Doe NCL think I’m stupid or bored

Bobby Winds

1 hour ago, Bobby Winds said:

I just read my NINETH email from NCL about watching the video to gather a life jacket and report to your station on the ship. Is this normal behavior from NCL. Are we going to have 9 drills while cruiseing?

Wait and see what happens if you miss checking at your muster station. I wasn’t involved but saw the aftermath this morning on the gem

1 hour ago, Bobby Winds said:

I just read my NINETH email from NCL about watching the video to gather a life jacket and report to your station on the ship. Is this normal behavior from NCL. Are we going to have 9 drills while cruiseing?

When you get to your cabin will be on TV and can't change channel until you watch the entire thing. We play and unpack while it's on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well you must expand upon this gem of a tale 

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well you must expand upon this gem of a tale 

I’m guessing they take him/her to a small room and tie them to a heavy wooden chair. Then a TV is turned on with the video on an endless loop until you reach your first port. Only bread and water is served but of course the water is charged to your room…..lol

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Bobby Winds said:

Have you watched the video yet?

When you are onboard, you are forced to watch the 15 minute version before you can turn on your TV to the football game... which may be the only place to see the game.

Edited by BirdTravels

Oh my goodness! I can hardly wait...I'm sailing in late October...

When do they start arriving?? After check-in? Or just haphazardly?

Thanks to those that pointed out it will be on in my stateroom and that the tv will be locked until I get thru it. I've gotten used to doing the unpacking with it on in the background...

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why are you reading them all?

That was my thought too.  I watch the one when I do the check in and the emails all get deleted unopened. On my last cruise I think it was day 3 when I turned the TV on for the first time and I don't remember if the video came on or not. Don't sweat the small stuff...it's a vacation!

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

Wait and see what happens if you miss checking at your muster station. I wasn’t involved but saw the aftermath this morning on the gem

Swabbing the decks?  Walking the plank? Keelhauling? Forcing them to watch the understudy practice for the Donna Summer show on the Viva over and over?

• Haha 2

Neither. They just know way too many cruisers are lazy (ahem... or too busy) and ignore the first dozen emails. And rather than figure out who has and has NOT watched the videos to remind those who have NOT watched the video... they know it is easier to set up a dozen or so scheduled reminder emails to automatically send to EVERYONE. Can't blame them.

As for once on the ship... they directed me to go straight to the safety check station immediately upon boarding. On the gem - it was organized and there were people who actually greeted me at the emergency station I was assigned to, they documented that I showed up at their station, and they  made sure I understood what was going on and where I would find life jackets.

On the Bliss? I was also directed there, but it was disorganized chaos and no one made sure I understood the assignment. And I also don't remember them even acknowledging/documenting that I showed up... and I certainly had no clue where the life jackets were supposed to be and I never found any in my cabin... Thank god the Bliss didn't sink with me on it! 

59 minutes ago, Rosie on my Chest said:

What? No one musters anymore.

WelcoMe to Cruise Critic!

There hasn’t been an in person muster since the pandemic. It is that way on many cruise lines. You still have to check in at your muster station (scan your room key) but it is mostly a drive-by. 

2 hours ago, dlh015 said:

When do they start arriving?? After check-in? Or just haphazardly?

They start the week of cruise. You watch a video when you check in at day 21. Then you watch the “latest” video week of cruise.

You get one email for each person on the reservation. Then again a day or two later (one for each person on the reservation). Systematic, not haphazard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

There hasn’t been an in person muster since the pandemic. It is that way on many cruise lines. You still have to check in at your muster station (scan your room key) but it is mostly a drive-by. 

Yes.  There were.  Fortunately, NCL listened and reverted to what everybody else was doing.  We did an in person, packed under a lifeboat, on the Sky in January 2023.  It was really stupid.  Packed in with Covid-infested cruisers, forced to severely violate the 6' rule for 30 minutes while the PA blabbed something nobody could hear/understand and some kid demonstrated how to put on a life jacket.  Stupid NCL.  They got smarter....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes.  There were.  Fortunately, NCL listened and reverted to what everybody else was doing.  We did an in person, packed under a lifeboat, on the Sky in January 2023.  It was really stupid.  Packed in with Covid-infested cruisers, forced to severely violate the 6' rule for 30 minutes while the PA blabbed something nobody could hear/understand and some kid demonstrated how to put on a life jacket.  Stupid NCL.  They got smarter....

Fair enough. There were no in-person musters on any of our 5 NCL cruises in 2023. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We had an in-person muster on the Bliss after the restart in 2022. It was horribly disorganized and actually instilled little confidence that things would be ok. Glad to hear that is done away with. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thanks. Not coincidentally, I haven't cruised since 2019. So no muster drills sounds great. Stupid or bored, I won't mind just watching a video once on the first day.