Loyalty Benefits Survey

Sea42

I received this survey this morning. There were several questions about what benefits are important to us and how we would feel about loyalty status matching with other lines.

For the ranking of benefits, I chose those that provided monetary value such as free laundry and WiFi, discounts on cruises, beverage pkgs etc. I did not care about events that make me feel "special" or "part of a community".

To be honest, we don't cruise enough to achieve much in the way of status but I love a good survey😁

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I received this survey this morning. There were several questions about what benefits are important to us and how we would feel about loyalty status matching with other lines.

For the ranking of benefits, I chose those that provided monetary value such as free laundry and WiFi, discounts on cruises, beverage pkgs etc. I did not care about events that make me feel "special" or "part of a community".

To be honest, we don't cruise enough to achieve much in the way of status but I love a good survey😁

Over the past decade we have noticed a trend, among multiple cruise lines that we cruise, to offer customers status match.  In fact, the first time we cruised on MSC (their Yacht Club is fantastic) we immediately got into their highest category because they matched our HAL 5* status.  On MSC, the main attraction of the status match was a 5% discount (there are other benefits which really are not important when in their Yacht Club).  We have an upcoming Silversea cruise where that line offered a status match with either Celebrity or RCI.  For us it meant getting a discount (worth about $500) on our first cruise and various amenities such as free laundry,

I imagine that CCL is looking at status match among all their brands, since that is already being done by RCI.  MSC offers status match with cruise lines and hotel brands.  

Status match does upset some long-time loyal cruisers.  However, for the cruise lines it is a win-win since it helps get them new customers and the customer is happy because they gain some amenities.  

By the way, MSC does something that is different.  Their loyalty levels (and benefits) expire if the customer does not continue to cruise the line.  The levels generally hold for 3 years although they did extend that because of COVID.  Since you only get status match one time, it creates an incentive for customers to book.

Hank

• Like 5

DW got it just as I was reading the original post. I have not received it. Interesting new technology...at least I had not seen before, on drag and dropping ranking of issues. I agree with @Sea42 about value items as opposed to "feel good" items. Or as DW and I (I read over her shoulder)...things that cost HAL, versus things that are little or no cost.

• Like 3

One of the things that differentiates cruise line loyalty from other travel and hospitality loyalty programs is that you don't have to constantly re-achieve status with cruise lines. Hotels and airlines generally require so many miles or stays to keep your status. I can earn nights across the entire Hilton or Marriott portfolios, but I need to travel really regularly to keep my status. I'd hate to have to re-up or cruise with a certain regularity to keep my stars.

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since Holland America and Princess are combining loyalty numbers for many mariners, it makes sense they would combine loyalty perks also.

I still think the combining of mariner numbers into one system is quite interesting.....

I agree!  I took the survey just now. 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning!!

I also received the survey like sooo many in the past. I agree with the others monetary value over WOW feel good!! 
I also agree 💯% with @POA1 Brian, I also would hate to re up to keep my stars!️ 

Will see how this goes!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Denise😉

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since Holland America and Princess are combining loyalty numbers for many mariners, it makes sense they would combine loyalty perks also.

I still think the combining of mariner numbers into one system is quite interesting.....

Have different numbers for HAL and Princess but my Seabourn number is the same as HAL's, wife has different numbers for each line.

As we just booked our first cruise with Seabourn I asked customer service about having same number for two different lines. She explained that since their platform is used by all CCL brands and if catches you are already in the system, they will assign that number. She also said she had no idea why it was hit and miss.

26 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'd hate to have to re-up or cruise with a certain regularity to keep my stars.

Agreed! We just don't cruise often enough to keep our status going. I was surprised to see I still have credit for the cruises on Princess. I haven't cruised with them in almost 15 years!

I don't remember the survey asking for an opinion on that though.

24 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Agreed! We just don't cruise often enough to keep our status going. I was surprised to see I still have credit for the cruises on Princess. I haven't cruised with them in almost 15 years!

I don't remember the survey asking for an opinion on that though.

It did not ask that specifically, but I still remember when the hotels went to combined loyalty and upped the annual stay requirements.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dutchman48 said:

Have different numbers for HAL and Princess but my Seabourn number is the same as HAL's, wife has different numbers for each line.

As we just booked our first cruise with Seabourn I asked customer service about having same number for two different lines. She explained that since their platform is used by all CCL brands and if catches you are already in the system, they will assign that number. She also said she had no idea why it was hit and miss.

I did not realize the HAL, Princess, and Seabourn were combining loyalty points. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Right now it's so random that I fear when a big change does take place it's going to be a cluster. 

2 hours ago, Chrissy6299 said:

I just did the survey. I expressed my interest in free internet and free laundry. It's one of those things that I don't like spending money on but they sure are convenient.

We've just progressed to 4-star status, and the peak satisfaction was landing on Free Laundry\

On the other hand, I've read a lot of complaints, when it comes to jumping the line in tendering and the like, about the over-abundance of 4- and 5-star mariners. As W.S. Gilbert said, "If everybody's somebody then nobody's anybody."

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, whogo said:

It is interesting that everyone reports requesting monetary benefits. The biggest stink I recall on the Holland America Cruise Critic board was when the medallion program was dropped.

The medallion program hasn't been dropped, AFAIK. They were issuing them on our April cruise.