Looking for input on dining policies.

goletans

Greetings to you all.

We are seriously considering a cruise on Scenic come 2026. I just learned that Scenic cruises currently has breakfast and lunch as self-serve.

We have cruised with AMA pre-covid and breakfast and lunch were self-serve. Besides this, we really enjoyed our cruise with pre and post extensions.

We are looking for a river cruise where customers are not handling serving utensils nor the foods as a health precaution.

This question should apply to all river cruiselines cruises. Are the meals self-serve or crew- served?

We really want to get back to river cruising, and appreciate all of your experiences on this.

Viking for breakfast have a buffet but also a menu that you can order and never have to leave your seat.  From the menu all food is served from the kitchen directly.

For lunch and dinner - both are menu served at the table.

You never - on a Viking River cruise - have to serve yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goletans said:

We have cruised with AMA pre-covid and breakfast and lunch were self-serve.

During Covid AMA (like many cruise lines) eliminated all self-service at meals.  AMA found that it worked so well they decided to make it permanent.  So all meals are served on AMA now.

• Like 2

Avalon has 3 options for breakfast and lunch - buffet, off a limited menu, or room service. We haven't ordered off menu or through room service (and I know off menu would be fine for lunch but not sure how room service would work if you are going out on an afternoon excursion) so can't say much about them. We find if we get there early, we are usually first to the buffet for breakfast.

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

During Covid AMA (like many cruise lines) eliminated all self-service at meals.  AMA found that it worked so well they decided to make it permanent.  So all meals are served on AMA now.

That is great to know as we didn't enjoy the breakfast and lunch buffet on our Avalon cruise at all.

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On our Rhine cruise this past February, it was a mix of buffet/self serve and table service for breakfast and lunch.

Lunch would feature a "special", for example one day was 'make your own Pho" and another day had german specialities, while breakfast had self serve pastries, fruit, cheeses and yogurts...

17 hours ago, Daisi said:

Avalon has 3 options for breakfast and lunch - buffet, off a limited menu, or room service.

Same on our Scenic cruise. Lunch and breakfast also have the small cafe which is not table service either

and breakfast has the egg station - not table service but omelette made to order and no other passenger could touch the food/utensils involved i n that.

Actually I'm not sure about room service for lunch - probably is,  but never tried it or saw any evidence of it.

Lunch - you could not be sure of being there first as it would depend on morning excursion return times - some return earlier than others and there are always a few people who dont go on the excursions on a given day.

I really think that the OP was asking about whether passengers serve themselves from a buffet or whether there is staff to do the serving. I don't believe the issue was table service. The question came from a health perspective.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I really think that the OP was asking about whether passengers serve themselves from a buffet or whether there is staff to do the serving. I don't believe the issue was table service. The question came from a health perspective.

Yes; that was what I was asking about. Thank you.

On 10/14/2024 at 8:55 AM, Kristelle said:

Actually I'm not sure about room service for lunch - probably is,  but never tried it or saw any evidence of it.

Evidence is in the FAQs on the in-room TV.

There's not an ideal place to eat tho' in a balcony room.

*server problem prevented me posting the room service menu that says lunch/dinner is available

11:00-24:00