Can you get a second cabin key?

jules181

I guess a bit of backstory.  

When I booked the cruise ages ago, I was single, now I'm not.  Booked solo with a balcony, got a crazy good deal.  

NCL wants $3k extra to add the other half to the reservation.  Solo studios are going for less than $1k. 

Has anyone ever got them to make up an extra room key for you?  Worst case, we'll just share the one key, but it would be better to each have one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jules181 said:

When I booked the cruise ages ago, I was single, now I'm not.  Booked solo with a balcony, got a crazy good deal.  

NCL wants $3k extra to add the other half to the reservation.  Solo studios are going for less than $1k. 

Has anyone ever got them to make up an extra room key for you?  Worst case, we'll just share the one key, but it would be better to each have one.

We had a forward suite on the Gem in June. I was able to get an extra cabin card for friends who would come in and sit out on our deck. The had a regular balcony cabin on the same floor

Edited by Laszlo

hey jules, take a sad song and make it better (sorry, i couldnt resist)

it isnt the issue of the spare key, if  youre booked into a solo as a solo, your friend might not appear on the cruise docs. if he/she does, you may get charged anyway. i dont believe you can get anyone on the ship that isnt listed on the cruise docs.

just saying

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey jules, take a sad song and make it better (sorry, i couldnt resist)

it isnt the issue of the spare key, if  youre booked into a solo as a solo, your friend might not appear on the cruise docs. if he/she does, you may get charged anyway. i dont believe you can get anyone on the ship that isnt listed on the cruise docs.

just saying

I thought the OP was booked in a regular cabin but it’s $3000 to add someone to the cabin, but the solo cabin is much cheaper so the friend is booking that instead.

i interpreted his post as  he is booked into a solo, it's $3,000 more to add his friend. regardless, i dont believe ncl will allow anyone else on board if they are not listed. how does he expect to get his friend on the ship, or check him/her in at the desk?

again, just saying, i dont think its as simple as he would like it to be.

3 hours ago, jules181 said:

I read this as person 2 has booked a studio but is not planning on using it. I seriously doubt OP would expect a non-booked person to be able to board the ship. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that the OP booked a solo balcony (which is what I booked 🙂 ) and her partner would end up in a solo cabin.  So OP wants an extra key card for the balcony cabin so that both could come and go as desired.

I think it is definitely a strong possibility that it won't be an issue.

• Like 1

To clarify, I have a solo balcony. 

My partner will be booked in a solo studio and we will both be "living" in the solo balcony. 

We fully intend to tell the cabin steward that the studio will be uninhabited and he doesn't have to clean it.  (Also for wellness check purposes) 

Thank you all, it sounds like a second key is quite routine. 

Edited by jules181
  • Like 2

It is routine.  Especially due to free at sea.  My husband and I often travel with a friend.  My friend and I both drink but my husband does not. So my friend and I book a cabin together and pay for the free at sea and gratuities while my husband doesn't. Then we just get a second key for my husband's cabin. 

On 9/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, jules181 said:

Go to guest services. It will not be a problem. As a suggestion wait and go late in the evening or first thing in the morning of the first full day to minimize time waiting in line. It’s also a good idea to tell the steward of the empty cabin, and maybe (your choice on this, neither expected nor required) provide a gratuity to him/her just as if you are staying in that cabin. 

On 9/13/2024 at 2:08 PM, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I was just shocked when I saw folks thinking the person wanted to bring someone on board that wasnt a paying pax...   Although I admit I've understood things totally wrong before also... Guess that's what makes it exciting lol

I had a similar thought.  Glad I could get it cleared up.  I'm an experienced cruiser and know that no one gets on the ship without their own cabin assignment.