LIVE from Sun Princess Barcelona to Southampton September 14th-23rd

dides

If you have time and you feel like it… I have two requests…

I heard someone refer to the area on deck 9 by the Cabana Mini Suites as the highway to the buffet. This person said it was super busy especially in the morning. If you have time to pass through that area, would you please tell me what you think? 

Have they added the option to leave off the cheese on the chef salad on OceanNow? 

Day 2 ,- Palma

We opted to stay on the ship and relax today  We will eventually get to the proper Suite Breakfast but went for the door hanger option this time.

1000012167.thumb.jpg.778b43c9b3b9370f55c3a1765c71d1b4.jpg

It arrived hot and on time. The most awkward part was finding a surface to place the trays and then eating from it. No easily moveable side tables so we put our plates on some chairs at ate from there. Not great!

1000012109.thumb.jpg.120b6b45722b4d5f75e400982f8b0b79.jpg

1000012112.thumb.jpg.74b6c143a47ca07ab4525305dd456a48.jpg

After breakfast we went up to the Sanctuary - af 10am there were a handful of people in the Sun Deck area and that's all. We settled into the easy chairs in the shade as we aren't sun bunnies.  Had to wait a bit for drinks service as there was a crew drill going on.  Our view:

1000012121.thumb.jpg.b1311c3e9bbaeb3f43d60b9648c1fd83.jpg

The delightful Benni came over and we said we remembered her from our April visit when she told us she was leaving the ship in Southampton. She bought Mark the Sanctuary Manager over to us again and he said he was handing it over to a new manager once it arrived in FLL.

Some changes were expected in the Sanctuary:

- a new 'ring for Champagne' bell

- a new small buffet area on the other side from the bar to compliment the bento menu

- more loungers

- no more daily walk-ins

Later on more people started taking up more spaces around the pool and hot tubs

I also noticed some workmen setting up some scaffolding around Park 19.

1000012126.thumb.jpg.e11d8beb65bae623144f6d681e77557b.jpg

When it got a little too windy in our corner we went down to the Suite Lounge for a couple of hours. Very relaxing with attentive bar staff. 

Chris had much better hearing than me and overheard one of the Concierge Managers telling a passenger that they could not book them into the Crown Grill on the penultimate day of the cruise - the 22nd - because it was moving location.  Didn't think it was happening that soon so will try and find out more.

We came back to our suite for a nap then headed off to O'Malley's to grab a bench seat for our evening meal. We dressed smart but not flashy and didn't want to do the formal night thing.

1000012149.thumb.jpg.e05453ba0c5b4bcd904f8bbaba5e76e9.jpg

We swapped Starters this time - Chris had the Onion Stack and I had the Onion Soup. He loved the onion rings and I regretted not having them too.

1000012155.thumb.jpg.97de1259f08a8aad34f732ee5cadd584.jpg

1000012154.thumb.jpg.1f580ae9497fa1e1b51374619585a45e.jpg

For mains, Chris had the O'Malley"s Burger and I had the Steak, Ale and Mushroom Pie.

The burger and fries were good - I found the pie a bit strange with the gravy seemingly tomato based anf the fries should have been mash or new potatoes.

1000012160.thumb.jpg.7d1cc921417a330d22f5d348271db7d7.jpg

1000012158.thumb.jpg.9d023e8b01b59a248e0600050f18c4d1.jpg

We both had the Irish Apple Cake for dessert and it was tasty but heavy on the stomach!

1000012161.thumb.jpg.dbb9e9ec5d120fd876825215d719e549.jpg

The pub got very busy at times over the next 2-3 hours - we had some live music but it a male singer and not the Irish group.

Next we went to Good Spirits ,(spotting Chef Rudi en route) and Chris went through his top 3 drinks from their menu and we were there for one of the cocktail demos. That got really busy at times too   We ended the night next door watching karaoke until we hit the 2nd Sinatra song; Chris has overdone it a bit on the draft beers and cocktails and may well regret it tomorrow morning 🙂

To be continued

Edited by dides
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@dides  Will you be continuing on the September 23 Transatlantic sailing?  I'll be back onboard the Sun again on the 23rd.  I'm sure things have improved since the inaugural.  If you have time here are a couple of questions.  

(1)  Is Claudio back on board as the Director Of Restaurant Operations?  

(2)  Might you ask the Suite Lounge Concierges, if they know the schedule for moving all the restaurants to their new locations.  Wondering if that would be done before the TA, during the TA, or between the time it gets to FLL and it's first stateside revenue cruise.

(3)  Any information about what is going to happen to Park 19.  You mentioned seeing scaffolding being set-up.  Maybe someone would be willing to tell you what is going to be going up there.

Thanks.

Dr. J

10 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Well,  do tell...  How was the Rose!!!  

So so - a bit too strong for me.  But I am a lightweight with alcohol - prefer fruity vodka and rum based long cocktails. Am I wrong for getting this for the glass it comes in? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, dides said:

So so - a bit too strong for me.  But I am a lightweight with alcohol - prefer fruity vodka and rum based long cocktails. Am I wrong for getting this for the glass it comes in? 😉

I'm hoping they still have the glasses when we board in Dec!  I need a glass or 2 like that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

@dides  Will you be continuing on the September 23 Transatlantic sailing?  I'll be back onboard the Sun again on the 23rd.  I'm sure things have improved since the inaugural.  If you have time here are a couple of questions.  

(1)  Is Claudio back on board as the Director Of Restaurant Operations?  

(2)  Might you ask the Suite Lounge Concierges, if they know the schedule for moving all the restaurants to their new locations.  Wondering if that would be done before the TA, during the TA, or between the time it gets to FLL and it's first stateside revenue cruise.

(3)  Any information about what is going to happen to Park 19.  You mentioned seeing scaffolding being set-up.  Maybe someone would be willing to tell you what is going to be going up there.

Hi Dr J 

We are disembarking in Southampton - wish we could spare the time off work to do the TA!

Your answers -

1) Director of Restaurant Operations is Indeed Claudio

2) Suite Concierge position.is that certain dining venue changes will be done our of hours so as to avoid disruption to passengers. Some heavier renovations will need to be done at ports like Southampton and FLL. All will be completed for 14th Oct

3) Nothing much known about Park 19 other than they are dismantling it now and will be installing a full Sports Court

Will keep our eyes and ears open!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, happy42cruise said:

Also, if possible could you please post the ingredients in the Rose cocktail?

Absolut Elyx, Lemon, Strawberry. It's listed on this menu

20240914_1113002.thumb.JPG.a388e0397edac3c6932b154493c730d9.JPG

• Like 1

Hi @dides

Thanks for the thread.

I'm sure you know about it already but the best burger on board has to to be from the the Grill on deck 9 port side. Alex the Eastern European chef really cooks them with passion.

Last month I would always ask for cheese burger with no sauce, no lettuce, no tomato and no fries, so he got to know me well. He was one of the few crew I gave a commendation in the post cruise survey. 

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We get to keep the glass?

Nope. We think that some had found themselves into people's luggage however - hence me missing out on one on the April sailing. They had to use a standard martini glass then!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

I'm hoping they still have the glasses when we board in Dec!  I need a glass or 2 like that!

You get to keep the glass???

Oops, didn't see someone already asked that! 🙂

Edited by Coffeeluvr05

Thank you so much for taking the time from your vacay to post this!  We are booked on the October 19th sailing in a S9.  I think someone has already asked but if you can post pics of the area where the suite restaurant is being moved to that would be so appreciated!  

Wishing you the best cruise!

Day 3 - Cartagena

Patter for today:

1000012176.thumb.jpg.35efda57727d0a1202b82128b2705fb8.jpg

1000012178.thumb.jpg.4afcd1b923e9f728de5b51073bb6083f.jpg

1000012182.thumb.jpg.006bd54a8108afdd6b7d69237766f2a5.jpg

We elected to stay onboard again - Chris wants to rest his feet after developing a big blister so we are taking it easy.

We had the Suite breakfast by door hanger again. Bang on time but my order included a grapefruit half which I did not request and cannot eat

I had only asked for one type of melon which I did get - the room service delivery guy came back 5 minutes later with 2 more types of melon as an apology and to make sure I was happy!

After breakfast we went up to the Sanctuary again - it was much hotter today and even our shadier seating felt exposed. Chris had spotted a UK vlogger couple around the corner on a big Sun Deck day bed so I popped around for a natter as we followed each other. They had been upgraded to an Owners Suite a week before the sailing and said it was amazing!

I went back after 40 minutes and Chris was snoozing away and knocked out by the heat. However he said it had been really noisy with workmen cutting and grinding while dismantling Park 19. 

He also said he spotted someone settling into a Cabana!

Oh I did ask one of the Sanctuary wait staff if they were getting in any umbrellas to provide more shade and they said it wouldn't work as it's too exposed to the wind. He did say the sun changes position as you could move to a different lounger - I think that might lead to some fisticuffs lol

Next we went down.the Suite Lounge to cool down a bit. Although I did have a comforting hot chocolate! We noticed the nibbles on the bar hadn't changed ,- the Suite Concierge said the sweet bites stay the same but they do try and swap in some local themed food depending on the port. e.g. hummus. As it is there is only around half a dozen choices and it's not as extensive as the Royal Class offerings.

1000012187.thumb.jpg.9062661747eacb86db5737fcdd017b30.jpg

1000012188.thumb.jpg.4cc1fd911d0d3686b1cf1196debfc361.jpg

1000012191.thumb.jpg.3b4033001d1f1a77c1d821bc2458b419.jpg

1000012196.thumb.jpg.43e116c01a628105e469cf4f8bc1e295.jpg

1000012194.thumb.jpg.8056c824034735fed76793de11ae5f2d.jpg

I also needed to change our Sabatinis booking to a slot 2 days later and the Suite Concierge was able to do that in.a few minutes without me having to fiddle with the app. Which showed no availability of course!

We went back to our stateroom for a shower and a nap. Love the showers in the suites - so roomy with a great power wand! 

We decided we didn't like the look of the Signature Restaurant menu so headed to Alfredo's instead for an early dinner.

Sun Princess has a very different Alfredo's menu to the rest of the fleet:

1000012199.thumb.jpg.233644be4ce017dc81320a9a47d7cfba.jpg

1000012200.thumb.jpg.aec3d69f310480f79053806e6c11da70.jpg

1000012198.thumb.jpg.3fd80dbc20854efd6e68ae0a4f99968b.jpg

I love their mozzarella so opted for this as a starter. Then we had the same pizza we usually go for - Pepperoni for Chris and Tara Tina without mussels for me. For dessert, Chris went for Torta Caprese and had the Cannoli. 

a06c901f-e7b3-4cb9-960e-b7ba9c4bf27d-1_all_59888.thumb.jpg.3e37690abff91d07944803b2fc0d5f46.jpg

1000012207.thumb.jpg.4b21173bc79bf7d3ba13533393214059.jpg

1000012206.thumb.jpg.a96cad7a344a46f7f4d22de555b70a9f.jpg

1000012212.thumb.jpg.db9468798ab75ed30e93bc652f6eb01e.jpg

1000012210.thumb.jpg.22cb0bcfac1db9a2e6cdcfc6ba9e4c1d.jpg

The pizzas were tasty and very filling. The desserts were a bit of a miss though. - prefer the tiramisu and apple thing they do on the other ships.

By 6:15om  we had decamped to Crooners for some cocktails and to listen to the piano man. Yes he played Piano Man too.

1000012215.thumb.jpg.9d16cf6c6f26d4b1a14a7389858a3afd.jpg

1000012224.thumb.jpg.a836c8ce083ca1cd34695eb8ec2eb1bf.jpg

It was rammed. I was happy to get my favourite cocktail as an off-menu request - the Flamingo. Although the first one they gave was green and the second one red - the second one was the best!

1000012218.thumb.jpg.9ae3badf96b846cecac2dc9918e983b2.jpg

By this time we had moved down to a sofa overlooking the piazza so we could watch the Yes No game show.  It was enjoyable as usual although I think Corinne and Niamh could have done a bit better with their line of questioning.

1000012230.thumb.jpg.d90bd940371c7e42a990b91871c9ad77.jpg

We then went to Princess Live! for the rest of the evening where we watched the 10 in 60 game show, a male UK comedian called Tucker (bit old fashioned but provided  some laughs) and then joined up with another couple Vinnie and Tena (who is on cc) for a fun Classic Rock Trivia. We got 39 out of 40 but there were 4 teams with 40! Niamh the ACD did an excellent job with the rock songs and stopping spoilers.

To be continued.

Edited by dides
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Enjoyed reading your live from, we are also currently onboard, but sailing in a balcony room, so a different experience to those of you enjoying the Suite life.  Hope you don’t mind if I just add a couple of things we have experienced. 

I am a “reluctant” Sun Princess cruiser,  but my DH really wanted to try the new Sphere Class.  Our first cruise was on Sun Princess for our honeymoon in 2003, 30+ Princess cruises later, here we are again.

Some of the things I was worried about before sailing, were the ship is too big and too many people.  I have been very pleasantly surprised in this respect. 
only been on for a few days.  Each day we have had breakfast in the main dining room,  around 8:30, no wait for a table for 2.  Service has been quick and attentive.

One thing I noted is the menu is smaller, and it says you need to order your “pastries” I asked the waiter if that meant there was no longer a server walking around with the trays, and was told that was now only on sea days.  Sea day today, so will see if that is the case.  However, yesterday there were pastries (as they serve the bread in the evening), already on the table. 

MDR lunch on embarkation day was good.

Alfredos day 2 1pm, no wait seated straight away, Pizza was far better than it had been on Sky a few months ago. 
Yesterday we tried The Eatery, again,prime time around 1pm,  no issue at all getting a table.  I only visited one station and was impressed by the system of being served.  2 fellow pax dithering ahead of me, I would have been caught behind them, but there were 3 servers behind the station. So I could request rice, popadum and chicken curry, and be on my way before they had decided what they wanted. 

Then moved to International cafe for 2 coffees, again, got a seat without issue and were quickly served at the counter.  I can’t remember the last cruise that that has been the case.

later that afternoon we moved down to Bellinis as it was cool, and thanks to the Sphere bright and airy.  It was quiet many empty tables and service quick.  

in the evenings we have opted for traditional 7:30 dining, our wait team are lovely, positioning of our table, less than desirable, and the food underwhelming.  Nothing wrong with it, just boring.  Our plan tonight is to see if they have a table available at the back of the MDR with the “views” to hopefully improve our dining experience. 

Last night we went to Umai Teppanyaki, we loved it.

I feel the design of this ship really seems to swallow up people, other than twice last night, we have not experienced queues or congestion anywhere.  I am very pleasantly surprised by this. 
first was Crooners before dinner, standing room only and drink service was 20 minutes (which is nothing to Sky experience last 2 cruises) 

the queue for the Dome for the show was long, too long for us to want to wait in.  So we went to Good Spirits.  Got a table but No drink, one server when it’s a demonstration time slot, seemed a bit ludicrous.

into the Arena, seats were still available when the 10pm show started. 

Our balcony stateroom is perfect for us, I didn’t think I would, but I love the new layout.  The balcony size a vast improvement on the Royal class ships. 

Am I converted to Sphere class, No not yet.  I could be by the end of the cruise.  The issue for me is I don’t feel like I am sailing on Princess.  I have this strange feeling of, wanting to go back to Princess.  It seems the older I get the less willing I am to accept change. 

also, regarding Rudi, he is on board doing photos for a new Cook book, I met him yesterday he was very nice. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3