Suggestion to End Formal Night Bickering

Tom O.

Thank you for your suggestion and for taking the time to think outside of the box. In the past we went to Sabatini's on one of the formal nights dressed smart casual. There were others dressed the same as well as others dressed in formal wear. It seems that the majority of passengers participate in formal night and given the size of the specialty restaurants I think that it would be a nightmare making reservations on a ship that carries 3000 passengers. I can remember a time when Princess had 2 formal nights and 2 semi formal nights. Times have changed and things seem to be more relaxed. I can appreciate the fact that you like to dress in black tie however; I would rather put the rental fee towards an excursion. I wouldn't mind if Princess only had one formal night on a 7 day cruise. It would be one less pair of shoes and one less handbag that my wife would pack.

This topic will NEVER be solved. The way it is, is the way it is- Like it or not. If you want to dress up great, if not, thats fine too. Just follow the rules.

I agree with the above post. We do not like formal night and will not dress up, our choice. BUT we also do not complain because the ship has a formal night and do not go against the dress code, we just do not eat in the dining room that night. No problem, don't care what anyone else wears, do not want to change the dress code just to each his own.

Interesting to note that nothing has changed in the last 2 years....lol

Having scanned the 250+ posts (without realising they were 2 years old until page 7!) I think I may have a unique suggestion.

Perhaps Princess could offer a formal themed cruise every so often. Once a month in Alaska, or the Caribbean, or Europe (where ships regularly sail the same itinerary) it could be designated as a formal cruise where black time is required, not suggested, attire on the formal evenings. Those who prefer formal dress could then select that sailing knowing that formal attire will be worn by all on formal nights throughout the ship.

Alternately, as some have suggested, just have one of the anytime dining restaurants as a formal dress required venue...particularly on Diamond/Sapphire where there are 4 anytime dining venues (and make it the Savoy as it has the most traditional decor).

You are correct it is two years old, but some people still would like to find a way for everyone to get along. The sentiment is very valid.

Did you actually read the post that resuscitated this thread. I don't think it was intended to "find a way for everyone to get along". Whether the sentiment is valid or not, finding and resurrecting a two year old thread just to stir the pot seems childish.

Did you actually read the post that resuscitated this thread. I don't think it was intended to "find a way for everyone to get along". Whether the sentiment is valid or not, finding and resurrecting a two year old thread just to stir the pot seems childish.

Stirring the pot is childish

Finding a way for everyone to get along is valid.

People have suggested one anytime dining restaurant casual while the other is formal on the large ships and even this reasonable compromise is not embraced by the dress up crowd.

The dress up crowd is more interested in controlling casual cruisers they can not see on another deck then getting along. And they wonder how casual cruisers can resort to saying "The suit is in the lost luggage".

The OP'S suggestion of segregating the dr's into formal & casual may well be the only logical peaceful solution. Although it wouldn't be possible on all the Princess ships, it certainly would work on the Diamond & Caribbean where there are 2 anytime dr's being used every night. The only drawback I can see it the loss of some possible revenue due to the lack of formal attire not being rented and photo sales and of course the dismay of the true traditionalists who can't bear the changes to their long time way of doing things.

The OP'S suggestion of segregating the dr's into formal & casual may well be the only logical peaceful solution. Although it wouldn't be possible on all the Princess ships, it certainly would work on the Diamond & Caribbean where there are 2 anytime dr's being used every night. The only drawback I can see it the loss of some possible revenue due to the lack of formal attire not being rented and photo sales and of course the dismay of the true traditionalists who can't bear the changes to their long time way of doing things.

Actually the Anytime dining rooms are full on formal night with people dressing formal. It would be impossible to fit all those in the two anytime

dining rooms into one.

Keep in mind that, the majority follow the dress request. Just because you don't, doesn't mean the formal night will be done away with.

Actually the Anytime dining rooms are full on formal night with people dressing formal. It would be impossible to fit all those in the two anytime

dining rooms into one.

Keep in mind that, the majority follow the dress request. Just because you don't, doesn't mean the formal night will be done away with.

Oh I do realize that most folks do adhere to the suggestion that Princess posts whether out of formality, because their spouses forces them to or just because they don't want to offend anyone BUT give the opportunity to not dress formally & still be admitted into the main DR, I wonder how many would still choose the formal route. I have the distinct impression that given the choice, the casual DR would be the first to fill up considering how inconvenient is is lately to pack the extra clothing and not pay extra to the airline.

After many cruises of dressing in formal clothing, we decided that we no longer wish to carry the extra clothes, etc. We always hurried to our cabin to change clothes before the show, etc. So, we do smart casual and avoid the area on the formal night. To some people, dressing up is an important part of the cruise. For that reason, we do our best to avoid the areas on formal night where our attire may seem inappropriate.

do I wish every night in the DR was smart casual? yes. Am I going to the DR on formal night dressed in anything other than formal? No.

Shirley

After many cruises of dressing in formal clothing, we decided that we no longer wish to carry the extra clothes, etc. We always hurried to our cabin to change clothes before the show, etc. So, we do smart casual and avoid the area on the formal night. To some people, dressing up is an important part of the cruise. For that reason, we do our best to avoid the areas on formal night where our attire may seem inappropriate.

do I wish every night in the DR was smart casual? yes. Am I going to the DR on formal night dressed in anything other than formal? No.

Shirley

Wow do they ever have you Buffaloed. We've been doing the same as you do (changing after dinner) but cowering down to the formal crowd and avoid being seen in certain parts of the ship to please them is a little to much. Other than in the dining room, where it's suggested, there are no dress requirements anywhere on the ship. Years back it used to be throughout the whole ship but that was before the Horizon buffet was offering dinner in the evenings.

:( I should have not read this thread. Now I'm very upset. I've cruised 7 times on Carnival, NCL, HAL and Princess. We are leaving on Tuesday for number 8.

My husband is 70 and dresses up to go to the doctor. He wears a dark grey suit and tie on formal nights.

I'm 49 and have never owned anything with a sequin on it. I have always worn black skirts or slacks, black shoes and stockings and the nicest top I can find in my closet. For this trip I packed a short sleeved pink sweater top with a little cloth tie at the neckline.

Now I feel I will ruin someone's evening because I don't have some ball gown or cocktail dress and high heels. I don't own any nice jewelry.

I do put on makeup for formal night. And I do the best I can with my hair.

We would never wear shorts or tank tops in ANY dining room at night.

But I am very upset that my formal night attire is not appropriate. And my husband is so looking forward to lobster.

bj:(

BJ, the upset is not necessary.

You state: "I have always worn black skirts or slacks, black shoes and stockings and the nicest top I can find in my closet". This is well within the norm for what I have observed ladies wearing on formal nights.

The essence of formal night is to have a romantic evening with your spouse (or travelling partner), and dressing nicely is a vehicle to enhance the experience. BJ, your dressing with the "nicest top I can find" is exactly what will help make the evening special for you and your husband.

Will there be people with glitzier outfits? Certainly. Will there be well dressed people in understated beauty like yourself? Absolutely.

Will there be "fashion police" criticizing what you wear? No. (Although I will mention there are some people who will complain about anything, but they don't count.)

So dress well, enjoy the evenings, and have a fantastic cruise!

To chime in-- for what it is worth- NCL does not offer the same itinerary and many take cruises for the ports of call not the formal nights- hard as that may be to believe. Also with airlines being more restrictive it is hard to pack formal, casual, and all of the other types of dress that you need for a 12 day cruise in a single suitcase or to drag multiple suitcases through train stations in Europe.

The days of the Vanderbilts arriving at the pier with their multiple trunks are problematic in today's world whether you are on NCL or Princess Cruise Lines.

I for one like the idea expressed at the beginning of this thread as a reasonable compromise and also I think eating in the evening with someone in shorts and tennis shoes is not something that should be allowed. There is a common sense place between shorts and tails.

On the formal nights, they could turn the specialty restuarants into casual, Anytime Dining with no dress code, ie shorts, jean, t-shirts, tank tops, bib overalls. The other dining rooms would all be formal, ie coat & tie or better.

I don't see the problem with putting on a Tux or a suit and tie a couple of times during the cruise.........what bugs me are the "cruisers" who don't bother.............and the ones that turn up on regular nights with T shirts, jeans, shorts, flip flops etc..........stay in the Buffet with your plate full of fries!!!

On the formal nights, they could turn the specialty restuarants into casual, Anytime Dining with no dress code, ie shorts, jean, t-shirts, tank tops, bib overalls. The other dining rooms would all be formal, ie coat & tie or better.

Why must people always take the non formal to extremes. Wouldn't a specialty Anytime dining room with business casual clothing be OK?

Why must people always take the non formal to extremes. Wouldn't a specialty Anytime dining room with business casual clothing be OK?

I thought the anti-formal people felt it was thier vacation and they could wear what they want. Are you trying to impose a dress code on those who don't want one?

I often wonder. They tend to focus on the the few not looking like them, not thousands of lovely dressed people. All the cruises I have been on, there were so many people nicely dressed, even over dressers. I am sure those will be next on their list once they get the others to conform;):D Over dressers are dress code violators, so they should be kicked out of the buffet :-)

I thought the anti-formal people felt it was thier vacation and they could wear what they want. Are you trying to impose a dress code on those who don't want one?

Not at all. All I'm saying is that there could be a formal dress dr with at least 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise & a casual dress dr for all evenings (just as it exists today). No one gets upset by those not dressing formally & everyone gets to sit in a dining room without having to resort to the buffet. If you care to wear a baseball cap, shorts, bathing suit, bib jeans or whatever then eat at the buffet.

Not at all. All I'm saying is that there could be a formal dress dr with at least 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise & a casual dress dr for all evenings (just as it exists today). No one gets upset by those not dressing formally & everyone gets to sit in a dining room without having to resort to the buffet. If you care to wear a baseball cap, shorts, bathing suit, bib jeans or whatever then eat at the buffet.

Why should they be banished to the buffet? Sounds like you are saying you want the dress code to exactly match what YOU want to wear. What a hypocrit.

Why should they be banished to the buffet? Sounds like you are saying you want the dress code to exactly match what YOU want to wear. What a hypocrit.

I personally don't care what anyone wears or doesn't wear as it doesn't affect my cruise in the slightest. I was only being nice about the situation to suggest the buffet, not like some hard nosed people on this board would say. Either way I'll continue to enjoy myself dressed the way I would dress at a nice restaurant where I live and if the others don't like it, well so be it. I know that Princess will accept me dressed as I am and seat me just like the fully dressed formal people.

I personally don't care what anyone wears or doesn't wear as it doesn't affect my cruise in the slightest. I was only being nice about the situation to suggest the buffet, not like some hard nosed people on this board would say. Either way I'll continue to enjoy myself dressed the way I would dress at a nice restaurant where I live and if the others don't like it, well so be it. I know that Princess will accept me dressed as I am and seat me just like the fully dressed formal people.

Eventually the dress up crowd will realize casual cruisers are here to stay, but currently they seem to view us as a threat to their cruising way of life. I guess they are in denial because I always see other casual cruisers in the MDR

Archived