Weird Visa notice from HAL

On the Welcome Back email I received about an upcoming HAL cruise, there was this notice:

VISA(S) ARE REQUIRED

One or more visas are REQUIRED for someone in your party.

We encourage you to confirm which visa(s) with our partner

CIBTvisas that can help you secure these for a fee.

Visit CIBTvisas website

(Mind you, this is a Caribbean cruise, and we are both US citizens.)

Why would visas be required for either of us???

Edited by mightycruisequeen

I am going on a HAL cruise in November. One of the stops is in the DR. I have not received an email from HAL regarding needing a visa, but I have just gone onto the state department website and it says tourist visas "not required for visits shorter than 30 days"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did two trips to the Dominican Republic this year, both on land.  We had to apply for a visa for each trip (Canadians).  It was all done online and was free. Very quick and easy. 

After doing more research, it appears there are visas and tourist cards, which are different. Tourist cards are required for all visitors, including US citizens, if arriving by air, but not if just visiting for a day while on a cruise as cruise passengers are deemed 'in transit'.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRLD said:

What ports?

Half Moon Cay,

Amber Cove, Dominican Republic,

San Juan,Puerto Rico,

Tortola, British Virgin Islands,

St. Maarten,

Antigua,

Dominica,

St. Lucia,

Barbados,

Grenada,

Tobago,

Bonaire,

Aruba,

Ocho Rios, Jamaica,

Grand Cayman

Key West

I'm not thinking any of these ports require VISA for US citizens.

9 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Beginning January 8, 2025, US citizens (and others, including Canada) will require a UK ETA.  I am guessing your arrival in the BVI’s is not before this date.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Beginning January 8, 2025, US citizens (and others, including Canada) will require a UK ETA.  I am guessing your arrival in the BVI’s is not before this date.

We'll visit Tortola BVI on Jan 9, 2025.  Can you post a link to where you found this info?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Half Moon Cay,

Amber Cove, Dominican Republic,

San Juan,Puerto Rico,

St. Maarten,

Antigua,

Dominica,

St. Lucia,

Barbados,

Grenada,

Tobago,

Bonaire,

Aruba,

Ocho Rios, Jamaica,

Grand Cayman

Key West

I'm not thinking any of these ports require VISA for US citizens.

I was wondering if the French ports such as St Maarten and the Dutch ports like Aruba might be planning to follow the EU when it puts ESTA into place. Or maybe BVI is following the UK with their new requirements next year.

The UK is starting their ETA requirement on April 2, 2025.

Edited by TRLD

4 hours ago, Daisyloo said:

We did two trips to the Dominican Republic this year, both on land.  We had to apply for a visa for each trip (Canadians).  It was all done online and was free. Very quick and easy. 

How long were your visits? According to the Travel.gc.ca website, "Tourist visa: not required for up to 30 days."

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

How long were your visits? According to the Travel.gc.ca website, "Tourist visa: not required for up to 30 days."

Both of our visits were for one week each. One was in February and the other in April.  I used the term visa, but maybe it was called something else?  But I know it had to be done before the flight there, as the airline was checking to make sure everyone had done it.

6 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

Both of our visits were for one week each. One was in February and the other in April.  I used the term visa, but maybe it was called something else?  But I know it had to be done before the flight there, as the airline was checking to make sure everyone had done it.

I found this https://eticket.migracion.gob.do. It may be what you had to do as you were flying in.

1 hour ago, mightycruisequeen said:

We'll visit Tortola BVI on Jan 9, 2025.  Can you post a link to where you found this info?  Thanks!

Gosh, it’s hard to post on CC, these days, with the constant “the server not responding”!!!

So, I mistakenly assumed that, since it’s an overseas territory, the BVI’s would come under the new UK ETA requirements.  However, I am now wondering if HAL is assuming that too, given no one knows!  😂

I’m beginning to think it’s kind of false-positive notification as when I input the parameters in your link, the DR returns a hit saying a visa is required, but when you scroll down the page it says visa exempt.  Who knows.  🤷‍♀️

Here is the link I had originally been referencing, which you had requested:

UK ETA

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

The UK is starting their ETA requirement on April 2, 2025.

I see a date of January 8, 2025:

IMG_2712.thumb.jpeg.e62f98499ec0e7e68a1a787a8b5e4c87.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Gosh, it’s hard to post on CC, these days, with the constant “the server not responding”!!!

So, I mistakenly assumed that, since it’s an overseas territory, the BVI’s would come under the new UK ETA requirements.  However, I am now wondering if HAL is assuming that too, given no one knows!  😂

I’m beginning to think it’s kind of false-positive notification as when I input the parameters in your link, the DR returns a hit saying a visa is required, but when you scroll down the page it says visa exempt.  Who knows.  🤷‍♀️

Here is the link I had originally been referencing, which you had requested:

UK ETA

I see a date of January 8, 2025:

IMG_2712.thumb.jpeg.e62f98499ec0e7e68a1a787a8b5e4c87.jpeg

I used the final fully implemented date. US comes earlier.

I got the same notice on an upcoming Circle Japan cruise (with a stop in Korea). Having played this game before, I checked out Japanese & Korean government websites and found there was no requirement for US citizens to have visas in either place.

HAL lays off their visa business to CIBT who is almost always much more expensive and often more difficult than going through the issuing (government) authority. There are exceptions, usually when you need multiple visas for one cruise and have to physically get them from consulates far from where you live - like LA and Hawaii for us.

I've seen CIBT charge $60 for an electronic visa available from the issuing government on line for under $10 so you'd do well to check them out before them your business.

Jus' sayin'...