Rudeness of Cruisers

I am currently sailing on the Rotterdam on the Jewels of the Baltic cruise. We are about leave Stockholm and have a nice scenic cruise through the archipelago. So we could have a good view, my husband, daughter and I made sure to go to the Crow's Nest early (3 hours) tso we could get good seats with a nice view.  There were regular chairs set up for the overflow of people in the back of the area around the bar...50 or so in neat rows. . About 1 hour before sailing, suddenly there was an influx of people came in. Next thing we knew, they started grabbing chairs and shoving them up by the windows 3 rows deep. The staff tried to stop them but gave up. Anyone who were in chairs not right at the windows now had their views completely blocked off. When someone asked if they could be considerate and move a little so as not to block others..the reply was. "Too bad so sad" and "you can always stand" (I walk with a cane and the person next to ne was in a wheelchair)

Such rudeness is uncalled for. Holland could have handled this so much better. And such a poor representation of our country

So, what I was hoping for a nicely narrated scenic cruise was ruined by rudeness as I am now sitting on my balcony listening to my neighbor hacking up a lung.

• Like 4

The standards of decorum and proper conduct have been deteriorating for some time.  It appears to be a universal phenomenon.  No group of people or nationality is exempt.  I'm sorry that you had to experience this kind of behaviour.

• Like 16

We had a similar experience going through the Panama locks. People draped towels across the top deck viewing area glass, then lined up chairs in such a position that anyone using assistive devices could not gain access to the rail for stability. 

Darcy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I guess you got to pick chairs that guarantee you a sizable slice of window in future. Or offer your neighbor cough drops.

I agree there's no call for rudeness. But I would not expect the crew to intervene regarding the moving of chairs. You got to do the best you can with over 2,000 other people on the ship each trying to do what they can to maximize their own experience, and it can be a challenge sometimes.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 3

I think its just a comment on society (the world) in general.  I don't think this type of behaviour is exclusive to cruisers.

I thnk Holland America could have intervened with some argument about firesafety and keeping rows clear.

that being said, I think most people are generally polite.

• Like 9

Entitled behavior varies cruise by cruise,

sadly my observations are that the worst offenders are the older folks who you might expect to be more polite and those who have a lot of prior cruise experience.

Nationality is a toss up.

I’m 65 and have sailed about 65+ cruises but try not to be one of “those people”.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

I also think there is a lack of decorum and general respect now. I also believe that with some promotions like the 3rd and 4th sail free that that brings certain people onboard that would otherwise not be there. I do not understand why the rules are not enforced-there are plenty of security personnel when we get on and off the ship.

Edited by pirate cruiser
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, colin v said:

And what country is that?

The US. Sorry I wasn't clear. I guess I expect common courtesy. My millennial daughter said that people always complain her generation is rude but they are polite beyond compare to the representation of the silent generation on this ship.

I will continue to try to set an example of politeness.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Entitled behavior varies cruise by cruise,

sadly my observations are that the worst offenders are the older folks who you might expect to be more polite and those who have a lot of prior cruise experience.

Nationality is a toss up.

I’m 65 and have sailed about 65+ cruises but try not to be one of “those people”.

You are right. It is not just Americans. But the rudeness is primarily the 65+ crowd (I'm 62 so I am not trying to be ageist)

I’m also on this cruise.  I went to the bow for the scenic cruising.  The people lining the railings wouldn’t move or let anyone else in.  I’m 4’10”, so lots of people can see over my head but I can’t see anything except the people in front of me.  I tried several different spots and then gave up to watch from my balcony.  I started to go to the Crow’s Nest but I’m glad I didn’t try. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pirate cruiser said:

I do not understand why the rules are not enforced-there are plenty of security personnel when we get on and off the ship.

Crew don't want to say "no" or "don't" to a passenger. That's why we have chair hogs. People do what they want because they know nobody will stop them. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Angel75 said:

I’m also on this cruise.  I went to the bow for the scenic cruising.  The people lining the railings wouldn’t move or let anyone else in.  I’m 4’10”, so lots of people can see over my head but I can’t see anything except the people in front of me.  I tried several different spots and then gave up to watch from my balcony.  I started to go to the Crow’s Nest but I’m glad I didn’t try. 

Good thing..it was awful

On some cruises the deck chairs by the pools are subject to chair hogging and other chair related transgressions, on cold weather cruises it occurs in the Crow’s Nest .  Nothing new here 

I always figure the rudeness is due to the number of people onboard who never get to see the ocean in daily life, so they want to hog the views.  The worst, however, are the people seated near you at dinner hacking up a storm.  A sure recipe for the spread of their illness.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pirate cruiser said:

I also believe that with some promotions like the 3rd and 4th sail free that that brings certain people onboard that would otherwise not be there.

Wow. what type of people are they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Angel75 said:

Could you try to go to one of the upper decks, above the bow?  Those, I think are accessible most of the time (maybe not in inclement weather).  I was out there quite a bit of the time on a recent Volendam Greenland/Iceland cruise.  There was usually lots of room at the railing.  

It's not ideal for those who are mobility impaired, though.

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 1

Maybe we were lucky, but we experienced none of that kind of behavior while on the obsesrvation deck of the NCL Prima while sailing into the fjords at Geiranger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe we were lucky, but we experienced none of that kind of behavior while on the obsesrvation deck of the NCL Prima while sailing into the fjords at Geiranger.

I think that may be in part to the fact that NCL cruisers are typically a younger and more mobile demographic. We're on the younger side of HAL (late 50's) and on the scenic cruises we've done with them (Alaska. Panama Canal and Norway) we were just constantly walking about the ship's viewing areas continually (no moss on us !). I think NCL crowd might be more like that as well - especially with the 8th deck on those Prima class ships.

2 hours ago, Angel75 said:

I'm sorry, but the folks along the rail were NOT being "rude"... they arrived early, staked a position, and should not have to move for those who arrived later.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, julia said:

I'm sorry, but the folks along the rail were NOT being "rude"... they arrived early, staked a position, and should not have to move for those who arrived later.  

I'd say there's not enough "rail space" for everyone to have a bit on a glacier day.  Some sharing would be a friendly gesture.    

• Like 10