santana tribute show that really blew the house down!  It was talked about for days afterward.  They are going to be back in 2025 also.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cruzngal said:

Their Facebook page changed to Beale Street Blues At Sea awhile ago.  Must have lost their affiliation with the BB King franchise.

Yet the website still lists BB Kings as the name. 

3 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Speaking of Santana, on this years' GWV on Zuiderdam, the GWV Band did an AWSOME Santana tribute show that really blew the house down!  It was talked about for days afterward.  They are going to be back in 2025 also.

We had the same show on the recent Voyage of the Vikings.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Sounds great.

I saw Santana originally in 1969 at Woodstock. At Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock site), I have seen them with Steve Winwood opening, with the Doobie Brothers opening (50th anniversary concert), with Earth, Wind, and Fire opening, and this summer with Counting Crows opening.

The best on cruise band tribute I have seen was on the NCL Prima in 2023, a Bob Marley tribute.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:43 AM, rjp50 said:

I hear good things about BB Kings and the other music venues sound good as well.  My sister was on one of the non-Pinnacle class ships last year and said that while BB Kings was very good, the size of the venue was so small that it was very difficult to get a seat.  We will be on the Nieuw Statendam next April and are wondering if the Music Walk venues are adequately sized to accommodate the typical audience.

We were on the Koningsdam in February and there was adequate seating in all 3 of the music venues.  Had a great time.