Something to be aware of if you are planning to swim with Sting Rays

miched

I receive Emails from this person who is an avid wild adventurer that does a lot of travel that involves stuff most would never do.   Here is an article about his unfortunate encounter with a Sting Ray.  

He is a mathematician that has a website about gambling that gives the odds and strategies on just about nothing or game you can think of.   He recently did one about playing Deal or No Deal on a Celebrity ship.  

https://wizardofodds.com/newsletter/sting-ray-encounter/

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I grew up on the coast and we always wore swim shoes in water as defense from crabs and rays.  My understanding is not all rays sting. .   I only once did a swim with the rays and noticed those in the vicinity had their tail ends removed.  And that is why I won’t go back. 

I learned my lesson about wearing water shoes when in Jamaica staying a a resort.   I went into the water for my wife to get a photo showing the sunset.   I was walking backwards per her directions and it felt as if I was stepping onto a broken glass bottle.  I immediately backed off.   When I got out of the water my foot looked as if I stepped on a pin cushion.   There were a lot of little black marks that looked like slivers.   I went to their medical department and I was told that I stepped on a sea urchin.  She said that I was lucky that I didn’t fully step on it as many do that ends up causing a lot of medical issues.  She gave me a salve to apply on my foot.  

That is very cruel about the tails being removed.    Personally I don’t get the fascination of swimming with them, dolphins, turtles, and yes even pigs, or riding on a swimming horse.  There is a reason that they put bags under the horse’s tail and I don’t want those apples floating around me.    I always think about the cowboy bandits riding away after robbing a bank.   They have to be easy to find as the horse always leaves a trail to follow.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm not able to come up with a reason I would want to swim with rays or pigs.  Not to say those who find an appeal shouldn't do it I guess.  At least the pigs don't sting you.    

As one who grew up in the water I saw no thrill with swimming with closeup dangerous wildlife.  DH, never having experience the thrill of punching a shark, wanted to do it.  He loved it but he is one of those who likes animals more than people 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2024 at 9:53 AM, Mary229 said:

I only once did a swim with the rays and noticed those in the vicinity had their tail ends removed.

Not sure why they would do this, as the stinger is not in the end of the tail, but at the base (where the tail meets the body) of the tail.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure why they would do this, as the stinger is not in the end of the tail, but at the base (where the tail meets the body) of the tail.

It was in Polynesia.  The tails were clearly cut and it was all of the “trained” rays. Who knows, they might not even be stinging rays?  Perhaps it disables them enough to keep them close by. 

Years ago, my husband and I did a ship excursion in Grand Cayman to Stingray city.  We were given food for the rays and hand-fed them.  I was surprised at how velvety the rays felt as they slipped pass our bodies during the feeding.  These were totally wild stingrays and very appreciative of the food.  My only caution:  You stand in waist-deep water and one family had a small child (maybe 4 years old) the dad was holding in his arms.  The poor little girl was absolutely terrified and screamed the whole time.  So, make sure this is something that your family will enjoy.