Damaged luggage during embarkation

I received my (brand new) suitcase damaged in my cabin after embarkation. The handle was deformed and could no longer go in.
Reported this immediately on the first evening at the servicedesk.
Needed to fill in a form and gave them my suitcase. They send it to the repairshop to see if they could fix it.
You could immediately see that this was not possible because it was deformed too much and by trying to fix it, it will be a weak spot forever.

After one day I received my suitcase back in the room without any information.
The handle was now in but I could only get it out with a lot of force (didn't do that of course).
So went back to the servicedesk and made the complaint. Had to leave my suitcase for the second time to see if they could fix it.
Of course I mentioned this was useless...but procedures etc...

Next day the suitcase was back in my room without any information. Went straight to the service desk.
They said that someone should have given me the following information:
1) Suitcase is damaged too much/not repairable anymore
2) Procedure too claim reimbursement on my suitcase could only be done after the cruise

3) I will receive $30 OBC for the inconvenience which would have no impact on the reimbursement claim. Because this was all they could do on the ship

Later that evening a person came to my cabin and told me exact the same 3 points above. I asked several times if the OBC would have impact on the claim which would not be the case. It was purely for the inconvenience. They could also offer me a new suitcase but I really like my suitcase and wanted to have the same again, also because I have the whole set.

After the cruise send an email with the form and received the following message back:

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced with your luggage. Upon checking, compensation amounting $30 On Board Credit was given onboard as the luggage's handle has been fixed.

The yellow copy of the Personal Property Report was issue in case you need to file a claim with your personal travel insurance provider.

Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond to this email or contact our Customer Service directly at 1-800-256-6649. One of our representatives will be more than happy to assist you.

This is not in line with was promised on board:
1) The handle has not been fixed!
2) The yellow form is not for my travel insurance. They would not pay because:
a) Abuse of luggage is excluded

b) And if my suitcase was fixed...why would I fill in a claim?

I replied to this email that I do not agree with this. It was promised to me that my suitcase would be fully compensated and that's what should happen.

Is there more that I can do? Someone else has experience with this?

• Like 2

I would email. Mbayley@rccl.com your details (including ship name, sail dates and your booking #) along with a photo of your suitcase and a copy of complete claim form.

Include names, if possible, of people that you spoke with.

Edited by Sunshine3601

Royal broke the handle of DSiL's brand new suitcase also. As in, broke the handle OFF the poles that recess into the suitcase. I think they got $50 OBC.  DSiL & DD were satisfied with it, so OK. 

We had a similar incident on Wonder last year.  It went totally opposite of what you describe.  My wife's luggage was broken during embark.  We had taken pictures at the hotel before we came to the port so we had 'proof' if need be.  We waited until maybe day 3 or 4 to avoid long lines at guest services.  Stood in line for 5 minutes, talked to a very nice person.  He filled out some forms and then about 10 minutes later asked us to come over to the door to the back to view what luggage they had.  They wheeled over a brand new piece of luggage that was nicer than my wives current bag (hers was getting old).

They said to empty the old one and leave it in the room and they would drop off the new bag.  A day later that is exactly what happened. We were so impressed with the service.  In all of our cruises it was our only and only time going to guest services.  I had posted the story on our roll call and several people commented about how well they got treated on Wonder.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, YoupDeBoer said:

They could also offer me a new suitcase but I really like my suitcase and wanted to have the same again, also because I have the whole set.

I'd take the new one. Certainly a frustrating experience, but I'm actually surprised that they offered you a new one in addition to trying to repair the old one. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sounds really frustrating and probably took up a lot of your vacation time to deal with. Sorry that happened to you. It's frustrating that their paperwork wasn't more explicit in stating exactly what was told to you (i.e acceptance of this obc will not invalidate your right to a reimbursement etc).

I would be upset as well, as my luggage is part of a 2-piece set that cost over $2,000, and I'd want it replaced with the same luggage, not something from their spare room. However I do realize there's always a disclaimer on airlines and elsewhere that luggage over $500 isn't covered, so it's a risk every time I hand it over. 

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'd take the new one. Certainly a frustrating experience, but I'm actually surprised that they offered you a new one in addition to trying to repair the old one. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you!

We have had a piece of luggage damaged twice (both by airlines) and dropped in the water on embarkation day once by RCL. The first time the airline offered some $$ compensation and we naively accepted it. Lesson learned. The second time we insisted they replace the piece, and we received a better piece of luggage than the one they damaged. When RCL dropped our luggage in the water, not only did it soak all of our clothes, but it ruined the piece of luggage. We took a new piece of luggage, and they cleaned and pressed all of the clothes. 

Moral: always take the luggage if it is offered, or insist they replace it if they don't offer.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The luggage replacement I got from Ovation Guest Services when they destroyed my bag looked cool at the beginning, but after one trip it completely broke, those replacement they offer are just cheap Ross luggage.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah for most part they really dont fix them, they just give you a new one. Happen to me and was first time I used it also. Will never know if was broke by a Porter or Royal. Delta Air was worse. Had front pocket rip wide open, but since the mesh was still there inside pocket where you could see my Clothes they said still good. I always carry my Army sewing kit, so I sewed it permanently shut at the Hotel before I Boarded the Ship

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah for most part they really dont fix them, they just give you a new one. Happen to me and was first time I used it also. Will never know if was broke by a Porter or Royal. Delta Air was worse. Had front pocket rip wide open, but since the mesh was still there inside pocket where you could see my Clothes they said still good. I always carry my Army sewing kit, so I sewed it permanently shut at the Hotel before I Boarded the Ship

I wonder if travel insurance covers this. I know many policies cover lost or delayed baggage, especially when it's the airline who's at fault, but I don't know about luggage damaged by the cruise line. In any event, since I travel a lot, I've gotten used to bags getting stained, scratched, ripped, wet, zippers broken/missing, and banged up. I would never trust any carrier (on land, sea, or air) with fancy luggage that I couldn't afford to have damaged. I would also be interested in knowing whether the cruise contract indemnifies the cruise line for any possible damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

I had a great experience with DL. My bag was damaged and went to the DL customer service near carousel pickup at LAX and they brought a new similar piece of luggage and I transferred my contents into the new bag and was on my way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

I carry duck tape and glad to have had it  March 2022 as Jetblue offered nothing at the time of damage!! You wouldn't have been able to sew that one. 

• Like 2

Interesting.  We cruised with friends last year and their almost new suitcase was damaged.  Royal replaced it with a new one before the cruise was over (a little smaller but it worked).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That sounds really frustrating and probably took up a lot of your vacation time to deal with. Sorry that happened to you. It's frustrating that their paperwork wasn't more explicit in stating exactly what was told to you (i.e acceptance of this obc will not invalidate your right to a reimbursement etc).

I would be upset as well, as my luggage is part of a 2-piece set that cost over $2,000, and I'd want it replaced with the same luggage, not something from their spare room. However I do realize there's always a disclaimer on airlines and elsewhere that luggage over $500 isn't covered, so it's a risk every time I hand it over. 

Not to take any responsibility off of Royal, but if you paid that much, you should have a lifetime repair warranty on the luggage. I know we do with the luggage we have. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Why spend $2,000 on bags that are going to be thrown around and stacked. Haven't you seen how these bags are treated?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

Why spend $2,000 on bags that are going to be thrown around and stacked. Haven't you seen how these bags are treated?

I'm guessing they have their reasons, which are really nobody else's business. 😉 Those reasons may or may not include the top-notch construction, highest quality materials and lifetime warrantee. 

• Like 1

A couple thoughts: 

Years ago we were walking down the hall to our room on Embarkation Day, and a crew-only door was open, so of course we looked in.  It was a staircase, and they were literally THROWING suitcases down the stairway.  I mean throwing them down a whole flight of stairs.  I'm surprised more suitcases aren't damaged.  

I think we all know that luggage handlers aren't at all careful when they're out of our sight, but that was a surprise to me. 

I do agree that it's smart to buy cheap luggage if you're going to let other people move your stuff.  All of my suitcases come from places like TJ Maxx or Ross, where you can get them for $40-60.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I'm guessing they have their reasons, which are really nobody else's business. 😉 Those reasons may or may not include the top-notch construction, highest quality materials and lifetime warrantee. 

Yes, but no suitcase is guaranteed to survive that rough handling.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Agreed! Hence the beauty of the lifetime warrantee. 🙂 

Funny about that, we just bought some new luggage, and the store supports a specific brand so that they will ship the bag back to the maker. The seller showed us some stuff that came back- where the manufacturer fixed the seen damage AND a lot of unseen damage as well as updating some hardware that they did on their own. So, yea, the right high end luggage will be the last you need (if not stolen). 

• Like 3