Ideas for things to do on a day trip to Anchorage and Seward

Birdwatch

Following the land/sea trip with Princess to Alaska next summer, my spouse and I plan to spend a little time exploring on our own. We have two half days in Anchorage and a day in Seward. We plan to take the Coastal Classic train to/from Seward, which will be an experience in itself. Ideas what to do in Seward for approximately 6 hours? Is that enough time for a nice hike? Thank you in advance for all of the advice!

The Coastal Classic is a very nice train experience but if you rent a car you can stop at scenic places along the way.  Once you get to Seward you can walk around town and the waterfront.  There is Alaska SeaLife Center in town.   Maybe the railroad has a special activities offer for round trip passengers.  This summer there was a free shuttle making a loop around town.  Exit Glacier is out aways as is Seavey’s Ididaride Sled Dog Tours.

I love the train ride to Seward - very scenic. If you can spend the night in Seward, that would be great. Kenai Fjord boat rides, Ididaride sled dog tours, Exit Glacier, etc.....

There are several excursions in Seward that are compatible with a day trip to Seward by train. Check their website for a list of them that are accessed by clicking on “Seward” from the community list. Getting out on the water for glacier viewing and possible wildlife sightings is good.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/day-trips

Walking around Seward is ok I guess.  But, I'd suggest you get out to Exit Glacier.  It is very picturesque.  Along the way, you will see signs on the road where the glacier was in years past.  There is a cab in town and you can ask how much it would be to drop you off and pick you up, or you can go with a tour.  I wouldn't just settle for walking around town and seeing all of the shops like every other town.  At around 3 or 4pm head over to the waterfront where the charters come in and see all of the fish catch.  They hang them up so people on the charters can get their pictures taken.  Keep in mind, there are two "areas" in Seward; downtown and the harbor area.  As long as you are there, I would walk around both.  Head over to Resurrection Coffee.  Why?  It is unique and quiet as compared to downtown and it's only a couple of blocks away.  https://www.resurrectart.com/ If you are into beer, you head to Seward Brewing downtown.  https://www.sewardbrewery.com/

• Like 1

You left out some important info like when in summer. If in mid to late July or August in Seward head to the fish hatchery to see the sea lions and bears eat the Salmon. In ANC go tour Matanuska glacier. It is about 1-2 hr drive out of ANC. I think some of the tours may include transportation. Make sure to check youtube for touring ideas to see what suits you. Here is one idea. Start video at 8:45. Alaska RV Life: It's Time For The Thing We All HATE (youtube.com) 

For more ideas see BigTruck Big Travels Alaska videos which will take several days to see their ideas. 

If you decide to go to Exit Glacier there is a shuttle that runs hourly from downtown to the glacier for $20 round trip.  For a hike, although the Harding Icefield Trail would be too long, just going to Marmot Meadows is a nice hike that gives you views from above Exit Glacier.

https://www.nps.gov/places/marmot-meadows.htm

Edited by Glaciers
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Birdwatch said:

Ideas what to do in Seward for approximately 6 hours?

You could consider driving a short section of the scenic Seward Highway, one of the most scenic highways in N America.

There are some past threads about it you might find interesting to read. These ones

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="seward highway"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=33&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

• Like 1