First time as a Carnivore cruiser.

K and S

I don't know where to put this question so please help. 

In April we became carnivores, due to health issues. 

I would like to hear from other carnivores re their eating experiences on a Norwegian cruise. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, K and S said:

I would like to hear from other carnivores re their eating experiences on a Norwegian cruise. Thanks. 

Hello @K and S and thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. However, it was off topic where posted. That forum is for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using the Cruise Critic message board software and not for cruise-related questions or Roll Calls. 

To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Norwegian Cruise Line

forum where it will be on topic since you are asking for eating experiences on a NCL cruise.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

Plenty of all types of meat in all restaurants and the buffet, and plenty of choice too.    Plenty for us to enjoy so I'm sure you will find plenty too.   Not so much fish but still some, my wife takes fish most days when it is on the MDR menu,

• Thanks 1

For health reasons, I had to go keto, which is not exactly the same as carnivore, but there are quite a lot of meat products, and eggs. NCL has cut back on salmon, which sucks, as it's one of the best fatty fishes out there. I doubt the beef is grass-fed.

I do not know if the ships carry lactose-free dairy, though, and they probably cook in oil, as using lard or butter or tallow would be expensive. I don't know how strict you'll be in avoiding dairy.

The hardest part for me with remaining keto was the desserts. The real trouble will be the willpower to stay on the diet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, K and S said:

Sorry, but I misread the title of your thread.  I wondered why you would post on the NCL board if you had a question about sailing with Carnival. 😁

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:53 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Plenty of all types of meat in all restaurants and the buffet, and plenty of choice too.    Plenty for us to enjoy so I'm sure you will find plenty too.   Not so much fish but still some, my wife takes fish most days when it is on the MDR menu,

Very little beef in the MDR, except for the everyday steak and the upcharge Cagney offerings. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:29 PM, complawyer said:

moderno, moderno, moderno.... nuff said!!!

After all of the recent Moderno bashing on CC, I'm more than a bit leery of our upcoming Moderno reservation this week. Never eaten there before, so hoping for the best and expecting the...well, let's just leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

After all of the recent Moderno bashing on CC, I'm more than a bit leery of our upcoming Moderno reservation this week. Never eaten there before, so hoping for the best and expecting the...well, let's just leave it at that.

I've had good experiences and bad there. The best part is if you don't like the cut of meat they offer you can just so no and wait for the next round.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I find it to be an excellent choice. I have never had a bad piece of meat there and I have been six or seven times. The salad bar is excellent. My only complaint is that drink service tends to be a bit slow, but I find that to be true in all the restaurants. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 12:02 PM, K and S said:

What ship will you be on? 

hey schmoop! i cant believe that after all your cruises, you've never eaten in Moderno.

the poster claimed to be a carnivore, so i recommended moderno. sometimes it can be "hit or miss" .the salad bar itself, is enough to justify eating there, and the sliced pineapple is to die for. i would be happy to just eat the salad bar and go directly to the pineapple.

since they both share the same kitchen, if im, at cagney's, i ask my waiter if he can sneak us a few slices.

actually, my go-to specialty restaurant is cagney's, although we have as yet not sailed on a ship with either onda or paloma. this will soon be corrected in 2 weeks as we're on the prima.

If anyone is interested, i'll post a comment, although i usually do not write reviews as i'm certain, somewhere out there someone is bound to disagree.

anyway, let us know what you thought about moderno

• Like 2