Insurance Nasty Surprise!

Having previously insured with a certain company for 9 cruises I was less than pleased to find that now that I'm 80yo they won't insure me for our December cruise. Their online estimator gives a pop up notice that they are unable to give an online quote to anyone 80 or older, but they don't say anything about not insuring at all. It is only when you phone for a quote that they refuse you when they find you are over 80. On complaining they did 2 things, 1st they referred me to the  usual list of conditions, and then tried to sell me a policy with a company I have never heard of !!! Now by the rules of this forum I'm not allowed to name the company, but we still wish to INSURE ourselves and GO on our cruise. Any advice re an Insurance company for our age category will be welcomed.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Having previously insured with a certain company for 9 cruises I was less than pleased to find that now that I'm 80yo they won't insure me for our December cruise. Their online estimator gives a pop up notice that they are unable to give an online quote to anyone 80 or older, but they don't say anything about not insuring at all. It is only when you phone for a quote that they refuse you when they find you are over 80. On complaining they did 2 things, 1st they referred me to the  usual list of conditions, and then tried to sell me a policy with a company I have never heard of !!! Now by the rules of this forum I'm not allowed to name the company, but we still wish to INSURE ourselves and GO on our cruise. Any advice re an Insurance company for our age category will be welcomed.

Wait til you’re 85 like my hubby! However very happy with the company who COVER him MORE than others! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Hi Russell. I had a quick google search and there are several companies listed who will insure over 80s. I did a dummy quote just to be sure.

Anyway, here is the link:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cruise+travel+insurance+for+over+80s+australia

I'm certainly not over 80, but I have used two of the companies listed in the past. Haven't had to make a claim, so not sure how they perform in that area. However, if one of them seems to be a good fit, google who underwrites them if you haven't actually heard of the insurance company concerned as you will probably have heard of the underwriters. Whilst on line reviews can often be a whinge fest, read some reviews before applying for a quote if that will make you feel more comfortable.

• Like 3

Yes, I got the same nasty surprise, and I'm younger than you.  I then trawled through about ten different travel insurance websites, looking for the best one that would cover an ancient person like me.  If you search under Travel Insurance for Seniors, you can find the cut off ages for different companies.

• Like 3

Insurance companies hate insuring risks.

BTW, it is quite OK to criticise or praise travel insurance companies. The ONE that COVERs me for most trips doesn't like insuring older passengers either. Our plan is to get our cruise travel over and done while we can afford the insurance.

And even for us younger ones, check out the fine print for if you have to change travel plans because of illness or the passing of an elderly family member.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, dizzy1948 said:

Same here - and also recommended by the Cruise Line. 

I got all the quotes from them, then rang them up and asked for discount and they knocked $150 off price

• Like 4

Well, since we're allowed to say........... Cover More and Fast Cover. Using the latter for our next cruise as it was actually cheaper. Fast Cover has an age limit of 99.

• Like 4

One of us is over 80 plus both of us having pre existing medical conditions we wish to cover. I’m someone that reads all the fine print, amazing what hides in those T&C !

All our recent cruises in the last 5 years we have insured with Allianz. They continually prove to be very competitively priced. Our cruises are expensive so that ups the price for cancellation. But you never know how good a travel insurance is until you have to use it. 

Twice, in the last few years we've unfortunately had to cancel after full payment and just before sailing due to unforeseen medical conditions. Both times we filled in the online form, emailed them all the relevant paper work and received email confirmation that they would get back to us in 10 working days which they did. One time they asked for more information and again they were back in touch within 10 working days. Both claims which were not insignificant in terms of cost  were  paid out with no problems.

Based on our experience I have insured with them for all our next 3 cruises and will continue to do so for as long as they will still insure us.

Hope  this helps. It doesn’t have to necessarily be with Allianz direct, as long as the underlining insurance company is them. We used Worldcare a couple of times as it was a touch cheaper. Lately that hadn’t been the case so now we go direct to Allianz. 

Just to add, that’s it worth checking to see if they are offering a discount. Last time I bought an insurance from them it was 15%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting by how much the prices of insurance (yes, with the same in/exclusions) fluctuate between insurance companies. 

By FAR the most expensive I found was a product from that NSW roadside assistance organisation. I shouldn't be surprised. Their quote for a car insurance was also twice as expensive as the nearest competitor. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sanne said:

One of us is over 80 plus both of us having pre existing medical conditions we wish to cover. I’m someone that reads all the fine print, amazing what hides in those T&C !

All our recent cruises in the last 5 years we have insured with Allianz. They continually prove to be very competitively priced. Our cruises are expensive so that ups the price for cancellation. But you never know how good a travel insurance is until you have to use it. 

Twice, in the last few years we've unfortunately had to cancel after full payment and just before sailing due to unforeseen medical conditions. Both times we filled in the online form, emailed them all the relevant paper work and received email confirmation that they would get back to us in 10 working days which they did. One time they asked for more information and again they were back in touch within 10 working days. Both claims which were not insignificant in terms of cost  were  paid out with no problems.

Based on our experience I have insured with them for all our next 3 cruises and will continue to do so for as long as they will still insure us.

Hope  this helps. It doesn’t have to necessarily be with Allianz direct, as long as the underlining insurance company is them. We used Worldcare a couple of times as it was a touch cheaper. Lately that hadn’t been the case so now we go direct to Allianz. 

Just to add, that’s it worth checking to see if they are offering a discount. Last time I bought an insurance from them it was 15%.

That’s really good to hear. Have used them for my last two cruises. 

11 hours ago, buchhalm said:

It is interesting by how much the prices of insurance (yes, with the same in/exclusions) fluctuate between insurance companies. 

By FAR the most expensive I found was a product from that NSW roadside assistance organisation. I shouldn't be surprised. Their quote for a car insurance was also twice as expensive as the nearest competitor. 

Yes, even with the member 'discount'!!

11 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Underwritten by IAG, they also do the Qantas badged product. Considerably more expensive, but at first look the pre-existing medical stuff seemed a bit more relaxed than other policies.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

at first look the pre-existing medical stuff seemed a bit more relaxed than other policies.

Yes, that was one of the deciding factors for me when I chose the Qantas travel insurance. All my pre-existing medical stuff was covered without paying extra.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 10:48 AM, cruiser3775 said:

Yes, that was one of the deciding factors for me when I chose the Qantas travel insurance. All my pre-existing medical stuff was covered without paying extra

That's lucky! We have pre existings that always hike the price up (including Qantas)

Looks like I need to get a lot more cruises in before I can't  afford "seniors" insurance!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

That's lucky! We have pre existings that always hike the price up (including Qantas)

Looks like I need to get a lot more cruises in before I can't  afford "seniors" insurance!!

I'd read on cruise critic about insurance premiums going up at 80, so had a serious year of travel prior to 80.  .  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I'd read on cruise critic about insurance premiums going up at 80, so had a serious year of travel prior to 80.  .  

Yep they do ad even more so when you hit 85! But it’s so hard to stop travelling 😁😁😁😁 however we need to at least keep going to visit family 🤣

• Like 3

My pet peeve, I have existing medical conditions but they are well managed with medications and have not caused any issues in the last 15  years but I still have to pay the exorbitant premium.

That’s my whinge for the day lol.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

My pet peeve, I have existing medical conditions but they are well managed with medications and have not caused any issues in the last 15  years but I still have to pay the exorbitant premium.

My husband is the healthiest 85 yr old around but alas the main feature is that date on his birth certificate!!! 😁

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Cbtours said:

My husband is the healthiest 85 yr old around but alas the main feature is that date on his birth certificate!!! 😁

Yep. One size fits all mind set.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Agreed!

• Like 2