Retreat question

21 minutes ago, Lilly55 said:

I think it has always been some regulars prepared to pay extra and others have not.

As you are no doubt aware - no line is fully inclusive - there will always be extras that can be purchased be it Spa / Revenue Wines / paid additional excursions / special dinners.

On this board more people lean towards the view they should pay extra but when onboard I find lots of regulars very happy to pay for extras and feel receive value for money 😀

Obviously meant to say more people lean towards the view they should NOT have to pay extra 😀

2 hours ago, Mahogany said:

With all these positive posts, sounds like Seabourn regulars have changed their minds about paying extra on their "inclusive" voyages.

We have always paid extra for excursions and at least some of them have been so excellent as to add immensely to our experience.  We have not paid extra for other things on a cruise.  Up until now, we had not considered booking The Retreat.  We have taken mostly cold weather cruises as we live in a hot climate and like to escape.  When both Markham and Galeforce had good things to say about The Retreat, by viewpoint softened a bit and now we are game to try it on our next warm weather cruise.  When will that be?  I do not know.  We are not comfortable booking way far ahead as many of you do.  There are just too many variables in our life right now to do that.  We just cancelled a land trip planned last January for late October.  I was very disappointed to have to cancel, but thrilled for the reason.  We have a new grandson who will be arriving and we need to be free to go and meet him for the first time.  So--The Retreat IS something we want to at least try.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I never meant to imply that we Seabourn regulars do not choose to pay for extras like the Spa, upgraded wine, and expeditions. It was just the Retreat in the past has earned a reputation from some as elitest, an adjective not usually associated with Seabourn. But it's understandable that in warm weather, the pool may be crowded and noisy (lounge hog alert!), and passengers may be looking for a place other than their balcony with privacy and pampering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I never meant to imply that we Seabourn regulars do not choose to pay for extras like the Spa, upgraded wine, and expeditions. It was just the Retreat in the past has earned a reputation from some as elitest, an adjective not usually associated with Seabourn. But it's understandable that in warm weather, the pool may be crowded and noisy (lounge hog alert!), and passengers may be looking for a place other than their balcony with privacy and pampering.

I do think The Retreat goes against the longtime ethos of Seabourn--equal amenities and treatment for all guests no matter their suite choice.  BUT, with all the changes and sometimes the lack of a comfortable serene place to dine for lunch, I could be convinced.  

• Like 1

We booked a full cruise while in Norway last year.  One or two days were impossible due to weather most days we bundled up (blankets provided).  All in all we throughly enjoyed the environment and service.  That big spa credit came in handy on the days we couldn’t actually use the Retreat much.

We thought it was a decent value and would book again should we sail Encore or Ovation.

• Like 3

Passengers have always been allowed to pay extra for better location suites and for larger suites.   Seabourn has just made it possible for passengers to pay for more outdoor space.    Any passenger can book the retreat, from the highest category suite to the lowest “so called” suite.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Passengers have always been allowed to pay extra for better location suites and for larger suites.   Seabourn has just made it possible for passengers to pay for more outdoor space.    Any passenger can book the retreat, from the highest category suite to the lowest “so called” suite.   

We have been quite pleased with what you call the lowest "so called suite".  It has always met our needs for as much as a month long cruise.  Some people really do require more space--but to each his own.  The basic veranda is perfect for us.  

• Like 2

Our first SB cruise is in a fortnight. After closely following the discussions here about cheap wine, sun bed hogs, and crowded lunches for several weeks, I seriously began to question the decision to cruise on SB. 

While it may be possible that I have fallen victim to the sunk-cost fallacy, reserving The Retreat for the entire cruise seemed a neat way to sidestep a significant portion of the issues.

I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue of the "zoo" during lunch on embarkation day, as a few of you described it. Does anyone know if The Retreat is fully operational on embarkation day?

If not, I will likely follow the strategy suggested by some of you: go for lunch somewhere else and board later.

The Retreat is all about "Enhancing on board Revenues" the latest Mantra from Seattle. Best avoided IMHO.

Here's the next idea. Seabourn Golden Club Class

1 Convert Two decks into GC class suites. Have a special gold card to gain entry to the floors. Furnish luxuriously.

2 The Retreat for GC class passengers only.

3 Screen off part of the MDR for exclusive use. Solis for GC class only.

4 A special wine list called VSOP for GC class only.

5 Encourage Tipping to all customer facing staff.. Anything less than $50 would be considered derisory. 

6 Many other "enhancements" that completely undermine Seabourn's brand positioning and concept.

The good folk at the Queens Grill on Cunard have plenty of experience in these matters so a little cross Carnival fertilization would do the trick.

I will now remove my tongue from my cheek. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, —BW said:

Our first SB cruise is in a fortnight. After closely following the discussions here about cheap wine, sun bed hogs, and crowded lunches for several weeks, I seriously began to question the decision to cruise on SB. 

While it may be possible that I have fallen victim to the sunk-cost fallacy, reserving The Retreat for the entire cruise seemed a neat way to sidestep a significant portion of the issues.

I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue of the "zoo" during lunch on embarkation day, as a few of you described it. Does anyone know if The Retreat is fully operational on embarkation day?

If not, I will likely follow the strategy suggested by some of you: go for lunch somewhere else and board later.

We have found that going to lunch on the veranda of the Colonnade on embarkation day and ordering from the menu has not been a zoolike experience.  We usually board around 12:30 or so and have found seats available on the Veranda when we board.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adoctor said:

The Retreat is all about "Enhancing on board Revenues" the latest Mantra from Seattle. Best avoided IMHO.

Here's the next idea. Seabourn Golden Club Class

1 Convert Two decks into GC class suites. Have a special gold card to gain entry to the floors. Furnish luxuriously.

2 The Retreat for GC class passengers only.

3 Screen off part of the MDR for exclusive use. Solis for GC class only.

4 A special wine list called VSOP for GC class only.

5 Encourage Tipping to all customer facing staff.. Anything less than $50 would be considered derisory. 

6 Many other "enhancements" that completely undermine Seabourn's brand positioning and concept.

The good folk at the Queens Grill on Cunard have plenty of experience in these matters so a little cross Carnival fertilization would do the trick.

I will now remove my tongue from my cheek. 

You are not describing anything remotely similar to Cunard’s Queens Grill.   Experience in other lines “ship within a ship” would more directly relate to your list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, —BW said:

The Retreat is not operational on embarkakation day. It is open for viewing in the afternoon with one crew member answering any questions and taking bookings.

sure you will a great time there 😀

Thank you very much, Lilly55. That is really helpful!

If the weather is nice on embarkation day, you will probably find us having lunch on the veranda of the Colonnade — with something cool — as suggested by SLSD and Lincslady. Thanks both!

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

The weather plays a big part - lunch outside on embarkation day always seems a treat;  much less so if you have to be inside.  Sitting in the sun with that first glass of something cool is to be recommended.

I agree.  But dining indoors in the Colonnade is a no go for us.  We did not do that one single tme in July/August on Sojourn.  It's either outdoors there or not at all.  And yes, the weather has to be decent.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lilly55 said:

The Retreat is not operational on embarkakation day. It is open for viewing in the afternoon with one crew member answering any questions and taking bookings.

sure you will a great time there 😀

This is not true on 7 day turnaround cruises eg in the med. We paid for the cruise and lunched there on embarkation day. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

This is not true on 7 day turnaround cruises eg in the med. We paid for the cruise and lunched there on embarkation day. 

Can only say in all the times I have have booked full cruises (been on both Encore in Asia this year and Ovation in med)  staff not in Retreat on Embarkation day ( other than one showing in afternoon) and def did not happen on our 30 day ( 3 x 10 days in July) on Ovation

I called Seabourn several weeks ago and talked to a representative. The representative advised the retreat was open on embarkation day for use as I had paid for a plan.  This is for an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Ovation in January.

Maybe the representative did not have correct info to tell me? Who knows.

5 hours ago, branndie said:

I called Seabourn several weeks ago and talked to a representative. The representative advised the retreat was open on embarkation day for use as I had paid for a plan.  This is for an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Ovation in January.

Maybe the representative did not have correct info to tell me? Who knows.

I still do not think this is correct for Ovation.
I am friends with both Hotel Directors on Ovation and have discussed this topic with them in the past and again in July. 

The staff member does not even go to the Retreat until 1pm on embarkation day as that is the time it is advertised for viewing in the Herald.

I am on for the Transatlantic and Carribean in November. We shall see 😀