Which river next for 2025 - Moselle or Elbe?

Bake apple

We have happily cruised several times up and down the Rhine,  Danube and once on the  Rhone.  We have enjoyed all the excursions and short stays in Budapest, Amsterdam, Avignon and Lyon. Now we are ready to book for late spring / early summer in 2025. CC Members recommend the Elbe or the Moselle. Although we expect good food, wines, service and a comfortable stateroom, our main intersted is and has aways been our ports of call.  We travel to Europe to see/walk around the  towns, enjoy the culture, try local foods and happy to do all these with fellow travellers. We had to do a ship swap in June of this year but it was not a big inconveniece because the 2 hour bus ride to the next ship gave us a chance to see other parts of Germany.  So, which next?  Love to have your thoughts and ideas.  Safe travels everyone.

My first thought is that Elbe is more likely to have water level problems. 

Does the Elbe itinerary have pre/post stays in Berlin and Prague? Combining these cities with Dresden makes for a great trip. 
That said, I wouldn’t think twice about repeating the Mosel cruise we did several years ago. Trier is a gem and visiting the American cemetery in Luxembourg was a very special experience for me. Then there are the small towns among the vineyards that are also special. 

Outside of Viking I am not aware of anyone else offering trips on the Elbe at present, at least marketed to the North American market. Their offering is a 9 night / 10 day package with 2 nights hotel either end and a 5 night cruise. There is a Christmas market version of the standard offering. You can start in Berlin and end in Prague or reverse. 

There are a larger number of cruise lengths, itinerary patterns and cruise lines for the Moselle, with offerings continuing to change/expand year over year. 

Why not do one for 2025 and one for 2026 🤩

25 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Outside of Viking I am not aware of anyone else offering trips on the Elbe at present, at least marketed to the North American market.

CroisiEurope has been doing the Elbe even longer than Viking, and their paddlewheel vessels can sail in low-water conditions somewhat better than Viking.  They are French, but they do market to North Americans.

Historically many, many, Elbe cruises have tended to be cancelled or turned into bus tours due to low water – this year's flooding is the first I can recall since I started following this forum.  But it just reenforces the point that the Elbe is one of the least reliable cruising rivers in Europe.

I would steer OP to the Moselle – either an Amsterdam to Basel cruise that diverts up and back along the Moselle for scenic sailing and interesting port stops, or (since you have already visited Amsterdam) one that starts in Paris with a TGV to Luxembourg to board the ship to start with a scenic cruise down [up, on the map] the Moselle.

OR – the Douro.  Completely different:  only daytime sailing so you get the scenic cruising that the brochures promise; Portugal is a lovely country with great food and wine, and lovely people.  The rare cruise that I can imagine doing again, since even without shore excursions it is such a lovely sail!

• Like 1

Hard decision, as both rivers deserve a sailing.
Elbe cruises are usually marketed Berlin - Prague (or the other way round). Neither city is located on the Elbe and cruise companies handle that differently. So take a close look into the itinerary published and read between the lines too. Marketing departments can be very creative. Viking, Croisieurope and occasionally some british companies sail the river. Viking cruise only part of that relation and do some bussing. Croisi sail all the way, using canals and the Moldova, if they can... There is plenty of culture in the east of Germany. Also the Elbe in Germany is the longest free flowing river in Europe, giving a unique natural environment. And, of course more risk of too much or not enough water. Though late spring is a good bet here.
On the Moselle there is a wider choice of cruise lines. Also more combinations with other rivers possible (and necessary, the navigable part of the Moselle is not that long). Mostly flowing through hills, so always scenery on both banks (the Elbe in the northern part is flat) and also plenty of culture, dating back to Roman times. Wine growing area all the way, so autumn is the better season with foliage and plenty of wine festivals along the river. 

• Like 1

Plenty to see and do along both rivers. Being on the opposite sites of the country they differ in culture and dialect. The main difference is that on the Elbe there is no Roman history.

On the Moselle, make sure to include Trier, but if I went I would choose an itinerary that starts in Remich or ends there. On the Elbe, Berlin is a big draw which is actually on the Spree and the Havel, but is normally the starting or end point as it is convenient for the airport. As AnhalterER1960 has hinted at, Viking has the shorter itineraries, they cannot sail to Berlin. For the Elbe there is now also Viva Cruises. They are German and cater to the international market. Have a look here: https://www.viva-*****/en/reise/citytrip-von-prag-nach-berlin

Nota Bene: all ships on the Elbe are smaller than on the Moselle (unless it is a bike&barge cruise) as the river's nature dictates it. The Moselle is canalized and lock controlled (but retains the beauty of a meandering, free-flowing river).

Have fun planning.

notamermaid