Princess 20 years later

KevIT

No chocolates at night????  How cheap can they get.  I just got off Oceania and was a solo traveler.  I thought it was kind of cheap that they only gave me one chocolate each night. I mean I was paying 175% for the cabin!😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MomC said:

No chocolates at night????  How cheap can they get.  I just got off Oceania and was a solo traveler.  I thought it was kind of cheap that they only gave me one chocolate each night. I mean I was paying 175% for the cabin!😀

"A moment on the lips; a lifetime on the hips!" LOL, I would gladly give you any chocolates left in my cabin.

Best way to get a Princess tote bag is to walk around the ship with a Holland bag. Several cruises ago my wife could not find her blue bag before we left, hence the Holland bag. We stopped by guest services one day a young lady at the desk made a remark about the Holland bag, we all had a laugh about it. The next day a very nice vinyl princess bag with a zipper and a Princess water bottle showed up in our cabin. It was from the lady at GS and a very nice note. After returning home wife finally found her stash of blue bags. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, KevIT said:

Hi, it has been many years since we sailed with Princess (2004 on the Royal Princess). Since then we have sailed with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and P&O. I was wondering what is Princess in 2024 like compared to Princess 20 years ago?

21 hours ago, KevIT said:

Hi, it has been many years since we sailed with Princess (2004 on the Royal Princess). Since then we have sailed with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and P&O. I was wondering what is Princess in 2024 like compared to Princess 20 years ago?

One of the best cruises we ever did was on Royal Princess also in 2024 - Singapore to Cape Town.  I think it was for 30 or 31 nights - absolutely fabulous.  Don’t know what they are like now though. 

16 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

Yes, I too have enough tote bags.   I did sometimes use them on the ship.  Just stating a lot of things that have changed.  The original poster asked what is different....I stated many things I've noticed that are different.  Some things matter to some people.  

The bags really do matter to some people. I see the same complaints on other boards. I just don't get it. I think the switch from individual soaps and shampoo to dispensers in the shower is more significant.

• Like 2

IDK, I just have a different view I guess. 

The pillow chocolates are not missed at all.  They were not that good.  

The blue bags might be handy if you need a tote bag.  When it comes to what makes a cruise enjoyable, a cheap tote bag isn't going to move the needle.  

Printed port guides are/were purposely vague and not that useful beyond identifying Princess' recommended shopping places.  A little time spent researching ports prior to the cruise is much better.  We have always created our own "port guides" for those places we don't do a paid excursion.

I do prefer bars of soap and now bring my own.   It hardly registers as a downgrade. 

When I think of changes from our very early cruises that had an impact, the first things that come to mind are:  Overall quality of dining has declined.   Dress expectations are much more relaxed.  Wifi/internet access is much better.  There are add-ons with extra charges.  Cruise vacations can be had for relatively low cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The bags really do matter to some people. I see the same complaints on other boards. I just don't get it. I think the switch from individual soaps and shampoo to dispensers in the shower is more significant.

We always have brought our own body wash and shampoo not a big deal either. Still don’t know why I need a tote bag on a cruise

Tote bag on our March 2024 Enchanted cruise. Surprised Princess was still giving them. I use the tote bag on sea days to haul my junk up to the deck above the pool deck when lounging in the sun and enjoying my BP or down to the gym and showers. Very handy and glad to have it.  That way I don't have to pack one of the bags we've previously received from Princess, Celebrity and Holland.  

Edited by doghog

Did any cruise ship offer wi-fi in 2004?  Maybe some did.  It was not available on the one (Celebrity) cruise we took in 2004.  That was also our first cruise on which the ship had a (single) specialty restaurant.

I am laughing like crazy the tote bag thing.  If you don't use them, then why do you care if others do use them?  Do you really believe that if you leave the ship in the port without a tote bag, then you'll blend in among the locals. and nobody will know that you're a tourist?  Believe me, the locals can spot the tourists who just walked off the ship without seeing a tote bag--or a lanyard.

We have, actually, used tote bags.  Some years ago I took the Princess Ultimate Ship's Tour.  I don't think these tours have been offered since the COVID pause.  As I am sure that many of you know. lovely parting gifts (swag) were delivered to your cabin after the tour.  The personalized note pad that I received was very handy for several years.  On packing day, we realized that the big fluffy robe that was included in the UST swag was not going to fit in any of our suitcases.  I suggested that we just leave it.  Mrs. XBGuy would have none of that.  She stuffed it in the Princess tote bag, and it was easy to carry off the ship.  We still have that robe.  I have no idea where the UBT photographer's pictures or the highly prized picture frame are.  🤣