Suggestion to End Formal Night Bickering

Tom O.

We have always complied with the dress code for formal nights and sometimes enjoy dressing up. However, lately our cruises have been more important in the ports the ship visits and not for the sailing experience alone. Since the dollar is so devalued it is much cheaper to cruise and get a feel of a place then to do a land visit, not to mention unpacking for the entire cruise, most always knowing where you will eat and what you will eat. As mentioned before the airline weight restrictions making packing a real challange, especially for long cruises with several climate changes. We just finished a 31 day LA to Sydney cruise with a land stay in Australia and had to drag 3 suitcases around (never again). I would have much rather done without the formal nights on this cruise and saved luggage space. We are doing another long cruise next year, Anchorage to Bangkok, with a 12 day land tour in China, so we will have to pack very carefully for the weight. (Again a couple of climate changes.) This is definately a cruise I wish was all casual, and yes, I have checked all other lines and Princess is the ony line going when and where we want to go. Hubby will rent a tux and I will wear my black pants with a couple of fancy tops. Our tablemates will just have to see me wear the same thing again as there will probably be 5 formal nights. I wish it was cheaper to ship luggage home from Asia. Anyboyd have any clever ideas?

so why did YOU post to it????

If you really want to know, I wasn't the first to observe how old this thread was, and the gap (2 months between postings) that existed. I was just wondering why anyone in their right mind would go to the effort of finding and resurrecting a post that has been dormant for 2 months. Especially when the post is on a topic that invariably results in insults and name calling without ever resolving anything. Personally, I have yet to see anything meaningful come out of the dress code threads once you get past providing facts to those that are unaware. It seems to me that those facts are that Princess has a stated dress code, what it is, that there is little or inconsistent communication and enforcement of the policy (but you may be turned away from the dining room if you flagrantly violate it), some passengers will be offended if you don't follow the dress code. Passengers that are aware of these facts can then make informed decisions.

Many cruise passengers are merely a reflection of our larger society which is becomming "bubbafide". This is the term I use to describe an increasing number of Americans who tend to be sloppy, a bit overweight, love buffets and Wallmart, don't own a tie, and have grown in numbers on cruise ships because all of the cruise lines lowered their base fares. Bubbas are now everywhere, not just on NCL. By the way, a Bubba might be a Bubba in Texas but you would call him Vinny in NYC or LA. As the socio-economic levels of cruisers lowers so does the dress code. Those of us who would prefer to see formal night remain throughout the evening are going against an ugly tide.

Many cruise passengers are merely a reflection of our larger society which is becomming "bubbafide". This is the term I use to describe an increasing number of Americans who tend to be sloppy, a bit overweight, love buffets and Wallmart, don't own a tie, and have grown in numbers on cruise ships because all of the cruise lines lowered their base fares. Bubbas are now everywhere, not just on NCL. By the way, a Bubba might be a Bubba in Texas but you would call him Vinny in NYC or LA. As the socio-economic levels of cruisers lowers so does the dress code. Those of us who would prefer to see formal night remain throughout the evening are going against an ugly tide.

What an absurd statement. I guess for some people, oversimplifying is the only way they have of comprehending the complexities of the world.

This type of statement shows why people will never agree on this topic. My DW and I are in our mid 50's and retired. We take our motorhome south for the winters and are in a position that allows us to travel often. We could easily dress up if we desired, but do not desire to do so. I don't consider ourselves bubbas or vinnies, but if some people think of us that way then so be it. We understand that many like to dress for formal night so we will continue to eat at the buffet on those nights with the other bubbas and vinnies.

I often recall a story that my dad tells from his years working for a Mercedes Benz dealership. This takes place in the 70's when people dressed up more than they do today. A man came into the dealership dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. He spent time looking at the various cars, but the sales people did not want to bother with him thinking he was just a lookie-loo. When a salesman finally approached and started talking with the man, he learned that this man owned a well known company in Southern California. The man ended up purchasing a "his" and "hers" MB. Goes to tell that you cannot tell a book by its cover.

Wow. Is Tommy O. aware of the socio economic firestorm he started here? I'm new to this forum and this is the first time I've seen this thread.

As far as the world of cruising becoming "bubbafied", there is a very good reason for that. Money. By making the cost of cruising more affordable to the masses, the cruise lines have tapped into a much larger market than they could ever have if they kept cruising affordable only to the wealthy. Thanks to these legions of bubbas and their collective billions fueling the cruise industry, the ships have grown much larger and elegant with more and more amenities than ever before.

The result of course is that everyone benefits. Bubba gets to feel like a king for a week living at the buffet line and guzzling endless bottles of Bud. Likewise, those of the A-list variety can seek ultimate bliss in the luxury of their spacious suite with equally large verandah, all at a reasonable cost.

As long as bubba doesn't puke on you or fart in your general direction, he should not be looked at with disdain but rather revered for his contribution to the industry. ;)

So the next time you're enjoying a bottle of fine wine on your private verandah, you can thank all the bubbas for that. But if just the sight of bubba makes you ill, then go Crystal next time as you will feel more comfortable hob knobbing with society's elite. Just don't complain about your wallet being a little light. :D

I did not read all the posts, so this may have been said.

But seriously people, how hard is it to dress up for a night or two. You mean to tell me there are people who don't have a nice outfit, or that there are people who are going to complain about looking nice while you're on vacation?

If you can't look decent for one or two nights go to the wisconsin dells.

What an absurd statement. I guess for some people, oversimplifying is the only way they have of comprehending the complexities of the world.
On the other hand, implying that the dress issue is a complex one is really only a means of ignoring the point and perpetuating the argument...right?

On the other hand, implying that the dress issue is a complex one is really only a means of ignoring the point and perpetuating the argument...right?

The dress code itself is not really a complex issue as I stated in post 202. However, why people choose to follow or not follow the suggested dress code is not so simple. Implying that people don't follow the dress code because they are a bunch of ignorant, unsophisticated slobs (Bubbas) or because they are all overly self centered is an oversimplification. It is about as accurate as saying that people that demand adherence to the suggested dress code are a bunch of self centered snobs. There are probably some people that fit these descriptions, but it isn't accurate to paint everyone with that brush--although it is all to easy and frequently done on these threads.

My husband and I are cruising on Crown Princess in a week - our first cruise ever. We are very excited, as this is the first vacation we've taken in over 5 years. We are following the formal dress code and are excited about dressing up, as it is seldom we have the opportunity. So...that said;

I have to say, after reading this message thread and some of the hateful and judgemental comments on both sides of the issue, that I feel very badly for the passengers who cannot afford formal wear or are not comfortable dressing up in the latest fashions. I also feel disappointed for those who look forward to a 'the special perfect formal night of old' who do not feel the night is special enough because other passengers are not dressed equally as formal or fashionable.

To those who are 'upset' by those who do not or choose not the participate in formal night, I would like to say: Many of your fellow passengers have saved for months, if not years, to enjoy the same destinations, activities, and amenities that you do. They simply cannot afford a new wardrobe for their vacation. They may also just want to relax on their vacation; that is what taking time off is for. These passengers are likely very interesting, fun, and honest folks with great experiences and life-stories to share. It is sad that because of their attire, you are annoyed, frustrated, and feel put out, or that your vacation is tainted because of someone else.

To those dress casually: You've paid for this trip with the same money as everyone else. Wear what you feel good in, yet be respectful of those look forward to formal night. Everyone likes cruising for their own reasons and for some; formal night is a really big event.

Let's all just let one another be themselves and be respectful of each other; to me, class is weighed by character, not by cuff-links or sequins.

You were raised right! :) My partner and I don't go to that length, but when we fly we still wear pressed slacks and pressed shirts, appropriate shoes (it amazes me that people do not understand that flip-flops would be of no use in an emergency landing or evacuation). He was raised in an airline family and traveled much in the same way you did as a child. Old habits die hard ... which is a good thing.

To the poster about socioeconomic concerns, I bought my last tux for $130.00 at a suit outlet. The one before that for even less. The number of times I have worn them has far outweighted the cost. You can still dress nicely at bargain prices. It just takes some effort.

I'm sorry, but I really had to laugh at this one. I come from a long line of pilots, both commercial and corporate. I've seen many pilots wear flip-flops when flying commercially. I think this is mostly because they make getting through security so much quicker these days. But, I've even been in little 2 seaters with flip flops on multiple occasions. The chances of being in an airplane crash are extremely low. Plus, were we to be in an airplane crash, chances are we wouldn't be walking away from it....flip-flops or not. :)

I'm sorry, but I really had to laugh at this one. I come from a long line of pilots, both commercial and corporate. I've seen many pilots wear flip-flops when flying commercially. I think this is mostly because they make getting through security so much quicker these days. But, I've even been in little 2 seaters with flip flops on multiple occasions. The chances of being in an airplane crash are extremely low. Plus, were we to be in an airplane crash, chances are we wouldn't be walking away from it....flip-flops or not. :)

I have never seen a commerical airline pilot in uniform, going through airport securuty in 'flip flops.' I have never seen a flight attendant, or flight crew wearing 'flip flops' while crewing a commercial airliner.

I personally, do not think that 'flip flops' are the best shoe, because of the many safety issues with them, for driving a vehicle, piloting an aircraft, or being a passenger on a commercial airliner.

IMHO, they (flip flops) make a fairly decent shower shoe, As far as I'm concerned, thats were they belong, in the shower or poolside!

I don't want to have to look at your bare stinky ugly feet, in public! :eek: Keep your feet covered up!

Please act like and dress like a Gentleman or Lady, should in public! :D

Obviously I didn't mean when they were on duty.......that's not part of the uniform. :)

Beyond that....if you don't want to look at people's feet, then you simply shouldn't look. It's really not something you should be getting so worked up over, as it's not something within your control.

Beyond that....if you don't want to look at people's feet, then you simply shouldn't look. It's really not something you should be getting so worked up over, as it's not something within your control.

Oh darn. I guess I'll have to go somewhere else to get all worked up about something that I can't control. Judging from so many of the posts here, I thought that this was the site people came to when they wanted to get worked up about things outside their control.

If you are going to sell Bubba a ticket, why would you ban him from the dinning room?????

I get it people disagree on this issue, but why doesn't Princess have one of the anytime dinning restaurants formal and one informal when they have two any time dinning restaurants?

Personally my wife likes to get dressed, so I get dressed. It is the least I can do for her.

But, why are we insisting on others getting dressed if Princess will guarantee us a formal dinning experience? Why do we want to make Bubba jump through hoops on his vacation?

Personally I like Bubba. I also like the formal crowd. I think there is a way for most people to get along on this issue.

I have never seen a commerical airline pilot in uniform, going through airport securuty in 'flip flops.' I have never seen a flight attendant, or flight crew wearing 'flip flops' while crewing a commercial airliner.

I personally, do not think that 'flip flops' are the best shoe, because of the many safety issues with them, for driving a vehicle, piloting an aircraft, or being a passenger on a commercial airliner.

IMHO, they (flip flops) make a fairly decent shower shoe, As far as I'm concerned, thats were they belong, in the shower or poolside!

I don't want to have to look at your bare stinky ugly feet, in public! :eek: Keep your feet covered up!

As far as flip flops being unsafe if having to evacuate an aircraft---if you have to go down an emergency slide (most emergency evacuations require this) you will be told to take off you shoes (all kinds) so that you don't risk damaging the slide--so what shoes you are wearing will not make a difference.

When flying for a non-business trip, I often wear flip flops for flying--simply for the convenience and comfort. I'd rather someone wear decent flip flops than have on nice dressy shoes and take them off for the flight, putting their smelly, stocking feet where ever they want (have seen this happen a lot).

I agree that this issue will never be resolved. I am one who thinks anything from Sunday dress, to nice slacks, to sports jacket, even without tie is fine.

The one thing I was glad to see though, was on my recent Coral cruise, they definitely turned someone away at dinner, not even formal night, for wearing shorts. They definitely do not allow shorts at dinner! Now I am for that! By the way, shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch.

Pooh

On the Emerald in April on one of the formal nights in early fixed seating I saw t-shirt and jeans being worn in the dining room by one adult passenger. Turn away policy? What turn away policy?

I would be very happy if sport coats without neckties for men were the suggested Princess policy on formal nights but I don't get to vote.

The bottom line to all of this is Princess, IMHO, is trying to maximize on-board photo revenue on formal nights.

The bottom line to all of this is Princess, IMHO, is trying to maximize on-board photo revenue on formal nights.

Excellent point. Formal attire is much more about selling photos than passengers opinions. Given the fact there are soda cards, coffee cards, ice cream cards, and who knows what else, formal attire is another money maker!

In American society formal attire is becoming more and more a thing of the past. And so is the need for dress shirts and neck ties. Why are we trying to keep a nearly dead horse alive? If we keep buying the photos, we are doing just that. When we the older generation dies off, it may well become a thing of the past, and maybe even sooner.:D

It may sound dumb, but I think the best thing that could happen to threads about this topic is that the moderators shut them down as soon as they are started. NOTHING will be resolved by these ongoing "discussions".

It would be really nice if everyone would would simply accept the fact that some cruiselines allow people to wear whatever they please, while others have standards for appropriate attire.. If going to dinner in the dining room matters to you, pick a cruiseline that has attire standards you can live with.

And if you book a cruise on a line that has standards higher than you prefer, resolve to go with the recommended attire for that cruise. It'll only inconvenience you for a few hours each time you have to dress a little nicer.

If you can't handle that concept, you've booked the wrong cruiseline. Please remember that there are a lot of cruisers who really enjoy dressing up a couple of times during a cruise. And even they don't always choose to have photos taken. It's the dressing up they like.

I'm not a snob nor am I "clothes police". I just think these formal attire / informal attire threads are an exercise in futility, and should be disallowed. It's a waste of thread space.

Archived