Suggestion to End Formal Night Bickering

Tom O.

It may sound dumb, but I think the best thing that could happen to threads about this topic is that the moderators shut them down as soon as they are started. NOTHING will be resolved by these ongoing "discussions".

It would be really nice if everyone would would simply accept the fact that some cruiselines allow people to wear whatever they please, while others have standards for appropriate attire.. If going to dinner in the dining room matters to you, pick a cruiseline that has attire standards you can live with.

And if you book a cruise on a line that has standards higher than you prefer, resolve to go with the recommended attire for that cruise. It'll only inconvenience you for a few hours each time you have to dress a little nicer.

If you can't handle that concept, you've booked the wrong cruiseline. Please remember that there are a lot of cruisers who really enjoy dressing up a couple of times during a cruise. And even they don't always choose to have photos taken. It's the dressing up they like.

I'm not a snob nor am I "clothes police". I just think these formal attire / informal attire threads are an exercise in futility, and should be disallowed. It's a waste of thread space.

Agreed... the moderators should lock these threads at the start. It only creates a lot of bad blood and insult slinging...

The bottom line to all of this is Princess, IMHO, is trying to maximize on-board photo revenue on formal nights.

And you know how the camera adds 10 lbs, seems like it happens every time I get a formal night photo taken. I've forbidden my wife to even suggest having new ones make during a cruise.

• 1 month later...
I don't want to have to look at your bare stinky ugly feet, in public! :eek: Keep your feet covered up!

Please act like and dress like a Gentleman or Lady, should in public! :D

Oh my goodness! GBeret, I just got around to reading your post and I have learned something today. I did not know flip flops were not lady or gentleman like (LOL). Do you think they should be illegal? Call your Congressman today. Who appointed you fashion police anyway? Whoever it was that appointed you needs to be fired. Your tone is scary indeed.

My advice to you is write a book "Fashion Do's and Don'ts" by the GBeret, the fashion police, like I really want to know what it takes to please you.

No, what I really want to say is, if you don't want to look at my feet in public, you should close your eyes or stay out of public yourself. I live in a free country and flip flops are forever.

Your post is probably the shallowest I have ever read. I hope you were just having a bad day.

You might be on to something here. :)

I can't believe people are getting so uptight about this. You're going on a cruise, you're supposed to be having fun and relaxing.

We just finished our first cruise and quite honestly, I enojoyed the dress up nights. I don't get to do it at home, and it was fun.

If you want to wear shorts and tee-shirts on formal nights, then pick a different type of holiday. I think you should respect the ship's request to dress formally,

If you want to flame me for this opinion, go ahead.

If you want to have a great holiday, then why not go with the flow? It really is fun and DH and I have some fantastic photos to show for it.

Janette

I can't believe people are getting so uptight about this. You're going on a cruise, you're supposed to be having fun and relaxing.

We just finished our first cruise and quite honestly, I enojoyed the dress up nights. I don't get to do it at home, and it was fun.

If you want to wear shorts and tee-shirts on formal nights, then pick a different type of holiday. I think you should respect the ship's request to dress formally,

If you want to have a great holiday, then why not go with the flow? It really is fun and DH and I have some fantastic photos to show for it.

Janette

No Flames here!

I agree with your general ideas here. The Princess guidelines are IMHO, very liberal on all modes of dress on shipboard, especially on a formal night.

People here are expressing their opinions, almost everyone has an opinion on any given subject that will be discussed on this board.

I don't happen to think that the regular 'shower shoe' type flip flops, belong on a man or women in a dinning room, on a formal night. IMHO REAL Ladies and Gentleman, follow rules and/or guidelines and dress appropriately for the occasions, as dictated.

Apparently the user '1cats1' has a different opinion, she/he/it is welcome to express their opinion; however, when they choose to include it in a personal attack on another user like she/he/it did, I think its wrong. Personal attacks shouldn't be tolerated on this board! :mad:

IMHO this matter of dress on shipboard, especially on dress for formal nights, will never be settled here on this board. IMHO it's a waste of bandwidth, to bring this subject up again & again! :rolleyes:

The cruise line sets up their suggested dress guidelines, for the various types of dinning facilities, etc. If they don't enforce their own guidelines and allow people to dictate what they want to wear, to a formal dinning event, they may as well throw away any such guidelines and do away with formal nights altogether.

So, IMHO the Cruise lines enforcement or non-enforcement of the guidelines is the key to this problem. They should enforce them or do away with them and have very limited ones. (Shoes & Shirts required.)

I would choose the Cruise line that enforced a dress code much like they have now and had the same formal night guidelines. ;)

Janette

Our family of 8 dressed on formal night in 2005 on the Diamond Princess in

Alaska. This was our first cruise and we had a blast. Tux for the men and really nice formals for the ladies.

I love jeans. I love shorts. I love a nice set of sweats. Breakfast and lunch, ok. Diner, no. Go the the buffet.

I have watched this type of thread over and over and still get a laugh when I see someone say it is their right to dress as they like no matter what.

Pay your money and enjoy your cruise. I hope we meet Janette and her group on a cruise. We will all have fun dressed up for dinner. :D

is it ok to use cell phones in the dining room or is that another thread???:D :D :D

Maybe allow it on formal nights.. or is it the other way around, only at breakfast and lunch....I'm so confused

I'm just kidding, but have you noticed how much it is happening more and more with cell service practically available everywhere?

Im sooo glad they don't allow cell usage on planes in the air...yet

Hi Folks,

May be its me or may be I am just think, but I thought one of the reasons you pick a cruise line was because of what it offered in the way of service and the standards requested.

If you hate kids then do not go on a family ship.

If you hate dressing up do not go on a formal cruise line.

I think you get the point.

Princess trys and does very well at being all things to all people, which means some folk will not be 100% happy on some days.

So the way around all of these problems is in your hands, pick the correct cruise for your own requirements. If you pick wrong then blame yourself and not the cruise line.

yours Shogun

Oh my goodness! GBeret, I just got around to reading your post and I have learned something today. I did not know flip flops were not lady or gentleman like (LOL). Do you think they should be illegal? Call your Congressman today. Who appointed you fashion police anyway? Whoever it was that appointed you needs to be fired. Your tone is scary indeed.

My advice to you is write a book "Fashion Do's and Don'ts" by the GBeret, the fashion police, like I really want to know what it takes to please you.

No, what I really want to say is, if you don't want to look at my feet in public, you should close your eyes or stay out of public yourself. I live in a free country and flip flops are forever.

Your post is probably the shallowest I have ever read. I hope you were just having a bad day.

Was it really necessary to resurrect this post for this rant? Why?

:( I should have not read this thread. Now I'm very upset. I've cruised 7 times on Carnival, NCL, HAL and Princess. We are leaving on Tuesday for number 8.

My husband is 70 and dresses up to go to the doctor. He wears a dark grey suit and tie on formal nights.

I'm 49 and have never owned anything with a sequin on it. I have always worn black skirts or slacks, black shoes and stockings and the nicest top I can find in my closet. For this trip I packed a short sleeved pink sweater top with a little cloth tie at the neckline.

Now I feel I will ruin someone's evening because I don't have some ball gown or cocktail dress and high heels. I don't own any nice jewelry.

I do put on makeup for formal night. And I do the best I can with my hair.

We would never wear shorts or tank tops in ANY dining room at night.

But I am very upset that my formal night attire is not appropriate. And my husband is so looking forward to lobster.

bj:(

:( I should have not read this thread. Now I'm very upset. I've cruised 7 times on Carnival, NCL, HAL and Princess. We are leaving on Tuesday for number 8.

My husband is 70 and dresses up to go to the doctor. He wears a dark grey suit and tie on formal nights.

I'm 49 and have never owned anything with a sequin on it. I have always worn black skirts or slacks, black shoes and stockings and the nicest top I can find in my closet. For this trip I packed a short sleeved pink sweater top with a little cloth tie at the neckline.

Now I feel I will ruin someone's evening because I don't have some ball gown or cocktail dress and high heels. I don't own any nice jewelry.

But I am very upset that my formal night attire is not appropriate. And my husband is so looking forward to lobster.

bippy bj

you do as you choose and wear the things you have chosen on any night you are on the ship, some people think that because they are very affluent they can put their likes and dislikes onto others, you dont live their lives and they dont live yours,

linda

No Flames here!

I agree with your general ideas here. The Princess guidelines are IMHO, very liberal on all modes of dress on shipboard, especially on a formal night.

People here are expressing their opinions, almost everyone has an opinion on any given subject that will be discussed on this board.

I don't happen to think that the regular 'shower shoe' type flip flops, belong on a man or women in a dinning room, on a formal night. IMHO REAL Ladies and Gentleman, follow rules and/or guidelines and dress appropriately for the occasions, as dictated.

Apparently the user '1cats1' has a different opinion, she/he/it is welcome to express their opinion; however, when they choose to include it in a personal attack on another user like she/he/it did, I think its wrong. Personal attacks shouldn't be tolerated on this board! :mad:

IMHO this matter of dress on shipboard, especially on dress for formal nights, will never be settled here on this board. IMHO it's a waste of bandwidth, to bring this subject up again & again! :rolleyes:

The cruise line sets up their suggested dress guidelines, for the various types of dinning facilities, etc. If they don't enforce their own guidelines and allow people to dictate what they want to wear, to a formal dinning event, they may as well throw away any such guidelines and do away with formal nights altogether.

So, IMHO the Cruise lines enforcement or non-enforcement of the guidelines is the key to this problem. They should enforce them or do away with them and have very limited ones. (Shoes & Shirts required.)

I would choose the Cruise line that enforced a dress code much like they have now and had the same formal night guidelines. ;)

Talk about things being taken out of context. GBeret, sorry I offended you and felt I attacked you personally. Your post referenced "commercial flights and I don't want to have to look at your bare stinky ugly feet, in public! :eek: Keep your feet covered up!

Please act like and dress like a Gentleman or Lady, should in public! :D"

If you think I attacked you, you turned around and attacked me. Fair? Are we even now?

The post is about formal night but sounded like that was your take on anything in public if you go back and reread your post. That's what I found harsh. I always comply with formal nights and hope that tradition lives forever. I really enjoy dressing formally, for that matter I dress up every night for the dining room. But you know what? If someone chooses not to dress up that is their business and it is not going to ruin my cruise. I would rather not see it but that is their choice. To each their own. That goes for you, me and everyone else. BTW, I am the one on the plane in flip flops.

Are we done now, or does this call for another counter-attack? Let's have a cease fire. Peace:) !

Bippy, this is your cruise and you do it your way. You are just fine. Some come across as snobs and try to overlook it. Sometimes it is easier said than done. Some people just sound harder than they are. Hey, look at it this way, if you ruin their cruise, they are just looking for excuses to allow their cruise to be ruined. It won't be your fault.

You folks have a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourselves:). Wish I was going with you.

On the subject oif formal evenings I don't posess an evening dress (ie long etc) but I do like to dress very smart on formal nights; does anyone know what the formal night are on the Sea Princess sailing from Jamaica 22nd March 2008 is it 2 nights or three, we are very limited on our luggage as we are flying fro UK. Thank you to any one who can help.

Rob

• 1 year later...
I would respectfully disagree. If you don't want to dress formally as defined by Princess (EVENING GOWNS FOR WOMEN, TUXEDO OR DARK SUIT FOR MEN), then consider other options. NCL has cruises with NO formal nights. You know these recommendations prior to boarding the ship, why should there be any questions about what to wear on FORMAL EVENING other than the color of the GOWN.

Rob

I figure my money is as good as yours! I pay for the cruise and want to enjoy it! If I Choose to dress up fine - if not also fine! As to being limited to a particular ship because they don't have a "dress code" , and line that tried that will be broke PDQ!

I am with they guy above that said if you don't like the way I dress, turn your head or ****! Snobbery should not determine how a person enjoys his/her cruise!

People may gripe and moan about the monkey suits, etc., but on my 2 Princess cruises (Alaska and Hawaii, probably 2 of the most casual locales) all formal nights filled the atrium and the regular dining rooms to capacity. (We had 3 in Hawaii). So, at least from my limited experience, they seem overwhelmingly popular to me.

Maybe the CB will be different but I'm packin' tux.

Same here, on many more Princess cruises. I enjoy them, and it appears most do as well.

Archived