It’s time for some new playlists

Alakegirl

1 hour ago, lexmiller said:

Most recently, we were B3B on Apex this July, and the music was just bizarre - one of the 'songs' had the word 'cocaine' in it, and no, it was not the original version of Frank Sinatra's "I Get a Kick Out of You", it was a modern ode and wow it was bad. 

Eric Clapton had a hit with a song TITLED "Cocaine" in 1977. Nothing new there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FRMPEI said:

I can't resist... anything from this century?

I sometimes find it hard to differentiate 1999 from 2000 and on, and the top acts of the 2000's overlap pretty heavily into the 90's and earlier, but...

Foo Fighters (most of their stuff)

Pink

Train

Killers

Coldplay (in definite moderation...)

Blink-182

Death Cab for Cutie

Phish

Slipknot (that would be an interesting reaction)

Evanescence

Paramour

Eminem (hard pass for me on Kanye)

That I can think of right now. A lot of artists that have been big this century but are more associated with the 20th Century: U2, Springsteen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc. Not many of those played onboard either.

They already play Beyonce, Taylor Swift, and Adele.

I dont recall hearing music at Tuscan grill.   or public areas.     Is this elevator music?  or live music    I  will pay better attention next time 

5 hours ago, ch175 said:

I’ll also add that I didn’t realize there was such a thing as hallway music. I’ll pay better attention next time.

I think it is something like "elevator music" 

On 9/5/2024 at 6:38 AM, markeb said:

Works for me. I’ll start with:

Smells Like Team Spirit

Hopefully that’s what you were thinking!

Um...

Is this a joke, a typo, or a mis-heard title?

To be fair, most of the song I think you're referencing is really hard to understand, and the title isn't actually in it.

Edited by MamaFej
Edited out other song titles, so the highlighted one would show without expanding the quote

17 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Um...

Is this a joke, a typo, or a mis-heard title?

To be fair, most of the song I think you're referencing is really hard to understand, and the title isn't actually in it.

Typo without proofreading. Wasn't going to use it and added it late. D'oh!

• Haha 1

I was told by a cruise director that the music loops and in shows don't change after the ship is launched.  So, playlists are sort of set and forgot.  Hence, why aspects of the experience can seem dated.  Fully agree some playlists could use a refresh, even if it's not necessarily current music.  But, nothing screams x year like a particular song by Katy Perry, Celine, etc.  Too much of that and the vibe becomes nostalgic and not a specific vibe appropriate for a particular venue, time of day, etc  The use of DJs and live musicians helps in some places depending on their mandate.  

Edited by Cap_D

FWIW:  Mandatory loops are probably a function of BMI/ASCAP.  Miami would determine the playlist and pay license fees accordingly.  They'd want it all nice and predictable aboard.

That's not to say that the playlist couldn't do with some improvement, but explains why it seems to be a fleetwide thing, and doesn't vary.

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

FWIW:  Mandatory loops are probably a function of BMI/ASCAP.  Miami would determine the playlist and pay license fees accordingly.  They'd want it all nice and predictable aboard.

That's not to say that the playlist couldn't do with some improvement, but explains why it seems to be a fleetwide thing, and doesn't vary.

There you go injecting reality. Where’s the fun in that!

And yes, I’m sure the fees and royalties are the biggest driver. As they are for my season long boycott of NFL Sunday Night Football…

Good heavens, the things people notice and complain about.  Blows my mind sometimes.  I've sailed 81 times on Celebrity, including many back to back cruises, and I never even noticed which songs were playing and definitely didn't care.  It's background music not entertainment per se. Now, the production shows not changing in 10+ years, that's another story.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

More on my Tuscan Grille morning hate list

fuori pelicolo

l’isola Che non c’e

un Bacio prima di morire

guido piano

pieholden suite

horrible choices!!!!🤮🤮🤮

Translation please ...

18 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Years ago, I found a Spotify playlist someone, I think a poster here, made from the hallway music. I still listen to it occasionally to feel like I am onboard.

Good work…

20 hours ago, markeb said:

Eric Clapton had a hit with a song TITLED "Cocaine" in 1977. Nothing new there.

Yes, of course - trust me, the playlist on Apex this past July definitely did not contain Clapton - that would have been fine!  I know every word to that song!  This is not about being a prude, markeb, "nothing new there" - oh please.  You clearly aren't getting my point.  Whatever.

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Good heavens, the things people notice and complain about.  Blows my mind sometimes.  I've sailed 81 times on Celebrity, including many back to back cruises, and I never even noticed which songs were playing and definitely didn't care.  It's background music not entertainment per se. Now, the production shows not changing in 10+ years, that's another story.  

If only it WAS background music in Tuscan at breakfast.  It’s only that because I make a fuss and they turn the volume down .  Otherwise it’s loud, harsh,  and unpleasant.  

5 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Yes, of course - trust me, the playlist on Apex this past July definitely did not contain Clapton - that would have been fine!  I know every word to that song!  This is not about being a prude, markeb, "nothing new there" - oh please.  You clearly aren't getting my point.  Whatever.

OK. You didn't like the music. Was that your point?

Sorry, but you specifically mentioned "cocaine" twice in your post. That seemed to be your point. Apparently not.

While I don't pay much attention to the elevator music, perhaps Celebrity should consider upping their game.  It does not cost them much,  Sometimes it is the little things thing sets one apart...

When I go to the Waldorf Astoria,  they knock the ball out of the park in every inning.  Perhaps Celebrity could aspire to be more like them.

The differences seem to be in outstanding service and not doing silly things ...  The WA bases their pricing upon their reputation.  

Edited by NMTraveller