Celebrity Error - Build a "Class System" into Your Ships

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

People taking expensive vacations and arguing about “class”.  I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

"I laughed, I cried, it was better than cats"

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, retiredtraveler70 said:

It's hilarious to watch the Celebrity fan-boys cover their views on this subject. Just for the record, no one suggests that people shouldn't get more when they pay more. The only thing that makes it a truly obnoxious "class" system is when those perks are taken away from the bulk of the passengers. That's the only comment made here, one that you and others keep forgetting. 

OK I'll respond since you targeted me and my post.  Not forgetting or ignoring.  Nobody likes things taken away.  But things like new ship design with no forward view is not a perk taken away if it was never there.  Or adding a suite area in the design which more lines are doing these days.  So just sail on a different ship if that's your preference. I don't agree with roping off areas but as I already said I don't use them.  Not sure why you have to insult people with opinions different from yours with derogatory terms like fan-boy.  Not necessary IMO.  You make some good points but no need to use pejorative phrases.  If you are civil your points will be taken more seriously here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

OK I'll respond since you targeted me and my post.  Not forgetting or ignoring.  Nobody likes things taken away.  But things like new ship design with no forward view is not a perk taken away if it was never there.  Or adding a suite area in the design which more lines are doing these days.  So just sail on a different ship if that's your preference. I don't agree with roping off areas but as I already said I don't use them.  Not sure why you have to insult people with opinions different from yours with derogatory terms like fan-boy.  Not necessary IMO.  You make some good points but no need to use pejorative phrases.  If you are civil your points will be taken more seriously here.

TeeRick, respectfully, the forward view was a standard item on the Z, C, C and S class and enjoyed by all.

Celebrity made a deliberate decision to eliminate that. 

This is a significant design change to the ship public spaces after these classes. Yes Celebrity can do this, but that does not mean existing customers are pleased, and some are not based on this thread. I patronized Celebrity from 2001 on Zenith to 2019 on Solstice, then I left as I was displeased at the increasing class distinction.

Given I meet so many "Celebrity Refugees" on the premium and luxury lines I patronize now, and it is the a) class segmentation and b) loss of the forward view that these former Celebrity customers state over and over.

We all enjoy "hanging" with each other without the red carpet, security lines around public venues, etc.

And realize, we can all afford the "retreat", we choose not to.

• Like 3

As a budget cruiser, I have a completely different take.

If someone is willing to pay 8-10x what I am paying to have a balcony, a room that is 50 sq ft larger, and to have a separate dining room, that is fine with me.  Cruisers like that are financing those of us who need none of that.

I have seen the mens of Luminae and Blu and while they are interesting, the regular venues are fine with us.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

TeeRick, respectfully, the forward view was a standard item on the Z, C, C and S class and enjoyed by all.

This is a significant design change to the ship public spaces after these classes. Yes Celebrity can do this, but that does not mean existing customers are pleased, and some are not based on this thread. I patronized Celebrity from 2001 on Zenith to 2019 on Solstice, then I left as I was displeased at the increasing class distinction.

Given I meet so many "Celebrity Refugees" on the premium and luxury lines I patronize now, and it is the a) class segmentation and b) loss of the forward view that these former Celebrity customers state over and over.

We all enjoy "hanging" with each other without the red carpet, security lines around public venues, etc.

Perhaps the removal of the Sky Lounge is why the polls on this board show that most prefer S class.

The special seating in the theater is not a big deal for myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

So your solution to a class system on Celebrity is to spend more money on a premium or luxury line?  And you choose not to pay for the Retreat but you expect the perks of it?  S/M are still there for you to cruise on.  What do you call a membership program if not just another form of class distinction?

Edited by zitsky

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So your solution to a class system on Celebrity is to spend more money on a premium or luxury line?  And you choose not to pay for the Retreat but you expect the perks of it?  S/M are still there for you to cruise on.  What do you call a membership program if not just another form of class distinction?

zitsky, thank you for your post. 

How do you presume I spend more $ on a premium or luxury line when access is available to a myriad of top end restaurants, high level service etc, included in ones fare versus the mass cruise line segregated "haven" costs?

Many CC posters do a most fabulous analysis of the cost versus the bundle of attributes from cruise line x, y, z, a, b, c.

The reality is that due to the rising costs, cruisers are more savvy than ever in analyzing the cost benefits of various options.

Suffice it to say, there are many "Celebrity Refugees" out there and their decision to book other than Celebrity is often due to costs, class segmentation and the loss of the forward view.

Yes, guests can book the C and S class, and many seem to to avoid the E class.

Time will tell indeed on all things. 

But, I enjoy the premium and luxury lines where I can enjoy meeting and dining with everyone.

Be well, time is precious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Yes I do like the forward view and the Sky Lounge and I prefer M-Class and S-Class ships.  I only sailed E-Class once and it was a one and done.  I will say that E-Class has a superior aft view in the Eden area.  But I have many many other choices and have not been a Celebrity-exclusive cruiser for the last several years.  And I have discovered plenty of vacation choices besides cruising too.  This has nothing to do with any perceived Celebrity class system which is primarily in the mind of the beholder.  Who cares how other people choose to spend their time and money?  Not me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you add in all of the costs that Celebrity charges, you will find that you are probably paying more on Celebrity.  Celebrity drink package, upgrade to Celebrity drink package, additional costs per glass of wine, room service charges, Wi-Fi, upgrade to Wi-Fi, specialty dining, chefs table, wine pairing for chefs table, excursions, and more.  Depending upon the line, many of these charges are included in the base fare of a premium/luxury line.  

On my last non-Celebrity cruise I dined at the Chef's table 3 times with wine pairings for no charge.  My additional bill was zero for two weeks.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

The special seating in the theater is not a big deal for myself.

Looking at the reserved seats on the Solstice, they were seats that I would never select unless they were the only ones available.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

Looking at the reserved seats on the Solstice, they were seats that I would never select unless they were the only ones available.

Yep.  The main reason that I purchased it was the price was less than the wifi.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

If you add in all of the costs that Celebrity charges, you will find that you are probably paying more on Celebrity.  Celebrity drink package, upgrade to Celebrity drink package, additional costs per glass of wine, room service charges, Wi-Fi, upgrade to Wi-Fi, specialty dining, chefs table, wine pairing for chefs table, excursions.  Depending upon the line many of these charges are included in the base fare of a premium/luxury line.  

Back in June, a friend asked me about helping him book a cruise for he and his wife.  

He mentioned Icon of the Seas.  I took the date he was interested and found a December 9th cruise out of Miami.  The cost of an inside cabin was $2995 pp

for a seven day cruise with a very ordinary itinerary.

I told him could book a suite room on a Windstar cruise with six port days, great food on a ship of about 400 people for $2295 pp.

Some of the premium lines are not much less than some of the more luxury lines 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlawrence01 said:

As a budget cruiser, I have a completely different take.

If someone is willing to pay 8-10x what I am paying to have a balcony, a room that is 50 sq ft larger, and to have a separate dining room, that is fine with me.  Cruisers like that are financing those of us who need none of that.

Well... I was one of those who was paying 8-10x more and financing many others on the cruise, but I did not realize it. I sure did once I tried a luxury line. For similar dollars as I was paying Celebrity I received an upgraded experience in many ways. So, I decided not to continue to pay over $1000 pp/pd for the Retreat. Oh, the room I booked on Celebrity was usually 1000+ sq-ft larger - not 50.

It is difficult to recognize a class system on the ship when one is "upper class", but those in a lower class often do and may not like it. On luxury lines, occasionally some passengers are upset that they are not catered to in a manner similar to the treatment they received as an upper suite passenger on Celebrity. That surprised me. 

Celebrity does not do a great job with their class system compared to what MSC does for YC passengers. If VIP treatment is important, then the MSC YC is great. Priority well beyond what Celebrity offers. IMO, the Sea Class sailings I have sailed on have a "ship with in a ship" layout superior to the Ascent as far as space and execution, and one can book an inside cabin in the YC with included in room liquor,  a butler, elevator priority override...  choice is great for those willing to venture from their comfort zone.

• Like 2

I think it depends on what you book and how many are traveling, I have looked at the luxury lines as everyone keeps saying how they are cheaper - in my situation they are not they are double (or more) compared to what I would pay with celebrity.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Well... I was one of those who was paying 8-10x more and financing many others on the cruise, but I did not realize it. I sure did once I tried a luxury line. For similar dollars as I was paying Celebrity I received an upgraded experience in many ways. So, I decided not to continue to pay over $1000 pp/pd for the Retreat. Oh, the room I booked on Celebrity was usually 1000+ sq-ft larger - not 50.

It is difficult to recognize a class system on the ship when one is "upper class", but those in a lower class often do and may not like it. On luxury lines, occasionally some passengers are upset that they are not catered to in a manner similar to the treatment they received as an upper suite passenger on Celebrity. That surprised me. 

Celebrity does not do a great job with their class system compared to what MSC does for YC passengers. If VIP treatment is important, then the MSC YC is great. Priority well beyond what Celebrity offers. IMO, the Sea Class sailings I have sailed on have a "ship with in a ship" layout superior to the Ascent as far as space and execution, and one can book an inside cabin in the YC with included in room liquor,  a butler, elevator priority override...  choice is great for those willing to venture from their comfort zone.

How do you think you are financing anyone else’s cruise??

32 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I think it depends on what you book and how many are traveling, I have looked at the luxury lines as everyone keeps saying how they are cheaper - in my situation they are not they are double (or more) compared to what I would pay with celebrity.

Yes!  People keep saying “well I know the cruise you want is more expensive on Celebrity but here’s one you don’t care about that is cheaper on a luxury line.  It’s only $25,000 a person but anyone can afford that. Equality!”  Some of us have done the math but I’m happen to listen to anyone with a like for like.

I ask everyone, how is the entertainment on those 400 person ships?  Because entertainment, food and excursions are why we cruise.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I have paid more money for a luxury line sailing compared to the Retreat and I have paid less. The difference is usually 20% either way without considering the extra inclusions of the luxury line.

In my experience the luxury line sailings were a meaningful improvement in many ways. I sailed side to side in the Mediterranean fall of 2022. Silversea and followed by a Celebrity Edge sailing for a similar per day price. In 2024 I sailed Singapore to Hong Kong on Silversea followed a day later on the Celebrity Solstice Hong Kong to Singapore. I paid 50% more per day for the Celebrity sailing compared to the Silversea sailing. There was no comparison (Silversea wins) in the level of service, variety of dining options, bringing the local culture and food onto the ship, the liquor/wine variety and quality... and, most importantly for me, was the proximity that the ship docked relative to where a typical tourist would like to visit and the amount of time spent in port. I really valued docking at a small port in the city of Saigon on Silversea instead of docking at an industrial port with a two hour bus trip - each way - to Saigon on Celebrity. I did not miss the Vegas style show, buying artwork from Park West, or the unique shopping stops on the said 2 hour bus trip if booked with Celebrity.

I chose Silversea for an April 2025 Japan sailing for a few thousand more than the Retreat - most of that will be made up for with the included excursions and drinks. The benefit that may not be apparent until experienced is the proximity of the ports and, most importantly to me, the duration of time at the port. The ship stays in port until 11pm on many of the stops allowing greater flexibility to sightsee and dine at local establishments - or stay on the ship for dinner (regional food will be offered) and enjoy the local performers who come on the ship.

Some may think that the luxury lines are way more expensive than the Retreat, but they are not  and the port experience is quite different.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Liao said:

How do you think you are financing anyone else’s cruise??

I was responding to another poster... I felt I received more for my money on the luxury line and never really thought about why Celebrity cannot provide the same.

Edited by billc23

46 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

My posts specifically refer to the Retreat costs vs the luxury lines. For those paying Retreat prices the luxury lines may be preferred for a similar cost.

And for some such as us, we prefer the amenities and entertainment that the larger ships give us while still allowing us the choice to book places like the retreat if we want. At this time in our life have no desire to cruise on the smaller “luxury” lines. Celebrity currently fits our needs. People should book what they’re comfortable with. 

• Like 4