The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 13th, 2024

Day two of rehab was nominally 3 1/2 hours starting at 8.

The Recreational Therapist was first and we talked about what I liked to do as well as an assessment of how confident I felt about doing some common activities.  She talked about an adaptation of yoga she teaches and also my cruise history, and came back later with a batch of Sodoku puzzles.

The latest email from Roy came in a little while ago.  It looks like he had a busy morning and early afternoon. 

The Occupational Therapist worked with me on the accessible shower and also took my clothes down to the OT laundry.

The name Speech Therapist is a bit of a misnomer; it seems to cover most everything the other categories do not.  Today it was mostly evaluating my memory and puzzle solving ability, and probably trying to build them up, with recalling a list of words, ever longer strings of numbers, and solving mazes, reproducing drawings, first looking at the original, and then from memory.

I had a 2-hour break for lunch.

The physical therapy was also a bit of OT, retrieving my laundry from the dryer, then working on negotiating curbs with the walker and also stairs although the walker is useless for that.

Free for the day at 2PM.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 21

Good afternoon, I have to start by saying heated seats are the best in my new car.  It's a non-plug in hybrid, and we love it!  Took a while to get used to the computer, but it's a great car!  The seats are great in winter, and, they help with achey backs and joints!! 

Our DGD likes to bake.  She's taken several decorating classes, and does a great job!  Haven't been to the port, and I'll take chocolate any day! 

Just got back from the fabric store, making a Football/Packers themed quilt for a young man that was just added to our church homebound list.  Next job is taking my my parent's large collection of Christmas ornaments to a resale shop that supports our church body.  Mom was so happy collecting those ornaments.  We all kept some and put them out at their funeral for everyone to take some.  We still ended up with too many to keep.  We're hoping someone else will get just as much enjoyment from them.  

Thanks for all of the news and caring here.  

@rafinmdI pray you're doing well today.

@JazzyVPraying that you feel better soon.

@dfishSo happy to hear that you had a good time with River!  Good that you're a support for her. 

@StLouisCruisersEnjoy your wedding!  Safe travels! 

Have a great evening!  K

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

I've just spent 20 minutes finding out how to, and then obtaining, a transcript of a podcast that I'm supposed to listen to for class. The podcast is 58 minutes long and could have been 15 minutes, if the speaker didn't carry on so much, so this was a good use of time.

I'm feeling less desperate to sleep. I may even get out to a grocery store.

• Like 27

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the recommendation update on Roy!  I’m thinking of the Toyota company again,  after my last two vehicles never needing anything except regular maintenance. 

@cat shepard  thanks for the recommendation.  Not sure if mine will be plug in or just a regular hybrid.   Laughing at the heated seats,  ours also have the ac and we use both.  We did have heated seats once in Hawaii and I was a wondering, but when we went up the mountain we were darn glad to have them at night! 

thanks @quilty964 what one did you get?  

• Like 20

Good afternoon everyone.  The truck is loaded and all my plants for 2025 plant sale fit.  I am wrapping up a double Pussers and diet Pepsi.  We just have to load the coolers and start defrosting the gas refrigerator.  @RMLincoln it is a learning process shutting down a property for the winter. Agree 100% with your comments.  One year my late husband didn't completely drain the hot water heater and we arrived on a Memorial Day weekend and our HWH had popped.  It takes time to get it right or the consequences are bad, especially living so far away from civilization. 

I hope @nicklepenny is on probation and not suffering an illness or injury. 

I am glad I am getting home soon.  My DS says my DB is depressed.  He is in the rehab.  We will both go in and lay down the law to him.  His immediate family are useful idiots.  I hope he doesn't give up.  Plus my DS has informed me all of my beds are full of weeds.  I put so much long acting Pgoid one. reen hoping this wouldn't happen.  Oh well, I am in shape now so I will get to it.  

Here is the back end of the pickup loaded with plants stacked chockablock.  Have a good one.  Nancy 

IMG_20240913_141759245_HDR.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, everyone!

I had a good workout at the gym this morning and then stopped to pick up a few items for dinner tonight.  DB Bill and DSIL Lauren are coming over for Farkle Friday.  DB Jeff is joining us tonight as a guest chef and making his world famous Reubens.  No one makes them as well as Jeff.  I picked up coleslaw and french fries to go with the sandwiches.  

I love my heated seats - bun warmers, we call them.  I also love my heated steering wheel.  I laughed at that option, but it is nice in the winter time.  I'm hoping I can get this car to last a long, long time.  It is almost 5 years old and has less than 30,000 miles on it.  Back when I was working I used to put that many miles on the car in one year.  

We are going back up to Tustin tomorrow for another soccer game and then we are going to take River to see her great grandmother, Sue's former MIL.  Despite the divorce, Sue and Virginia have remained good friends.  

@ottahand7 I hope all is ok with you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you, Lenda, for the latest update on Roy.  It sounds like he is making progress. 

Edited by dfish
  • Like 23
  • Haha 1

@bennybearWe have a 2023 Hyundai Tucson Blue.  I had a Toyota Rav 4 that was 15 years old, would have had another one, but when we were looking, there were no Hybrid Rav 4s to be found.  Our neighbor waited over a year to get a Rav 4 that  was promised to him...he never did get it.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from another sunny and warm day in Modesto, we’re sick of this heat but only in the low 90’s today, so can’t complain too much.

We’ve been to today’s port just once in 2014 on the Celebrity Solstice. I found a river tubing excursion online with port pickup so we signed up for it. We ended up waiting and waiting for the other three from the ship but they never did show up so we were off about an hour later than planned. Weird thing happened on the way, our van driver randomly pulled off the road into an area that looked like a bus transfer station, said he’d be right back, left the van running and off he went. Came back about 5 minutes later with his lunch that his son brought to him. Nice I guess, but we were afraid someone would jump in and kidnap us, lol. You never leave cars running here. The tubing location was sketchy but we still had a good time.

We often take our 4 year old granddaughter to preschool, she gets here about 7:45 and our daughter, Alex, then screeches off to work downtown barely making her 8:00 time. Our GD chills, has her toast, watches Paw Patrol, I fix her hair and let her put on lipstick and then announces to my husband, “ I’m ready to go to school Grandpa”. So today, we didn’t make it back from school until 9:15, but we got on our bikes and rode 5 miles. We’re trying to get in the habit again, husband is still building up strength and endurance after a 2022 lung infection causing a 10 month recouperation. But all seems to be good now!

We normally do takeout on Friday’s, but just wasn’t feeling it today so we ran to the store to get some chicken thighs on sale to put on the grill. Of course they were out, so I ended up getting a whole chicken and cutting it up. So grilled chicken, beans and corn on the cob. We’re still getting great corn here! 

Edited by ellbelle
Typo
  • Like 29

1 hour ago, quilty964 said:

Good afternoon, I have to start by saying heated seats are the best in my new car.  It's a non-plug in hybrid, and we love it!  Took a while to get used to the computer, but it's a great car!  The seats are great in winter, and, they help with achey backs and joints!! 

Our DGD likes to bake.  She's taken several decorating classes, and does a great job!  Haven't been to the port, and I'll take chocolate any day! 

Just got back from the fabric store, making a Football/Packers themed quilt for a young man that was just added to our church homebound list.  Next job is taking my my parent's large collection of Christmas ornaments to a resale shop that supports our church body.  Mom was so happy collecting those ornaments.  We all kept some and put them out at their funeral for everyone to take some.  We still ended up with too many to keep.  We're hoping someone else will get just as much enjoyment from them.  

Thanks for all of the news and caring here.  

@rafinmdI pray you're doing well today.

@JazzyVPraying that you feel better soon.

@dfishSo happy to hear that you had a good time with River!  Good that you're a support for her. 

@StLouisCruisersEnjoy your wedding!  Safe travels! 

Have a great evening!  K

It's nice you are donating the Christmas ornaments to the church resale shop.  It lets others enjoy the treasured ornaments while benefitting the church.  We have heated seats in two of our cars, and they are great on cold mornings before the car warms up enough to work.  

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the recommendation update on Roy!  I’m thinking of the Toyota company again,  after my last two vehicles never needing anything except regular maintenance. 

@cat shepard  thanks for the recommendation.  Not sure if mine will be plug in or just a regular hybrid.   Laughing at the heated seats,  ours also have the ac and we use both.  We did have heated seats once in Hawaii and I was a wondering, but when we went up the mountain we were darn glad to have them at night! 

thanks @quilty964 what one did you get?  

Brenda, our Prius is a non-plug in since it's older than plug ins.  We also had the first generation Prius, a 2001, which we sold to our younger DD.  Because it was so new, Toyota did a lot of the maintenance and replacements free which saved her a lot of money.  She only had one major expense.  She traded it in for a new car when it got hard and expensive to find parts.

47 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon everyone.  The truck is loaded and all my plants for 2025 plant sale fit.  I am wrapping up a double Pussers and diet Pepsi.  We just have to load the coolers and start defrosting the gas refrigerator.  @RMLincoln it is a learning process shutting down a property for the winter. Agree 100% with your comments.  One year my late husband didn't completely drain the hot water heater and we arrived on a Memorial Day weekend and our HWH had popped.  It takes time to get it right or the consequences are bad, especially living so far away from civilization. 

I hope @nicklepenny is on probation and not suffering an illness or injury. 

I am glad I am getting home soon.  My DS says my DB is depressed.  He is in the rehab.  We will both go in and lay down the law to him.  His immediate family are useful idiots.  I hope he doesn't give up.  Plus my DS has informed me all of my beds are full of weeds.  I put so much long acting Pgoid one. reen hoping this wouldn't happen.  Oh well, I am in shape now so I will get to it.  

Here is the back end of the pickup loaded with plants stacked chockablock.  Have a good one.  Nancy 

IMG_20240913_141759245_HDR.jpg

Nancy, it looks like you have quite a load in the truck.  I hope you and your DS can help your brother's mood and get him to start working on getting better.  After all this time, depression is understandable, but doesn't help recovery.

36 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

I had a good workout at the gym this morning and then stopped to pick up a few items for dinner tonight.  DB Bill and DSIL Lauren are coming over for Farkle Friday.  DB Jeff is joining us tonight as a guest chef and making his world famous Reubens.  No one makes them as well as Jeff.  I picked up coleslaw and french fries to go with the sandwiches.  

I love my heated seats - bun warmers, we call them.  I also love my heated steering wheel.  I laughed at that option, but it is nice in the winter time.  I'm hoping I can get this car to last a long, long time.  It is almost 5 years old and has less than 30,000 miles on it.  Back when I was working I used to put that many miles on the car in one year.  

We are going back up to Tustin tomorrow for another soccer game and then we are going to take River to see her great grandmother, Sue's former MIL.  Despite the divorce, Sue and Virginia have remained good friends.  

@ottahand7 I hope all is ok with you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you, Lenda, for the latest update on Roy.  It sounds like he is making progress. 

Debbie, I'm glad you are doing all you can to support River.  It's good that Sue and her former MIL stayed friends, so that she can see her great granddaughter.  Good luck tonight with Farkle.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Because of lack of both eggplant salad and inspiration, dinner tonight was a salad of cucumber, celery, yellow pepper, and cherry tomatoes, and a grilled-cheese sandwich.

Sans the yellow peppers, you dinner sounds fabulous!! Yummy 🥗🥳

• Like 9

The end of a hectic work week is finally here. 🥴 Seems the days have been starting earlier and ending later. Being 8 pm, I've got little interest in cooking dinner, so leftovers it is. Although, @kochleffel's salad & grilled cheese sounds good.

Yesterday (or was it Wed?) was a follow-up w/the Ortho for knee and shoulders. Got an injection in the left shoulder, nothing for the right one (keep doing what I'm doing and go in for a shot if it bothers me too bad), and surgery scheduled for the knee. It will be just shy of 2 weeks after we return from AK. Apologies if I already reported on the outcome of this appointment - I'm so frazzled from this week I may not even know my name, much less what I've posted 🤭

Prayers 🙏and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Because of lack of both eggplant salad and inspiration, dinner tonight was a salad of cucumber, celery, yellow pepper, and cherry tomatoes, and a grilled-cheese sandwich.

😉Lots of celery? m—

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• LauraS locked this topic